CVS RPhs....I want to hear the good/bad/ugly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr of rx

Voicemail Suks
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
like the title says....let me hear your feelings about CVS.

How does the software compare to others? What about policy and procedures? How is the management?

Lets hear it all.

Members don't see this ad.

How does the software compare to others? What about policy and procedures? How is the management?

Lets hear it all.

I like CVS due the following reasons:
1. raises are due to performance
2. great 401 k plan
3. As a PIC, I can make or change my schedule, i can work 8 hour shifts, 10 hr shifts or 12 hour shifts.I am in a 24 hr store, so it makes it easy to do the schedule.
4. If you dont use your vacation, you can get it paid out at the end of the year.
5. The software is being updated every few months. It is really easy to learn! Probably not as good as walgreens, but is user friendly. A few days on the system and it's pretty easy to learn.
6. As far as policy and procedures, you learn them as you go. Probably the same as any other chain:confused:

Field management is ok. They leave us alone except for the occasional email about payroll or a complaint, whatever. I have been with the company for 3 years, and have no real complaints.

Dr.M

Lets hear it all.

I'm not a CVS pharmacist yet, but I have almost 7 years of experience as a tech and intern, so I'll comment on a few observations I've seen.

Software has it's good and bad points - no real-time access to the wholesaler or ordering. If we really need to know if we can get something from the wholesaler, we still have to call and wait through their customer service hold.

As the other poster noted, the pharmacists in the individual stores have a lot of autonomy regarding scheduling. In my district, the pharmacists are required to submit vacation requests in writing and have them approved by the DM. Don't know if all DM's require that or not.

Some of the things I don't think I'd like as the pharmacist - lots (and it seems to be increasing lately) of emphasis on meeting numbers, including the scan rate of the EXtracare cards. Besides that, the latest thing my store got dinged on was time to answer the phone (yes, it is tracked). I found out yesterday when I floated to another store that part of our problem with that may be that we didn't know the drive-thru call also counted (our drive-thru button runs through the phone system - it's not a separate buzzer). As a technician, a lot of this is merely annoying. As the pharmacist, this is going to affect your raise and bonus, depending on how your store is doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a CVS pharmacist yet, but I have almost 7 years of experience as a tech and intern, so I'll comment on a few observations I've seen.

Software has it's good and bad points - no real-time access to the wholesaler or ordering. If we really need to know if we can get something from the wholesaler, we still have to call and wait through their customer service hold.

As the other poster noted, the pharmacists in the individual stores have a lot of autonomy regarding scheduling. In my district, the pharmacists are required to submit vacation requests in writing and have them approved by the DM. Don't know if all DM's require that or not.

Some of the things I don't think I'd like as the pharmacist - lots (and it seems to be increasing lately) of emphasis on meeting numbers, including the scan rate of the EXtracare cards. Besides that, the latest thing my store got dinged on was time to answer the phone (yes, it is tracked). I found out yesterday when I floated to another store that part of our problem with that may be that we didn't know the drive-thru call also counted (our drive-thru button runs through the phone system - it's not a separate buzzer). As a technician, a lot of this is merely annoying. As the pharmacist, this is going to affect your raise and bonus, depending on how your store is doing.

wow, your post just reminded me why, when i go to work today in my hospital, i will be cheerful and happy! to be graded on the time to answer the phone or the degrading drive-through with the intent to impact my performance, raises, bonus, etc....wow, i hate to use the same word twice, but how degrading!
i went to college for 6 years and am going back for a master's; no way is any corporate entity going to judge my competence based on how many ExtraCare cards are scanned!
to the OP, forget retail, work in a hospital!

wow, your post just reminded me why, when i go to work today in my hospital, i will be cheerful and happy! to be graded on the time to answer the phone or the degrading drive-through with the intent to impact my performance, raises, bonus, etc....wow, i hate to use the same word twice, but how degrading!
i went to college for 6 years and am going back for a master's; no way is any corporate entity going to judge my competence based on how many ExtraCare cards are scanned!
to the OP, forget retail, work in a hospital!

