CVS or Riteaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have offers from both pharmacies.

CVS $50/hr 30hr/wk
Riteaid 56/hr no guaranteed hours but staff spot opening within one month

Which would you take?

Members don't see this ad.

Having worked for both, Rite Aid would be my choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
They both sound terrible.. I am so sorry...

Reactions: 4 users
Not CVS. You will regret it. Rite aid isn't a lot better. Only as a starter job. Leave as soon as you get enough experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to say based on the limited info that you provided.

I sucked in geography, but these locations are almost on the opposite sides of the country. Where do you want live? Can you save money living in one state vs the other?

Also, it depends on the district, district manager, staff, float vs staffing, etc.

Having said that, in general CVS is a sweatshop, I'd go with Rite Aid.

CVS in NC
RiteAid in CO

I am guessing the rite aide is on the western slope grand junction/fruita area. Good area to live probably the last affordable area in Colorado. Choose it. There is no future in retail pharmacy but if you are a new grad, it will provide some income. In that area of Colorado there are hospitals you might be able to get on board with. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to say based on the limited info that you provided.

I sucked in geography, but these locations are almost on the opposite sides of the country. Where do you want live? Can you save money living in one state vs the other?

Also, it depends on the district, district manager, staff, float vs staffing, etc.

Having said that, in general CVS is a sweatshop, I'd go with Rite Aid.

Most things between the two geographical areas are similar and I’ve considered both before being in this situation. Both are floating positions. NC has better schools but a longer commute time. CO has higher crime rate and not as good schools. Mostly looking for insight company wise. I totally understand cvs is high stress and pretty much no one likes it there. But are the guaranteed hours worth it? Will riteaid stick around through another wave of pandemic or long enough to have a career with?

Seems rather low for starting (vs. recent historic average)...what area of the country?

That is the going rate now. Historic average is irrelevant.

I'm with rite aid now. I have my fair share of complaints about the company but it definitely seems better than my friends working for CVS/Walgreens. But not by a whole lot.

I'd be careful about the whole no guaranteed hours though. You're probably not eligible for benefits then?

For what it's worth, I know someone who accepted a very similar position. The staff position that was referenced was cut to part time and since she has no guaranteed base, she often only works 1-2 shifts per week.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

CVS should be the last resort for everyone..

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Places like Walgreens and CVS should simply advertise the job as a stepping stone. A temporary situation until something better is found.

They asked for it.... Now much of the real talent has left retail.

I worked for Walgreens for 2 weeks until I got a much more desirable job. It was nothing more than a stepping stone for me and I felt great about my decision. Blacklist or not...

I'm with rite aid now. I have my fair share of complaints about the company but it definitely seems better than my friends working for CVS/Walgreens. But not by a whole lot.

I'd be careful about the whole no guaranteed hours though. You're probably not eligible for benefits then?

For what it's worth, I know someone who accepted a very similar position. The staff position that was referenced was cut to part time and since she has no guaranteed base, she often only works 1-2 shifts per week.

This is what scares me about riteaid. Otherwise I would definitely pick it over cvs after all the horrible things I’ve heard. But I have kids to provide for, I need reliable income.

Places like Walgreens and CVS should simply advertise the job as a stepping stone. A temporary situation until something better is found.

They asked for it.... Now much of the real talent has left retail.

I worked for Walgreens for 2 weeks until I got a much more desirable job. It was nothing more than a stepping stone for me and I felt great about my decision. Blacklist or not...

Retail is not my endgame either. But I am a new grad and retail is pretty much the only way I can get some experience as a newly licensed pharmacist.

Retail is not my endgame either. But I am a new grad and retail is pretty much the only way I can get some experience as a newly licensed pharmacist.

Yup... do your time - earn your bones. Then move on to a better job. That’s what I did.

