CVS Questions as a Technician. Advice Appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aimee19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior pharmacy technician who used to be working at Walgreens and now have moved in to CVS. They have a great and intention to train new employees by the help of mobile trainers who show up at stores. Although they are helpful, the phramacists and otjer techs usually are so busy and not so much eager to help me figure things out.
A patients came in and asked for filling a prescription which was stored on file. Tne prescription was for Synthroid ( substitution allowed ), the last time she was given tje generic. This time she wanted to switch to brand. At Walgreens it was a piece of cake and we chose code 02 to indicated that patient wanted the brand to be dispensed. Here at CVS I am not familiar to RXconnect and I only was able to see code 0 and 1 and now option to change to barand. Can you show or write tbe steps without having to go back to QP please?
Also sometimes I try to change NDC of a prescription in QP and wanted to change NDC but the system keep did not let me to switch to nonepreffred, and then pharmacist took over and did not explain, I was so sad. Please help me. I like my job at CVS and need to be independent. Here is the best place I can ask my questions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you show or write tbe steps without having to go back to QP please?
E to edit the prescription
A for additional information
T1 to select the third party
I think DAW is line 1, so select that, and it'll let you put in any DAW code you want (this is also how you would put DAW9 if the insurance requires brand)
Also sometimes I try to change NDC of a prescription in QP and wanted to change NDC but the system keep did not let me to switch to nonepreffred,
It does this if you're trying to switch to non-preferred when the system thinks there's enough of the preferred in stock. Assuming you're doing this from QP, scan the label (or select the appropriate line number), and hit E to edit. From here, you can do O for out of stock, then option 3 to change NDC. If for some reason this fails too, hit 1 to "change" the drug, hit enter without typing anything, and it should bring up all available NDCs. Select the one you want and enter through the prompts (don't go too fast though because you have to credential to confirm you want a non-preferred). Sometimes this method puts it back in QV1 so if you need it urgently, tell the pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Pharmacy Technician at CVS. Today a lady called and asked her prescription to be put back on her profile and she also said that she was not intrested in filling the prescription again because she would like to use mail order pharmacy. She mentined that we did not close or inactivate the prescription but just hold on to it. Anyway I made a RTS and then I noticed that the same script now immediately got schaduled for the next month which she wouldn't like. I went to her profile and typed "m" and then VE and then tried to view all RF elligible ones to deny that specific medication but it is not there. Our pharmacist and the senior tech also couldn't help and they said it is CVS issue. I have my doubts. I believe there must be a way to remove RF from that script. Please help me. Thank you so much.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Call help desk.

I know that it's possible now to override early refills with a specific code at CVS and any other pharmacy.
I haven't seen pharmacists actually using them. Can you guide me on what the code is and how to enter it?
Thank you.

Your software should have a “submission clarification code field” where you put things like “5” to override early fills when a dosage has increased since the previous Rx. You put a “13” there for most plans for COVID19 related early fills.

The process depends on the insurer.

Walgreens has a resource page to look at for most plans. I would assume CVS does too?

If so talk to your rxm for that information.

If they want to audit a brute force way to med-sync 10+ cheapo maintenance meds that are mostly reimbursed at cost or below cost, go ahead.

Ingenio and CVS Caremark limit Medicaid claims to 30 days if scc 13 used anyway

After I print the authorization request from QR and fax it manually, how can I get the request off of the QR? Once my PIC told me I should just add a note that it was done manually by sending a fax and then update the promised day to a day after previous promised time. She did not show me, but I did it. Is that the correct way?
I appreciate if you write steps and all I have to click on in the system. Thank you.

Imagine the phone rings at CVS and then you pick up and it's the nurse of the doctor, calling about one or more pending request s in QR,
I personally, look up by last name and first name in QR and then confirm DOB. The nurse then authorise the prescription for 1 time with no aditional refill.
Should I create a new script in QR environment.
My concern is that I can remeber something which sounds wierd to me. My PIC once went back to main page of system and typed G for generating and then she typed the exact old prescription number that she had written down on a paper from QR and the same old prescription opened !! It was mind blowing and I am not sure if I understood it. Bybthe way when I asked her to expalin she was too busy to answer. I greatly appreciate if you step by step show me the best ways of updating a newly authorized refill, please.