Yeah, corporate CVS needs a kick in the face about that. I know its a business and all, and that's what they're looking at when they're hassling employees about scanning cards and answering phones and all that. But they seem to put their little scorecards and rankings and what not above doing what's best for the patient. I don't know how many times I've had to sit there and re-enter the time on a script so the pharmacist could "up their numbers" while I could have been getting other more important work done. A couple times, the pharmacist had the gall to ask me to fix the time while the patient waited. I couldn't believe it. I think I was too numb to find any words of protest. I mean, when you take it that far, it's kind of defeating the purpose. If I do have the misfortune of working at a CVS upon graduating and some corporate a**hole starts hassling me about my "numbers" I can't wait to tell him where he can shove it. Sure, maybe I'll get fired, but hey, sometimes that kind of stuff just happens.

Yeah, corporate CVS needs a kick in the face about that. I know its a business and all, and that's what they're looking at when they're hassling employees about scanning cards and answering phones and all that. But they seem to put their little scorecards and rankings and what not above doing what's best for the patient. I don't know how many times I've had to sit there and re-enter the time on a script so the pharmacist could "up their numbers" while I could have been getting other more important work done. A couple times, the pharmacist had the gall to ask me to fix the time while the patient waited. I couldn't believe it. I think I was too numb to find any words of protest. I mean, when you take it that far, it's kind of defeating the purpose. If I do have the misfortune of working at a CVS upon graduating and some corporate a**hole starts hassling me about my "numbers" I can't wait to tell him where he can shove it. Sure, maybe I'll get fired, but hey, sometimes that kind of stuff just happens.

Yeah - unfortunately I've had the same experience - I don't think that corporate understands the extent to which the individual DM's are directing their stores to "fix" the numbers. Really a lot of the numbers are meaningless because they can be manipulated, and the ones that come from direct customer calls are also meaningless in my opinion because they are statistically so insignificant.

Yeah - unfortunately I've had the same experience - I don't think that corporate understands the extent to which the individual DM's are directing their stores to "fix" the numbers. Really a lot of the numbers are meaningless because they can be manipulated, and the ones that come from direct customer calls are also meaningless in my opinion because they are statistically so insignificant.

why even have the number if they are so easily manipulated?
what's the point?

what's the point?

Well, I would imagine it being the idea of some corporate dousche bag who wants to move up the ladder; but I don't know anything about business, so I could be far off on that.

A couple times, the pharmacist had the gall to ask me to fix the time while the patient waited. I couldn't believe it. I think I was too numb to find any words of protest.

Yeah, this used to happen to me all of the time! Thank God I work for Walgreens now!

what's the point?

That is an excellent question that I have asked myself many times. However, I have no business background (all science) and therefore don't know why they would want to do this from a business standpoint. Certainly if you know much about pharmacy you can stand in two different (or 10 different or 100 different) CVS pharmacies and have a pretty good idea of whether the pharmacy is well run, are they getting a lot of patient complaints, etc.

I would welcome comments from anyone who has business experience - why does corporate want to rate/rank the stores??

They probably conduct focus groups with customers/patients and have identified the areas that need improvement, such as on hold time. Anytime you want to improve performance, you need an objective method to evaluate it. How else can you hold people accountable?

Cons:
-14 hour shift (including 1 hour where the store is dead as a cemetary, what's the freaking point since 1 rx sometimes doesn't even pay the pharmacist salary)

- no overtime (my area at least) but they call to hassel you ALL the time to pick up extra shifts (it goes so far that they want the schedule of who is off each day sometimes)

-numbers (extracare card scan, wait time, number of waiters, turning "red", customer scores---the angry ones always call, # of phone call rings) :eek:

-some stores are stingy with staff

-latest health insurance plans all have a deductible, unfortunate for the kind of person that doesn't go to the doctor much.

Pros:
-manager makes the schedule independently
-good 401K (vested 1 year)
-supervisors relatively hands off (from what I can tell)
-computer system is pretty good and not too complicated to learn
-pays interns great, so easy to recruit a slave, i mean student :D

That's all I can think of as I have been working there as an intern about 2 years, my mind is numb from the long day today.