CVS $50/hr 30hr/wk

Which would you take?

what's your work history like? where have you worked before? CVS definitely has a longer learning curve and you will hate your life when you first get started unless you get lucky and get placed in a super slow store

also unless you are staff the 30/wk they say they are guaranteeing may not happen every week

Maybe you can call some rite aid stores in that district and ask some pharmacists how many hours new grads typically get, and if they get benefits? Might give you an idea. I would trust working pharmacists over the DM to tell the truth.

I worked at Walgreens during school, rotated at cvs and Omnicare and agree CVS’s system was hard to learn. What system does riteaid use?

What can I do if they don’t give me the 30 hrs? If they gave me a contract aren’t they obligated to give me at least that? Don’t people give up shifts frequently because they hate going there, that’s how it was at Walgreens at least.

Rite Aid uses NexGen (or NextGen? Idk, it's spelled both ways depending on where you look). Definitely the most user friendly system from what I've seen.

I'd really try to figure out how many hours you'd actually be working and if you're eligible for benefits. Honestly if they're expecting a staff position to open within the month, you should be able to be hired as a full time (60hrs biweekly) floater. By the time you finish onboarding they'd have to find hours for you for only a week or two. If they're not willing to do that then I would imagine they don't actually expect to have enough hours for you down the road.

Rite aid hands down. If you are any sort of tech savvy, IE: you know how to use a cell phone, you'll want a system that's user friendly. CVS is so archaic it's basically upgraded dos/Linux. It crashes and has bugs like no other. Nexgen is superior to any system I've seen such is wags and pdx.

Also, fewer metrics and more help makes it less stressful.

I worked at Walgreens during school, rotated at cvs and Omnicare and agree CVS’s system was hard to learn. What system does riteaid use?

What can I do if they don’t give me the 30 hrs? If they gave me a contract aren’t they obligated to give me at least that? Don’t people give up shifts frequently because they hate going there, that’s how it was at Walgreens at least.

They're not obligated to give you anything. Your hours can be cut from full time to part time or you can be terminated for any reason at any time.

Did you apply to any hospital pharmacist job listings in rural areas?

Did you apply to any hospital pharmacist job listings in rural areas?

I’ve applied to a few hospitals. Overall I put in 20ish applications, got two interviews and two offers.

They're not obligated to give you anything. Your hours can be cut from full time to part time or you can be terminated for any reason at any time.
Wouldn't a change to hours count as a salary adjustment? I'm sure that varies by state but whenever I've been scheduled under my base I'm still paid out my normal salary.

Did DM tell you where staff position will be so you can call and investigate how many hours? You can work there but live in area with better schools just have to commute or later change job. Or worst case you rent a cheap room and your family stay where they are for now

$50/hr is pathetic. People with bachelor's and master's degrees can make that much with not even half the education or a third of the debt. I would try to negotiate a higher wage.

$50/hr is pathetic. People with bachelor's and master's degrees can make that much with not even half the education or a third of the debt. I would try to negotiate a higher wage.
Where have you been?

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't a change to hours count as a salary adjustment? I'm sure that varies by state but whenever I've been scheduled under my base I'm still paid out my normal salary.

That's because you're still programmed as full time in the system. They can change your status to part time, then they won't owe you the hour. I know of one pharmacist who went from 40 hours full time to 20 hours part time.

I decided to take my chances with riteaid. It came down to commute times, 15mins with riteaid or 1+hr for cvs. I will hate spending two hours of my day commuting especially in the snow when it’s even longer.

Reactions: 2 users

Not sure you are grounded in reality. Are you still a student?

Pathetic is a strong word.

Do not negotiate. That’s wrong advice. Rite aid and CVS can replace you with someone instate

In order to negotiate successfully, one must have leverage. A new grad has none. This isn't 2001.

Having said that, It's mind boggling that almost a decade a ago as a new grad I was paid more than new grads today. YIKES!

