Cvs pharmacist raises

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In northern Illinois, many cvs pharmacists have gotten raises. The company was worried they would leave so they increased the salary. Have you doing this at your pharmacy too?

Members don't see this ad.

what is the going rate for staff and pic in illinois?

I am not in northern Illinois (although when I was a kid I lived in Kankakee). But this is the first year I have received a raise since 2018.

I will say though the raise was not very impressive at all (about 1%).

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in northern Illinois (although when I was a kid I lived in Kankakee). But this is the first year I have received a raise since 2018.

I will say though the raise was not very impressive at all (about 1%).
With how expensive everything is these days , it’s funny how even a six figure pharmacist salary is just not enough . Food, gasoline, rent/mortgages , etc ridiculously expensive and these chains are getting away with paying 2008 salaries . I would say 300k/year is the new $100,000. With inflation our salaries are whittled down to a worth probably of around $65k. Not much money anymore .

With how expensive everything is these days , it’s funny how even a six figure pharmacist salary is just not enough . Food, gasoline, rent/mortgages , etc ridiculously expensive and these chains are getting away with paying 2008 salaries . I would say 300k/year is the new $100,000. With inflation our salaries are whittled down to a worth probably of around $65k. Not much money anymore .

It really isn't, as raises have never even kept up with inflation since at least 2013 when I first graduated. So really, we've been taking pay cuts the entire time.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
It really isn't, as raises have never even kept up with inflation since at least 2013 when I first graduated. So really, we've been taking pay cuts the entire time.
It’s outrageous . I live in south Florida in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale metropolitan area and in Miami the median income is about $35,000 a year . Majority of people make $12-$20 an hour . Rents here are over $2k a month . How they survive here I do not know . I make $120k before taxes and feel poor . I cannot imagine everyone else under my salary level . Keep it up and soon the middle class will be nonexistent .

Lol this discussion is hilarious. It’s like some people are right on the cusp of discovering class consciousness. Yes, the problem of salaries not keeping pace with inflation is a very serious one.

I definitely don’t know how young families with average salaries are able to make ends meet.

Reactions: 10 users
Lol this discussion is hilarious. It’s like some people are right on the cusp of discovering class consciousness. Yes, the problem of salaries not keeping pace with inflation is a very serious one.

I definitely don’t know how young families with average salaries are able to make ends meet.
Always aware of how inflation erodes purchasing power but in my lifetime I’ve never seen anything like this . Gasoline, rents , food, enough to drive people insane . And people still want to have children ? It’s a formula for getting yourself in debt and stressed out these days . When $120k a year is “nothing special” or $200k in New York City or SF is pretty much nothing then you know there is a problem .

Every day I ask myself this question. When I was in my 20s I was a floor manager for a big box retail store. I was making about 40k salary and working about 45-50 hours a week. This was early 2000s (around 2003).

I can honestly say that I have reached a point in my income where I feel like my budget, proportionately, is almost identical to where it was then and now my salary is about 115k yearly (I know I’m one of the lower paid pharmacists but trust me my job is way more desirable than most).

I have a nice pool of savings which I have grown via investing so I’m okay - however, I am going broke from an ins/outs standpoint.

The only way that families can make it on low income jobs is for everyone in the household to work full time and then maybe even rent space out in their homes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I truly wonder how my parents ever made it raising me and my siblings, considering they made far less.

Things were also far less expensive and simple back then. Houses were 10k. One car per family, no bells and whistles. Most Dads worked while the wife stayed home and took care of the kids. Student loans, what's that? They weren't buying thousand dollar phones, tablets, video game consoles and computers back then - kids played with pots and pans and went outside. No internet bill etc. No expensive clothing brands. Some townies grew up with 11 kids in a 2-3 bedroom house.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably by walking 12 miles a day in the snow uphill both ways?
with hot potatoes in their pockets to keep their hands warm, which would later serve as their lunch

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Things were also far less expensive and simple back then. Houses were 10k. One car per family, no bells and whistles. Most Dads worked while the wife stayed home and took care of the kids. Student loans, what's that? They weren't buying thousand dollar phones, tablets, video game consoles and computers back then - kids played with pots and pans and went outside. No internet bill etc. No expensive clothing brands. Some townies grew up with 11 kids in a 2-3 bedroom house.

Dear lord man, do you think I was born in the 60s or something?? lol. I was born in the 80s and houses definitely didn't cost 10k.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Dear lord man, do you think I was born in the 60s or something?? lol. I was born in the 80s and houses definitely didn't cost 10k.

Okay. Houses were like 70k. The rest still applies. One working spouse, one car per family, no student loans.

Every day I ask myself this question. When I was in my 20s I was a floor manager for a big box retail store. I was making about 40k salary and working about 45-50 hours a week. This was early 2000s (around 2003).

I can honestly say that I have reached a point in my income where I feel like my budget, proportionately, is almost identical to where it was then and now my salary is about 115k yearly (I know I’m one of the lower paid pharmacists but trust me my job is way more desirable than most).

I have a nice pool of savings which I have grown via investing so I’m okay - however, I am going broke from an ins/outs standpoint.

The only way that families can make it on low income jobs is for everyone in the household to work full time and then maybe even rent space out in their homes.
Government handouts. There's alot of em. Keep making babies, for more government $$$

• Okay...
Government handouts. There's alot of em. Keep making babies, for more government $$$

Please explain. I have a kid and get $2k/year tax credit. That covers diapers and not much else. That's like half a paycheck. Can't even buy 1 share of Google or Amazon with that.

You should be mad at people who buy electric vehicles ($7500 tax credit + state rebate usually around $2500) and solar panels (26% - no limit that I'm aware of so it can be tens of thousands). They get much more tax credits than someone with a kid.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Please explain. I have a kid and get $2k/year tax credit. That covers diapers and not much else. That's like half a paycheck. Can't even buy 1 share of Google or Amazon with that.

You should be mad at people who buy electric vehicles ($7500 tax credit + state rebate usually around $2500) and solar panels (26% - no limit that I'm aware of so it can be tens of thousands). They get much more tax credits than someone with a kid.
I'm talking about people who make much less than you. The ones that were quoted. I knew a receptionist who got so many entitlements for being a single mom with 2 babies it wasn't worth it for her to work anymore. So she doesn't. Section 8 housing, free childcare, free health insurance, not married etc

Reactions: 1 users
I'm talking about people who make much less than you. The ones that were quoted. I knew a receptionist who got so many entitlements for being a single mom with 2 babies it wasn't worth it for her to work anymore. So she doesn't. Section 8 housing, free childcare, free health insurance, not married etc

The government incentivizes laziness.

• Okay...

Oh. 👍

I have made a lot of babies - 5 total. I like making babies to be honest.

I will say it has been very helpful with my student loans. Outside of that, it has not helped a whole lot financially.

We also have a dog, a G. Pig, and we raise ant colonies. It’s like a circus of life in my house.

(I did my part in trying to deter the conversation from getting political. Anyone else like making babies?)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I have made a lot of babies - 5 total. I like making babies to be honest.

I will say it has been very helpful with my student loans. Outside of that, it has not helped a whole lot financially.

We also have a dog, a G. Pig, and we raise ant colonies. It’s like a circus of life in my house.

(I did my part in trying to deter the conversation from getting political. Anyone else like making babies?)

I'm trying to get my IBR/PAYE payment to be under $300 a month.

I'm trying to get my IBR/PAYE payment to be under $300 a month.

At approximately 180k student loans left - I pay about 350/month (back when student loans were a thing) with my IBR/PAYE

Our house has more than doubled in estimated listing price in the past 4 years, and my $/hr is the same as it was in 2014. It's absolutely insane.

Why is this Heist guy posting cringe in pharmacy?

how did you a payment that low?

I have 5 children and a household income of about 110k. That is all there is to it really.

My wife is not employed and has not been employed for about 12 years

I have 5 children and a household income of about 110k. That is all there is to it really.

My wife is not employed and has not been employed for about 12 years
Sh**. How do you do it ?5 people on $110k ? That’s rough . You must love children .

Maybe it's because I live like a hermit and don't have a wife/kids, but I have plenty of leftover money to invest with. I'm not financially struggling at all. My only concern is my job putting me in the hospital, which would bankrupt me...

• Sad
You gonna have more kids?

And just to clarify - I paid 99% of all goods/services for all of my children.

About 14 years ago one of my children had
A life threatening medical emergency which required VERY expensive care. This would have bankrupted our family. We received a 1 time conditional medicaid payment which covered about 60% of the cost. This was before I had savings and before I was even a pharmacist.