Based on what I have read, it seems to me that Walgreens is a better pharmacy to work at. It has all the pros minus all the cons in my opinion. I have had a great experience so far with Walgreens. When I graduate, I will be with the company 10 years. Benefits will be insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I have read, it seems to me that Walgreens is a better pharmacy to work at. It has all the pros minus all the cons in my opinion. I have had a great experience so far with Walgreens. When I graduate, I will be with the company 10 years. Benefits will be insane.

this is not a flame in any way, but I wouldn't base anything off what you've read.

I think it's safe to say that what you read from some corporate publication vs. how the individual stores are usually quite different.

However, if you find a store to work in where this is true, then run with it and never look back

I am currently a tech at CVS and have worked there for over a year now. I will be starting pharmacy school in the fall. Today I got put on register probation for not scanning the coupons for the gift cards correctly. That is one of the cons I see about CVS. Too many coupons and half the time they do not seem to scan correctly. I did a paid out and wrote a note on the receit and today the store manager told me not to do that, only a manager can. However, the shift manager at the store at the time would not have known what to do and was running the front store by herself. The store manager told me that I should have called the shift manager and had her come to the pharmacy while I go to the front and run register. I'm sure the 3 other people wouldn't have minded the switch.

At our store, our manager has also not given the proper wages to the newly hired technicians that the PIC promised. As for me, I still haven't gotten my year raise that I was told I was getting 2 months ago. I decided not to fight it and will await for my intern raise in a month or two.

All said and done, I have had enough of free gift cards, loss prevention, and store managers who try to control the techs.

However, I know the pharmacists love the benefits and the flexibility with the schedules. Personally, I like the system, but feel it could be tweaked a little. I really do like working there, but it is just easier to complain I guess.

OUTexan, congrats on going to pharmacy school! I started working at CVS not too long ago too. However they are confusing/misleading in what is considered intern. Until my pharmacist called the district manager, they were apparently placing me as a "tech" and not an intern. So you have to watch out for that!

What really is an "intern" though? I messaged some members on this board and chatted about it. For example, is "intern" the summer you that you are going into the professional year or is it after it?

My pharmacist was teling me how the company likes to pay him less (cut his hours) and he wouldn't notice it because he has direct deposit and receive the stubs every two weeks. I felt that was just extremely sneaky and why would you even do that to any of your employees when they work so hard!

As for the store managers, mine are pretty nice and friendly. Overall everyone in my district seems nice but they are really strict about doing things correctly. Then again they might be seemingly nice only to lure the pharmacy students into their trap and it'll be too late to escape! ;)

I don't know how many times I've had to sit there and re-enter the time on a script so the pharmacist could "up their numbers" while I could have been getting other more important work done. A couple times, the pharmacist had the gall to ask me to fix the time while the patient waited. I couldn't believe it.

What does that mean? They time the pharmacists when they QA prescriptions?

Some of the things on this thread seem hillarious. Pharmacy's not an assembly line.

And time to answer the phone?! :confused:

That's right, they time the RX's and monitor the number of rings before telephone calls are answered.
This is how I see it, CVS wants to be the fasted pharmacy so that they'll have a chance at competing with Walgreens.

As a CVS pharmacist with six years of experience I can set the record straight.

1) Time to Answer the Phone: Yes it is measured. It has a negligible effect on the pharmacist's bonus. At the present time, the main factor in your bonus is scripts vs budget. Why is it important to answer the phone or recognize the the person at the drive through, because they are the ones who pay your salary. They would like the phone answered in 20 seconds. Will you be penalized if your time is 23 or 25 seconds, no you won't But I have seen stores where the average time to answer a phone call is 60-75 seconds. How would like to call a business and wait over a minute for them to answer the phone. Time it once and see how long you would patronize a business that took that long to answer the phone. That is bad customer service, it's bad for the company and it's bad for the pharmacists bottom line as customers will go elsewhere and there goes your raise and bonus.

2) Don't believe anecdotal stories: The pharmacist is responsible for reporting his hours and the front store manager puts them in the computer. The Pharmacy Supervisor or the District Manager has no way to alter your hours and cheat you out of pay. If you have direct deposit and your stub is mailed to you it arrives on pay day or the day after pay day.

3) Manipulating Wait Time Numbers: Is this done, sure. If you are doing it on a consistent basis, the wait time on your report will be at variance with what the customers report on the SSS scorecard. CVS has designed a brilliant system that prioritizes the work flow based on when the patient expects to pick up the prescriptions. If Mrs. Smith comes in at 9AM after seeing her doctor and presents 10 prescriptions to pick up the next day at 10AM, they will be coded with date and time of pickup. A prescription phoned in at 2PM the same day will be promised for 4PM and will be completed before Mrs. Smith's order even though it was presented to the pharmacy 5 hours after Mrs. Smith's order. If you drive the QUE from top to bottom, you should have no trouble keeping up with the work flow.

4) Why does corporate rate the stores: How else will corporate oversee what happens in the stores? Do the ratings matter, YES!. The stores with lower SSS scores have slower or negative growth. Customers who rate the store higher in SSS are more loyal, spend more money and are less likely to try a competitor. So it is not meaningless. Do I have issues with the SSS, yes I do. The rate at which the slips print out should be greater to get a greater sample.

5. Numbers over Patient Safety: This is such a farce I don't even know how to respond. I have been a pharmacist for 25 years. I have been with CVS for six years. The ratio of techs to pharmacists is higher hear than at any other store I have worked at. They do not ever tell you to speed up unless you have lead in your pants. The stores are staffed adequately if all of the staff is properly trained. I have worked at stores that do 1000 per week and stores that do 4000 per week. The schedule is made in the store. The Pharmacy supervisor or DM does not have anything to do with the tech schedule. If your store is short handed, the staff is either not trained well enough to do the job or your PIC does not schedule enough people or have people in at the correct time. As long as the PIC is not a PIG you can go over hours with no punishment.

6. Competing with Walgreens: This battle is not over and will continue for the next 5-10 years. Right now, CVS is crushing Walgreens. Over the last five years, CVS stock is up about 150%. Walgreens is up about 20%. That is the case even though Walgreens has far superior technology. I was able to cash my stock options this year and they will pay for one year of college for my oldest child.

PROS of working for CVS: The pay is out of this world. I started out as a pharmacist in 1982 at $12.50 per hour. The benefits are very good. The schedule is flexible. I know stores that work 14 hour shifts and stores that split the shift 7 and 7. You have so many pharmacist hours to use and you use them as you see fit. The staffing is fair. Would I like more tech hours, yes. Your experience will only be as good as your superiors. If your DM and Pharmacy Supervisor are good your experience will be good. If they are bad, your experience will be bad.

CONS of Working for CVS: It's retail. You have to train your own tech help. Corporate is constantly rolling out new initiatives to enhance performance and this makes it seem like you are always on a roller coaster.

To those who freely admit they know nothing about business: I was taught a long time ago, Profit is your most important product. If you do not make a profit, you cannot provide professional services. The way you make a profit is to fill prescriptions and sell over the counter items. The way you get people to come back to your store is to fill their prescriptions:
  • Accurately
  • Quickly
  • When promised
Stop whining about the gift cards. The purpose of the gift card is to get the people into your store. Then it is YOUR job to fill the prescription and provide the level of service to the patient so they will want to come back to you. The pharmacist has to OK each gift card at the register. I make it a point to introduce myself and speak to the patient when they are new to the store. It's the way you survive. When people stop coming to your store it's a problem. Corporates job is to get the bodies in and it's your job to keep them there with your service and professionalism. A gift card is not an inconvenience. It's a chance for you to get a new patient. Another opportunity to use your professional skills and improve their lives.

1) Time to Answer the Phone: Yes it is measured. It has a negligible effect on the pharmacist's bonus. At the present time, the main factor in your bonus is scripts vs budget. Why is it important to answer the phone or recognize the the person at the drive through, because they are the ones who pay your salary. They would like the phone answered in 20 seconds. Will you be penalized if your time is 23 or 25 seconds, no you won't But I have seen stores where the average time to answer a phone call is 60-75 seconds. How would like to call a business and wait over a minute for them to answer the phone. Time it once and see how long you would patronize a business that took that long to answer the phone. That is bad customer service, it's bad for the company and it's bad for the pharmacists bottom line as customers will go elsewhere and there goes your raise and bonus.

