CVS Pharm Tech to Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S72004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I work for CVS as a Pharmacy Technician, I was wondering if CVS keeps you like a "loyalty" thing and they will offer you a job as a Pharmacist after all is done.

I graduated from Unviersity with a degree in Chemistry and I will be going back to get my pre-reqs completed so I can apply to pharmacy school. I am just worried of going into debt and spending 4 years without getting a job after Pharm School.

Does CVS offer you a job since you are already in or do you have to "find a job from scratch" since there is talk about Pharmacist jobs going downhill, I want to make sure.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

You are not guaranteed a job. You will be given preference over outside hires for intern and Rph positions assuming you have a good relationship with the rx sup (your pics boss) and don't suck at what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's no longer a guarantee. Also, huge difference in being a pharmacy technician and pharmacist at CVS. When I was a pharmacy technician at CVS, I loved it. The customers didn't bother me, and no matter how crazy it got, it didn't bother me. Fast forward to becoming a pharmacist for the company, and it's the opposite. I hated every minute of being a pharmacist with CVS. I knew it sucked from the first day I worked as an RPh. The amount of pharmacists that quit CVS is alarming. It tells you something is very wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's no longer a guarantee. Also, huge difference in being a pharmacy technician and pharmacist at CVS. When I was a pharmacy technician at CVS, I loved it. The customers didn't bother me, and no matter how crazy it got, it didn't bother me. Fast forward to becoming a pharmacist for the company, and it's the opposite. I hated every minute of being a pharmacist with CVS. I knew it sucked from the first day I worked as an RPh. The amount of pharmacists that quit CVS is alarming. It tells you something is very wrong.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Reactions: 1 user
BTW OP there is a huge difference between "guaranteed a job" and "starting from scratch". The truth lies somewhere in-between those two extremes.

So you dated CVS as a tech, and now you want to walk the isle and work there as a pharmacist? I suggest you get that head looked at...

It's no guarantee; however, it would be wise not to burn any bridges & keep ties by working at other CVSs in proximity to wherever you go to school. There is nothing wrong with working retail/community to start off for financial reasons, lifestyle/time management, location, know what to expect, etc. If anything, having a past Hx will be favorable in that you would require significantly less training whenever you do start off (other benefit) rather than having to relearn an entirely foreign computer system (much less stressful especially when starting off).

Try to work as an intern in school.

My district only hired 10 interns 2 years ago. The rest had to move across the country to undesirable areas or took jobs with other companies.

And yet, there is never anyone available to cover sick calls and they beg you to work last minute.

By the way this applies to all of pharmacy. I know interns from Wags, Rite Aid (now Wags), Target (now CVS), grocery stores, hospitals (this includes PGY-1 & 2 residents), long term cares, etc. who were with the companies for several years and did not get the job. There simply aren't enough spots to accommodate the thousands of pharm students that get pumped out each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You are not guaranteed a job. You will be given preference over outside hires for intern and Rph positions assuming you have a good relationship with the rx sup (your pics boss) and don't suck at what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
True that.

But know the metrics cold. I knew a P4 who slaved away at CVS throughout school, but didn't get a pharmacist position afterwards. He failed his job interview because the only questions they asked him was about metrics.

Saint Larry has no use for
nonbelievers.

Last edited: