cvs pharmacists feeling miserable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally the 3 letter chain is a pretty sweet gig under the right circumstances. If you can fix stores and get things clicking you can make a lot of money just as some of the ones that get it on this board probably do as well. You can make upwards of mid 70's and close to 80/hr Add that into OT you can make a lot of money. To each it's own but to be a 2015 grad and making mid 70's i'll take it.

As far as metrics go once you understand them you can teach your staff. 99% of the problem at most stores is that no tech knows what the hell wecare is besides the pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally the 3 letter chain is a pretty sweet gig under the right circumstances. If you can fix stores and get things clicking you can make a lot of money just as some of the ones that get it on this board probably do as well. You can make upwards of mid 70's and close to 80/hr Add that into OT you can make a lot of money. To each it's own but to be a 2015 grad and making mid 70's i'll take it.

As far as metrics go once you understand them you can teach your staff. 99% of the problem at most stores is that no tech knows what the hell wecare is besides the pharmacists.

lmao...where are you located that they're paying a 2015 grad mid 70s? It depends on the area. You cannot cheat your way out of under staffing regardless of the metrics.

lmao...where are you located that they're paying a 2015 grad mid 70s? It depends on the area. You cannot cheat your way out of under staffing regardless of the metrics.
California. I'm in the same boat with hours. Just have to make do with what you get and schedule smart. My store is close to 3k a week volume so I have to be proficient with the schedule or i'm stuck with 2 techs during 5pm rush our. I toy with the schedule to be able to have 3-4 techs during that time. Use broken shifts and other strategies to cover basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
California. I'm in the same boat with hours. Just have to make do with what you get and schedule smart. My store is close to 3k a week volume so I have to be proficient with the schedule or i'm stuck with 2 techs during 5pm rush our. I toy with the schedule to be able to have 3-4 techs during that time. Use broken shifts and other strategies to cover basis.

I hear you. It's good you're in CA...most of us don't have the benefit of such good labor laws.

I went into pharmacy school with the mindset that I was 100% going to be a hospital pharmacist (well, 50/50 between hospital and nuclear before the latter's job market had a meltdown), but man that saturation kicked in so fast. By the time I graduated we were solidly in the era of expecting a PGY1 to get your foot in the door. I'm very lucky that I was able to land that first job and build up experience, because I would have been absolutely miserable working for CVS or Walgreens. I probably would have just gone back to school to do something else after a few years of that.

Just wondering, do you know if the nuclear pharm job market is still in meltdown mode?

I hear you. It's good you're in CA...most of us don't have the benefit of such good labor laws.
Yeah I feel really bad for you guys outside of it. Labor laws keep it sane here. I can see how outside of Cali it can be complete hell. If you live in the right parts of Cali that aren't too expensive you can make really good money at CVS. As far as Salary pay goes (Cali is hourly) not sure how often they do that for you guys that are able to fix stores and move to another one.

Just wondering, do you know if the nuclear pharm job market is still in meltdown mode?
Jobs were never very plentiful to begin with, but I can't speak to the current market. It's definitely the type of job where you have to go to where the job is.

Socal areas. You must be a manager to make even the low 70s. Most staff is only making mid to high 60s avg. To get 80, you need be a manager be in the worst place in CA so forget civillization, forget life. Your mating selection is single moms, addicts and milf. White trash medical and/hispanics predominant populations with an average public school rating for 2-5 out of 10. You can't pay me enough to raise a family in these areas.

Reactions: 2 users
Socal areas. You must be a manager to make even the low 70s. Most staff is only making mid to high 60s avg. To get 80, you need be a manager be in the worst place in CA so forget civillization, forget life. Your mating selection is single moms, addicts and milf. White trash medical and/hispanics predominant populations with an average public school rating for 2-5 out of 10. You can't pay me enough to raise a family in these areas.
You are very accurate with some of those areas lol Luckily i'm not in those areas. CA has some good spots thats not SF or LA.

You are very accurate with some of those areas lol Luckily i'm not in those areas. CA has some good spots thats not SF or LA.