2) Don't believe anecdotal stories: The pharmacist is responsible for reporting his hours and the front store manager puts them in the computer. The Pharmacy Supervisor or the District Manager has no way to alter your hours and cheat you out of pay. If you have direct deposit and your stub is mailed to you it arrives on pay day or the day after pay day.

3) Manipulating Wait Time Numbers: Is this done, sure. If you are doing it on a consistent basis, the wait time on your report will be at variance with what the customers report on the SSS scorecard. CVS has designed a brilliant system that prioritizes the work flow based on when the patient expects to pick up the prescriptions. If Mrs. Smith comes in at 9AM after seeing her doctor and presents 10 prescriptions to pick up the next day at 10AM, they will be coded with date and time of pickup. A prescription phoned in at 2PM the same day will be promised for 4PM and will be completed before Mrs. Smith's order even though it was presented to the pharmacy 5 hours after Mrs. Smith's order. If you drive the QUE from top to bottom, you should have no trouble keeping up with the work flow.

4) Why does corporate rate the stores: How else will corporate oversee what happens in the stores? Do the ratings matter, YES!. The stores with lower SSS scores have slower or negative growth. Customers who rate the store higher in SSS are more loyal, spend more money and are less likely to try a competitor. So it is not meaningless. Do I have issues with the SSS, yes I do. The rate at which the slips print out should be greater to get a greater sample.

5. Numbers over Patient Safety: This is such a farce I don't even know how to respond. I have been a pharmacist for 25 years. I have been with CVS for six years. The ratio of techs to pharmacists is higher hear than at any other store I have worked at. They do not ever tell you to speed up unless you have lead in your pants. The stores are staffed adequately if all of the staff is properly trained. I have worked at stores that do 1000 per week and stores that do 4000 per week. The schedule is made in the store. The Pharmacy supervisor or DM does not have anything to do with the tech schedule. If your store is short handed, the staff is either not trained well enough to do the job or your PIC does not schedule enough people or have people in at the correct time. As long as the PIC is not a PIG you can go over hours with no punishment.

6. Competing with Walgreens: This battle is not over and will continue for the next 5-10 years. Right now, CVS is crushing Walgreens. Over the last five years, CVS stock is up about 150%. Walgreens is up about 20%. That is the case even though Walgreens has far superior technology. I was able to cash my stock options this year and they will pay for one year of college for my oldest child.

PROS of working for CVS: The pay is out of this world. I started out as a pharmacist in 1982 at $12.50 per hour. The benefits are very good. The schedule is flexible. I know stores that work 14 hour shifts and stores that split the shift 7 and 7. You have so many pharmacist hours to use and you use them as you see fit. The staffing is fair. Would I like more tech hours, yes. Your experience will only be as good as your superiors. If your DM and Pharmacy Supervisor are good your experience will be good. If they are bad, your experience will be bad.

CONS of Working for CVS: It's retail. You have to train your own tech help. Corporate is constantly rolling out new initiatives to enhance performance and this makes it seem like you are always on a roller coaster.

To those who freely admit they know nothing about business: I was taught a long time ago, Profit is your most important product. If you do not make a profit, you cannot provide professional services. The way you make a profit is to fill prescriptions and sell over the counter items. The way you get people to come back to your store is to fill their prescriptions:
  • Accurately
  • Quickly
  • When promised
Stop whining about the gift cards. The purpose of the gift card is to get the people into your store. Then it is YOUR job to fill the prescription and provide the level of service to the patient so they will want to come back to you. The pharmacist has to OK each gift card at the register. I make it a point to introduce myself and speak to the patient when they are new to the store. It's the way you survive. When people stop coming to your store it's a problem. Corporates job is to get the bodies in and it's your job to keep them there with your service and professionalism. A gift card is not an inconvenience. It's a chance for you to get a new patient. Another opportunity to use your professional skills and improve their lives.