It doesn't really matter which way you do it as long as you input the prescription in properly. I'd just go with whatever you're most comfortable doing.

If it's a call back to give a refill on something that's already in QR, I'd just go to the request page and type 'P' to print out the request, fill in how many refills the office is approving on the paper, and write down who i spoke with along with the date and my initials. Then type 'G' on that request page to generate the script, fill out exactly what's written on the paper, and scan the hard copy. It's much simpler this way since it gets rid of the request and allows you to generate a new script without having to type out the same script again or memorize the rx #

Members don't see this ad :)
Today which was Sunday, my PIC asked the other pharmacy technician to print out doctor calls list and put them aside to start sending the fax manually tomorrow on Monday.
So I have two question regarding what she asked her to do.
First, tomorrow after sending faxes it may be too hard to go back to QR and search each request and add a note that we sent a fax manually? Isn't it too hard and not so efficient? Or maybe I am wrong. If I am wrong please tell me what steps they would take on Monday after sending the faxes to change the date of requests so that they would not show red or due?

Second question, when printing the list from QR, does it have to be done one by one? Or we can print all at the same time?
How should we arrange them as well? Promised date or something else?

I appreciate your help so much. Take care and have a blessed day.

Or just tell the pt you haven't heard back yet? Walmart has a messaging function for that. You should leverage that if it exists at CVS now

For example if you work at a ghetto store you will be tied up on the phone for hours with crappy clinics (albeit I do have sympathy because their crappiness correlates with how crappy American society is). They don't respond to anything except maybe a customer complaining. PAs will take weeks to months to be completed and they will call claiming you never contacted them (CoverMyMeds says otherwise)

Seems like a lot of work for 10 points. (Does CVS still use WeCARE LOL)

At the first CVS I worked at the techs would literally delete all follow-up calls at the end of the week

Last edited:
Just hit 'W' after you print out the paper. You know you'll be faxing the office so might as well get it out of the queue as you're doing it so you don't have to go through the effort of locating each request later.

There' no way to patch print the QR requests at CVS. You print them one at a time so save yourself the trouble and just say MDWCB.

Tommorow as my PIC requested I have to work on Prescriber Calls. She said that the person working with DM needs the number of calls be increased. I was told that I have to print one by one and then start faxing all at the same time. So I am confused. How this method works? What order the desired order for the QR list before I start? Can you go over it from scratch, please? God bless you.

I have been a floater for a month now. You know no stores have been doing prescriber calls! Waste of time in this pandemic!

Reactions: 1 users
QR is quite the beast to tackle...far from a flawless system as half of MD calls are redundant (90 day Rx request sent - MD denies, office assistants call stating already approved - system lag time with no way of the system recognizing requests were already filled with a verbal order, etc.)

If you have to focus on QR calls, use the Sort function and try to tackle meaningful interventions - stuff that's on back order, unavailable, insurance PAs/patient calling constantly wanting an update, alternative requests due to insurance changes, drug interactions, questionable scripts (ex) unconventional directions/dose/etc.). RPh notes set aside to tackle specifically (usually patient calls wanting a F/U on something).

Leave the automated stuff alone (no one is going to be able to tackle that or expect outcomes ASAP). We usually just delete it from the system periodically when time permits (seldom)...just pay attention to method sent (e-Rx, fax, verbal/phone)....95% of the time it's just requests that are outdated due to lag time in the sequence of events. Pay attention to dates in QR!!!

Note: if you can recognize ER/Urgent care MDs and scripts requiring a PA, you should save your time by informing the patient to have his/her primary care MD take care of the Rx and PA (ER/Urgent care MDs do not perform PAs...they are not expected to, don't have the resources, time, or means to follow up)

Last edited:
You need to work on your communication skills and start by asking your PIC or whoever is in charge of your training.

I like the comment about QR being a beast because that is exactly how I recall it. So many enhancements over the years but ultimately it is up to the prescriber to respond or not. Time spent on QR is time wasted IMO. It’s automated for a reason...

I understand why they sometimes include it on the scorecard though - when they don’t, people ignore it. But when it’s on the scorecard it’s just another meaningless metric to try and beat. Most of the things that don’t get a timely response never will - refills sent to urgent care, prescribers without good contact information, etc etc. There are probably at least a hundred more productive things you can do with your time.