Last edited:
take the position with higher pay/better benefit
Retail is all the same, just take what you can

what's your work history like? where have you worked before? CVS definitely has a longer learning curve and you will hate your life when you first get started unless you get lucky and get placed in a super slow store

also unless you are staff the 30/wk they say they are guaranteeing may not happen every week
Unless you are lucky and they place you in Target/CVS

take the position with higher pay/better benefit
Retail is all the same, just take what you can

CVS is the worst of the retail. CostCo is the best- they treat their employees well, no drive thru, adequate help, working not in terrible locations/ neighborhoods. No angry customers in Costco
Retail hierchy:

Costco> Sam’s club>Publix > Pill pack/Amazon> Independent>Target/ CVS>Kroger=Winn Dixie=Safeway=Albertsons> Walmart>RiteAid>Walgreens=CVS

Last edited by a moderator:
CVS is the worst of the retail. CostCo is the best- they treat their employees well, no drive thru, adequate help, working not in terrible locations/ neighborhoods. No angry customers in Costco
Retail hierchy:

Costco> Sam’s club>Publix > Pill pack/Amazon> Target/ CVS>Kroger=Winn Dixie=Safeway=Albertsons> Walmart> Independent>RiteAid>Walgreens=CVS

Haha I love how you rated independent so low... Everyone keeps saying that independent is the best.

Retail hierchy:

Costco> Sam’s club>Publix > Pill pack/Amazon> Target/ CVS>Kroger=Winn Dixie=Safeway=Albertsons> Walmart> Independent>RiteAid>Walgreens=CVS
I don’t believe in the notion that Costco customers are saints while customers going to other pharmacies are devils
I’m sure customers are happier at lower volume locations (like many supermarket pharmacies), but low volume is only nice until you’re out of business

Haha I love how you rated independent so low... Everyone keeps saying that independent is the best.
But doesn’t pay less than grocery store? Quality of life is way better though. I changed independent because quality of life is better than chain stores

I don’t believe in the notion that Costco customers are saints while customers going to other pharmacies are devils
I’m sure customers are happier at lower volume locations (like many supermarket pharmacies), but low volume is only nice until you’re out of business

I doubt Costco will be out of business. I have not heard of Costco cutting hours for pharmacists compared to the other grocery stores. My colleague in pharmacy used to say once you are employed by Costco, you never leave. Costco I heard pays their pharmacists well at $64/hr with really good help. Whenever I was shopping in Costco, there would be 1 pharmacist with two techs.

CVS pushes the metrics the hardest with inadequate help, which is why CVS is last option and the pay is decreasing to $45-50/hr

Also, you statement about low volume mainly applies to Target/cvs, Kroger, Winn Dixie, Safeway and Albertsons who are independent grocery chains that are hurting big time in stocks due to Amazon buying Whole Foods and Pill pack. Costco pharmacy dispenses moderate volume of scripts, not too high like CVS and Walgreens for pharmacists to experience burn out and not to low that can put a store out of business like Kroger

I doubt Costco will be out of business. I have not heard of Costco cutting hours for pharmacists compared to the other grocery stores. My colleague in pharmacy used to say once you are employed by Costco, you never leave. Costco I heard pays their pharmacists well at $64/hr with really good help. Whenever I was shopping in Costco, there would be 1 pharmacist with two techs.

CVS pushes the metrics the hardest with inadequate help, which is why CVS is last option and the pay is decreasing to $45-50/hr

Costco likes pharmacies bc a lot of the time pts will have to come back another day and do additional shopping and/or have long wait times. I don't see them closing either. One of the few places that I see actually put their drug prices online.

Also, being closed on Sundays is great for a better quality of life. If I had the choice to start my career again, I'd do costco

The initial question made me think- what devil do you want to poke your ass with a pitchfork for all eternity- Satan or Beelzebub?

yeah but good luck trying to get in to Costco lol

kroger > walmart > rite aid > walgreed> cvs

I've worked at kroger, walmart, rite aid, and cvs as a pharmacist. I ignore all cvs/walgreed/rite aid job postings. You will regret taking any job with those 3 companies.

CVS $50/hr 30hr/wk

Which would you take?
This are no guarantees really, unless you have it written in stone in a contract that contains no words that essentially all the contract to be changed at will.