Very well put! You should be a sup or a DM! This is right on the money!

I'm bored, so here's my two cents.

I'd patronize them in a heartbeat...and you make a valid point.

I'm an intern, so this might not completely apply, but unless I personally watch the frontend manager punch my times (clock in too early, out too late, or not on schedule problem times at least), I don't trust superiors for a second. I've had too many checks shorted, and I've seen it done to too many other people. Problem still lies with corporate....just a different part. If there is enough pressure on whoever is in charge of payroll to short hours, something needs to change. This may be a local problem, I haven't seen enough stores. However, the problem does exist, and hours do disappear if you don't pay close attention.

Just out of curiosity, is it que or queue? I do like the system with CVS. However, it slows everything down whenever any script has to be edited to change the time. In a well-run fully staffed pharmacy this won't be/isn't a problem. However, if you're shortstaffed and you have a pharmacist wanting items edited, it becomes obnoxious. If the person has already waited 20 minutes, and you told them 10, they should NOT have to hear a pharmacist direct someone to edit their script unless there is a good reason.

Statistics taught me that these ratings are BS. You're right, the slips should print out 100% of the time. How often do any of you actually call in to give feedback on best buy or burger king or whoever...especially if you're not angry about something to begin with. Corporate keeps track of a great deal in the stores, and they should. However, I think little stock should be put into these reports. Maybe we should do what Wal-mart does with the whole "was your cashier friendly" or "was the store clean" questions being displayed before a credit-card is run...except change the questions to "was your script ready on time" or any of the other questions that are needed.

Our PIC doesn't actually make the schedule. Either the lead tech or the "pharmacy manager" make it. They're obsessed with the bonus at our store. Going over hours is a big deal, and if you get overtime it's a huge deal. However, I will say that our people do a great job with the schedule, and it seems like we always have just enough techs. Even with this in mind, my same store had a large number of problems in the past year with untrained/stubborn/slack/whatever technicians, and I've encountered some scheduling nightmares. I imagine the schedule problems run similar from chain to chain. In all chains there are stores that are nightmares there are other stores that have little to no problems.

I want to do a rotation at Walgreens so I can see exactly how great their system is. I hear from numerous sources that the technology is great. I like the competition.

I don't want to get started on pay. It sounds like they get the pharmacist salaries straight. I can't wait to get to that point. I've had terrible experiences with raises as being a tech and as an intern. If I didn't love my job, the store's volume, the staff, and the store's location, I would have left the company a year ago.

To those who freely admit they know nothing about business: I was taught a long time ago, Profit is your most important product. If you do not make a profit, you cannot provide professional services.

This idea is great as long as your striving for profit does not interfere with accuracy and patient care.

The way you make a profit is to fill prescriptions and sell over the counter items. The way you get people to come back to your store is to fill their prescriptions:
  • Accurately
  • Quickly
  • When promised

haha...this really does sound like something that would be on some random poster around the pharmacy. I completely agree, just strive for accuracy over quickness. I've seen what happens with a pharmacist who is more concerned about getting scripts out quickly than with getting them out accurately. The problems aren't worth it. It doesn't matter what position in the pharmacy. At data going quick causes errors that have to be edited later. At production going too quick causes misfills...be it wrong drug in bottle or wrong bottle in basket/bag that cause problems that have to be fixed alter. At the register going too quickly causes cash shortages. Getting things right the first time can save as much time if not more than rushing.

Umm........I rarely encounter these gift cards, and I work at a store that does 4000+ a week. I wonder why we don't see more of them?

I'm an intern, so this might not completely apply, but unless I personally watch the frontend manager punch my times (clock in too early, out too late, or not on schedule problem times at least), I don't trust superiors for a second. I've had too many checks shorted, and I've seen it done to too many other people. Problem still lies with corporate....just a different part. If there is enough pressure on whoever is in charge of payroll to short hours, something needs to change. This may be a local problem, I haven't seen enough stores. However, the problem does exist, and hours do disappear if you don't pay close attention.