Does CVS offer shift differential pay in California??

Dream wife, check

Dream house (i mean way larger house), check

Ok kids, check....I joke

High paying job for my area with low cost of living allowing me to retire soon, check

Being able to drive 10 miles in under 30 minutes, check

Hmm why exactly would I want to live in san fran or LA?

Dream wife, check

Ok kids, check....I joke

High paying job for my area with low cost of living allowing me to retire soon, check

5k biweekly paychecks in these areas gets you feeling some type of way lol

Dream wife, check

Ok kids, check....I joke

You don't even live in CA.

To get 80 in CA it's more like Needles, Alturas, Blythe, El Centro, or got a lot of raises (like 9-10 consecutive years of 2%).

Reactions: 1 users
You don't even live in CA.

To get 80 in CA it's more like Needles, Alturas, Blythe, El Centro, or got a lot of raises (like 9-10 consecutive years of 2%).
Those places are complete ****.

Fastest way to get raise is become a good PIC and fix stores one by one getting small raises for each ones especially going to high volume stores (3-4k weekly). Your bosses won't care to pay you 77-78/hr while your staff is 68/hr and all your techs are 10/hr. The better scores your high volume stores can get the more bonuses they get. Don't be a square no matter where you live. If you're better at your job then others and you have metrics and stats to back it up don't be shy to ask for raises or get a raise to go to another store.

Again, no one I know getting 78-80/hr unless you go to BFE places. Low 70s are common for manager anywhere after that you are capped the fu3k out. Your staff is making $3-5 lower than you in decent crappy areas 90-110F weather with mediocre school system and limited selection of jobs/ culture/ activities/ women/ ethnic/ high end restaurants.

In complete sh1t hole town then yes, you can make $10 more than a metro staff (so you are comparing apples and oranges). The staff in the sh1t hole town is also getting high pay 70-74 is common to compensate the sh1tty area. Otherwise, no one is taking these sh1tty areas. If you like the boonies then def apply to those places. It's not for me.

Those places are complete ****.

Fastest way to get raise is become a good PIC and fix stores one by one getting small raises for each ones especially going to high volume stores (3-4k weekly). Your bosses won't care to pay you 77-78/hr while your staff is 68/hr and all your techs are 10/hr. The better scores your high volume stores can get the more bonuses they get. Don't be a square no matter where you live. If you're better at your job then others and you have metrics and stats to back it up don't be shy to ask for raises or get a raise to go to another store.

You must have an awfully generous sup then. I quit in part because I didn't get a good one (raise or sup; I make more at WM with a decent bonus every year; no opportunities for OT aside from Sat working 9.5 hours)

does anyone here have experience working at smiths (kroger company) or know someone who does? I've recently been offered a job at smith's pharmacy and wanted to get information from anyone who has been with them. please message me if you have a moment to answer my questions. thank you.

does anyone here have experience working at smiths (kroger company) or know someone who does? I've recently been offered a job at smith's pharmacy and wanted to get information from anyone who has been with them. please message me if you have a moment to answer my questions. thank you.

I worked as a tech part time at Kroger before pharmacy school. It is a better place than CVS. You have the opportunity to work for the Kroger company and retail is what you want to do, then I say go for it!

I am a former CVS pharmacist and leaving that company was the best decision of my life! Larry Merlo should be ashamed what he has done to his fellow pharmacists. Awful staffing levels and terrible working conditions will eventually kill our profession! And where the hell is the American Pharmacist's Assn. and State Boards of Pharmacy when we really need them. Do they actually think chain pharmacists today have the time and staffing levels to counsel and practice MTM? Pipe dream!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I am a former CVS pharmacist and leaving that company was the best decision of my life! Larry Merlo should be ashamed what he has done to his fellow pharmacists. Awful staffing levels and terrible working conditions will eventually kill our profession! And where the hell is the American Pharmacist's Assn. and State Boards of Pharmacy when we really need them. Do they actually think chain pharmacists today have the time and staffing levels to counsel and practice MTM? Pipe dream!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MTM is a total joke

Reactions: 1 users