Reactions: 2 users
My qr calls hits triple digit pages. There's no way.

First please don't tell me to ask my PIC about it. I am not generalizing but there are some people, at least at my pharmacy, who leave techs at the deep end of forest and begging for him or her to say "how to do this task" and then they deligate it to someone else based on favoritism.
By the way, one time in the past I did it at another store. I was not told how to load the page? Is it on SPARK? Where exactly on SPARK?
Should we dial tnrough the system or we arr given the credit anyhow?
Any advice to do it most efficiently?
Thank you so much. This website is a proof that not all pharmacist s and senior techs doing favoritism. God bless you.

After the new updates last month I been seeing a lot of prescriber errors in the QT every morning like 1 page each day just prescriber error. This happened after Rxconnect updated prescriber information. I am not sure what to do with these. I just click on update and pick the same prescriber with a phone number. Any ideas?

There is no efficient way to do it. You have to login to alt+f5 then under one of the drop down menu's it says live burst calls. You have to manually dial all of them. At my storre we'll let the phone connect ot voicemail for 30 seconds and if they're already on autofill we'll just fill whatever the **** it is. If they're no on autofill we'lll just put "not reached" or whatever.

After the new updates last month I been seeing a lot of prescriber errors in the QT every morning like 1 page each day just prescriber error. This happened after Rxconnect updated prescriber information. I am not sure what to do with these. I just click on update and pick the same prescriber with a phone number. Any ideas?

i delete them all.

Can you briefly say the key diffrences between pCQ calls and Live Burst Calls, please?
Secondly it's critical for me to know when doing PCQ should I sort them by any order? What orders are possible for PCQ calls? Date and some other thing?
Thirdly I have heard that when doing Live Burst Calls we can hang up just before beeping sound of voice mail and fill if anything is on auto refill. Can we do the same thing for PCQ?

How many threads are you gonna make about CVS? Why don't you ask your PIC?

I don’t want to be rude but can you limit your CVS questions to one thread? I am sure plenty of people will be willing and able to help you that way. :)

Can you say what the steps are to change the waiting bin number in CVS system, please?
It's very critical to change some of them so that they can track the 00 on 7 day list better these days.

So the first step is to print each request one bt one and then start sending faxes.
Should I update the promised date too? When should I do it? Immediately after sending fax? Or should I delete request?

Ok, judging on how many threads you have started on these forums, I think you might best review learn net modules to answer many if not all of these questions. Would not advocate blitzing through these like 90% of employees (click, click, click, acknowledge) but rather take a little time and read through them, think about when the info is relevant in work-flow, then implement...yeah, there's a ton of training and updates are always a thing. New hire training is constantly getting tougher because of constant updates and how overwhelming the system can be (decision fatigue, multiple ways to solve a dilemma, etc.)

These types of questions are better suited with your team members. Part of being a tech is to take notes and apply the task at the job.

Just throwing this out there since your posting CVS topics with little to no responses:

1) Talk to your PIC, talk to senior techs, really talk to anyone that's been in your shoes at work. I am certain they'll be more than helpful.

2) If you are going to post oddly specific questions about your job responsibilities, please generate "one" thread with your questions. We have plenty of folks on here that know the system and I'm sure would be more than willing to answer in a better organized matter on the site.

Carry on.

These types of questions are better suited with your team members. Part of being a tech is to take notes and apply the task at the job.

Just throwing this out there since your posting CVS topics with little to no responses. Carry on.

I think OP is a pharmacist regardless of what their status says. I could be wrong though.

I think OP is a pharmacist regardless of what their status says. I could be wrong though.

I thought so as well, but then I saw this comment from January:

I am a pharmacy technician. My pharmacist once told me he can see the deductables but he never found a moment to teach me how I can see that in RXnet. Please help me. It's beginning of the year and many of our patients ask this question. Thank you.

I thought so as well, but then I saw this comment from January:

In that case we should consider moving these threads to the prepharmacy section. And maybe merging them since they are really all the same topic (help with CVS system).

@Aimee19 : All your specific questions regarding your role as a tech have been merged into one entity-thread.

To best target your specific questions as a technician at CVS, please make a comment on this specific thread as new questions arrive. I hope you find what you need and good luck!