This is solely an issue with your front store. You can also ask to see the payroll contingency report on Monday to see that your hours for the previous week were reported correctly. H/R/Payroll is a problem. But I have never seen a problem where the store reports the hours correctly and H/R changes the hours. You should give your punch slips to the front store manager every week to be sure your hours are correct.

Just out of curiosity, is it que or queue? I do like the system with CVS. However, it slows everything down whenever any script has to be edited to change the time. In a well-run fully staffed pharmacy this won't be/isn't a problem. However, if you're shortstaffed and you have a pharmacist wanting items edited, it becomes obnoxious. If the person has already waited 20 minutes, and you told them 10, they should NOT have to hear a pharmacist direct someone to edit their script unless there is a good reason.

You are right, it is actually Queue. I have changed times on prescriptions many times, but never when the patient is waiting. That is just STUPID! I especially miss prescriptions where narcotics are concerned. When you have a C-II, you check the prescription against the hard copy and there are times I do not put my initials in the computer so it goes red even if I checked it on time.... When pharmacists edit a prescription and keep the patient waiting extra time, they should be shot.

Statistics taught me that these ratings are BS. You're right, the slips should print out 100% of the time. How often do any of you actually call in to give feedback on best buy or burger king or whoever...especially if you're not angry about something to begin with. Corporate keeps track of a great deal in the stores, and they should. However, I think little stock should be put into these reports. Maybe we should do what Wal-mart does with the whole "was your cashier friendly" or "was the store clean" questions being displayed before a credit-card is run...except change the questions to "was your script ready on time" or any of the other questions that are needed.

I used to agree with you, but the numbers tell a different store. Sales and SSS track each other. The higher the SSS score the greater your sales increase and the less you loose when acompetitor moves in nearby.

Our PIC doesn't actually make the schedule. Either the lead tech or the "pharmacy manager" make it. They're obsessed with the bonus at our store. Going over hours is a big deal, and if you get overtime it's a huge deal. However, I will say that our people do a great job with the schedule, and it seems like we always have just enough techs. Even with this in mind, my same store had a large number of problems in the past year with untrained/stubborn/slack/whatever technicians, and I've encountered some scheduling nightmares. I imagine the schedule problems run similar from chain to chain. In all chains there are stores that are nightmares there are other stores that have little to no problems.

The official CVS title for the Pharmacy Manager is P.I.C. (Pharmacist In Charge). Their bonus has NOTHING to do with hours. 0% contribution to the Pharmacists Bonus. Going over hours depends on why and on how much. If are just a little over you will never get in trouble.

Great post, Old Timer. It brings CVS back into consideration for me. :D

And you're right. It's all about who is in the local heirarchy (including co-workers) who could make the job either very pleasant or very distasteful, and has absolutely nothing to do with the corporation, but individual personalities like anywhere else. In the end, it comes down to pharmacy and store morale.

... to the Pharmacists Bonus. Going over hours depends on why and on how much. If are just a little over you will never get in trouble.[/COLOR]

OK - so whose bonus does the tech hours budget count against? I'm a 6 year CVS veteran tech (now actually intern), and over time I've seen the district management cut tech hours virtually every summer when the script volume drops. Then, in the fall the pharmacists have to beg before they can get more hours when volume picks back up.

I'm hoping you can reassure me that this is a district issue and not a company wide problem!!

Each store has a base number of prescriptions and a base number of tech hours. You are supposed to FLEX up or down one tech hour for each 11 prescriptions. You can print out Green Sheets (which are no longer green) which show this information on a week to week basis and keeps a running total of month to date, quarter to date and year to date. It compares your actual to your budget and to last year.

Each year in the fall corporate sends the Pharmacy Supervisor preliminary budgets for the coming year for each store. The Pharmacy Supervisor then evaluates the budgets and makes changes. He can move hours from store to store as long as he does not exceed his allotment of tech hours.

Without knowing how many hours your store is over or under I can't comment on field management interfering with store hours. If your store is way over hours then the Pharmacy Supervisor will be there asking questions and making the PIC reduce hours to be in line with his/her budget. I know of NO instance where a store is within budget that has been forced to reduce tech hours.