In any case - not all of us having kids are doing it for the dole. But don’t get me wrong I do have an agenda. I have kids to increase the party size of my D&D campaigns. I spent 2 years hand drawing a 6x6 world map and 200 page history/lore of my fantasy world. If my kids don’t play I punish them with extra chores.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
We received a 1 time conditional medicaid payment which covered about 60% of the cost.
Interesting. Doesn't your side usually oppose these kinds of govt programs?

Interesting. Doesn't your side usually oppose these kinds of govt programs?
It’s also an interesting way of framing the issue. I guess tax deductions and PAYE benefits don’t count as paying for expenses.

Not that I object to people being paid to have kids. We need them as a species and I certainly don’t want them.

It’s also an interesting way of framing the issue. I guess tax deductions and PAYE benefits don’t count as paying for expenses.

Not that I object to people being paid to have kids. We need them as a species and I certainly don’t want them.

Ya know - my life is not restrained by the confines of what someone considers a specific political party/agenda. I love liberals, and I love conservatives.

I allow democracy work its magic through the power of a vote. I follow the law and always fulfill my legal obligations per my contractual agreements. These laws/legal obligations are often the result of legislation enacted via representation through the voting/democratic process. I am not a sore looser when my vote is not on the winning side.

Sometimes I benefit, sometimes I don’t. And that’s okay. But I’m not going to respond to an obvious bait question like the post above yours.

I would frame it like this - “I consider the way I pay my IBR as fulfilling the contractual obligations of my loan”.

what is the going rate for staff and pic in illinois?

I left not too long ago but it was upper 60s/hour for pharmacists. I was a PIC and made just over $70/hr and had only been working as a Rph for like three years. There was a market cap for salaries for a couple years but seems like most people got a 1-2% increase this past year. I think the Chicagoland area for CVS has some of the highest salaries for the company and I think that's in part to some stores still being unionized from years ago and they have to give those higher rates to all pharmacists in the area. One of the reasons all these big companies don't want unions- often means higher pay for their employees.

I truly wonder how my parents ever made it raising me and my siblings, considering they made far less.
They didnt have to pay $1000 phones and $50k cars lol nor did they have to pay 1/3 of their paycheck to rent or mortgage. We have so much more residual crap we pay for compared to our parents generation.

My wife and i make about $150k after taxes together from our regular jobs and only spend about $80k per year. Rest we are investing and running side businesses. We make about $100k on our investments so our total annual income is about $250k. Be frugal no matter how much you make. Drive a honda accord instead of a bemer i.e.

They didnt have to pay $1000 phones and $50k cars lol nor did they have to pay 1/3 of their paycheck to rent or mortgage. We have so much more residual crap we pay for compared to our parents generation.

My wife and i make about $150k after taxes together and only spend about $80k per year. Rest we are investing and running side businesses. We make about $100k on our investments. Be frugal no matter how much you make. Drive a honda accord instead of a bemer i.e.

I think we miss the fact that employers were far more generous and appreciative of their employees. They were much more fair and willing to compensate. Now everyone wants more for themselves and the employee is looked at as a frustrating expense to minimize.

My wife and i make about $150k after taxes together from our regular jobs and only spend about $80k per year. Rest we are investing and running side businesses. We make about $100k on our investments so our total annual income is about $250k. Be frugal no matter how much you make. Drive a honda accord instead of a bemer i.e.
If you don’t mind me asking, how are you making 100k on investments annually with $150k annual salary? TIA

If you don’t mind me asking, how are you making 100k on investments annually with $150k annual salary? TIA
well -last year if you had 500k in investments - you would have made 100k - this year, not so much, Not sure when this person graduated, but last year my investments made close to 200k -(mostly in my retirement accounts, so never realized)

Aren't you the guy that goes into crisis every Christmas?

Let us mourn the death of society LMAO
Christmas has been hilarious lately. These idiots are getting into planes to see other people who also got into planes...during the worst pulmonary pandemic in a hundred years. And then getting their entire extended family sick in the process. With literally hundreds of thousands of fatalities. For what? Some fake sky man that demands your praise?

Knowing that celebrating Christmas now has a heightened chance of death associated with it has really put wind into my sails, honestly.

• Haha
Christmas has been hilarious lately. These idiots are getting into planes to see other people who also got into planes...during the worst pulmonary pandemic in a hundred years. And then getting their entire extended family sick in the process. With literally hundreds of thousands of fatalities. For what? Some fake sky man that demands your praise?

Knowing that celebrating Christmas now has a heightened chance of death associated with it has really put wind into my sails, honestly.
I love you