Whose Bonus Depends on Hours:
  • Store Manager
  • District Manager
  • Pharmacy Supervisor
  • Regional Manager
  • Area VP
Whose Bonus DOES not depend on Hours:
  • PIC
  • Staff Pharmacist

I must say that our front store manager at CVS is terrible. She has gotten upset with us on how to scan coupons and not do paid outs. However, on Thursday we got a drop shipment for Zostavax from McKesson. Zostavax is a temperature sensitive item that must be kept below 5 degrees Farenheit. Anyways, it gets to our store on Thursday and the pharmacy doesn't get it until today, Sunday. The store manager does not even seem sorry for losing $200 or does not apologize. Instead she makes up lame excuses about it being UPS's fault and she wasn't there Thursday. How can you miss a big box sitting in the office? I think it just frustrates me how she can get mad about a $30 coupon but doesn't realize we lost $200 because of their lack of responsiblity.

I must say that our front store manager at CVS is terrible. She has gotten upset with us on how to scan coupons and not do paid outs. However, on Thursday we got a drop shipment for Zostavax from McKesson. Zostavax is a temperature sensitive item that must be kept below 5 degrees Farenheit. Anyways, it gets to our store on Thursday and the pharmacy doesn't get it until today, Sunday. The store manager does not even seem sorry for losing $200 or does not apologize. Instead she makes up lame excuses about it being UPS's fault and she wasn't there Thursday. How can you miss a big box sitting in the office? I think it just frustrates me how she can get mad about a $30 coupon but doesn't realize we lost $200 because of their lack of responsiblity.

I always sense resentment between the fs and rx. It's usually always about the salaries. Whatever, i do my job, help my patients and then go home. The fs is the least of my problems. And if they screw up our payroll, my PS and DM hear about it:)

another thing about CVS is that they are stalking your every move on the register..... reports print up with any of your transgressions and I didn't know about "register probation" so now I have another thing to watch out for.

does register probation mean you can't ring anyone up? cuz that sounds like a reward to me :rolleyes:

reasons you might mess up on the register:
how you scan coupons (esp competitiors. i have this one down though since i do about 4-8 coupons per day :eek: )

how you ring up a discounted item (even though they say in their training videos, just make it right for the customer, be ready to explain yourself!)

use price verify to check a price on an item (even though theres a button, do not use price verify. instead, log into a gun, and scan the item (1 gun per pharmacy so good luck finding it and being fast about it)

Finally, the triple SSS grading score is not exactly accurate because angry people are more likely to call in and complain so that scews your ratings. Not to mention, that some stores call their own in or rip them off the receipt for the angry/upset customers and so that makes you look even worse.

there are problems at every chain because they are stalking your every move, just figure out which one you can live with....

another thing about CVS is that they are stalking your every move on the register..... reports print up with any of your transgressions and I didn't know about "register probation" so now I have another thing to watch out for. does register probation mean you can't ring anyone up? cuz that sounds like a reward to me :rolleyes:

Well if employees wouldn't steal so much, corporate would not have to be so vigilant. They are not stalking your every move, they are prudently monitoring your behavior and watching to make sure my raise does not go into your pocket. Register probation occurs when your drawer short so often they suspect you are a thief or an idiot. So they give your own drawer and nobody can ring on it but you. This lasts for twenty shifts. If you continue to be short, your term of employment will be brief.

reasons you might mess up on the register:
how you scan coupons (esp competitiors. i have this one down though since i do about 4-8 coupons per day :eek: )

how you ring up a discounted item (even though they say in their training videos, just make it right for the customer, be ready to explain yourself!)

use price verify to check a price on an item (even though theres a button, do not use price verify. instead, log into a gun, and scan the item (1 gun per pharmacy so good luck finding it and being fast about it)

Just be prepared to explain your actions. If you have a reasonable explanation, you will not have any difficulty. If there are 10 people in line, then use the price verify button. Again, if people would not use the price verify button to steal, this would not be a problem.

Finally, the triple SSS grading score is not exactly accurate because angry people are more likely to call in and complain so that scews your ratings. Not to mention, that some stores call their own in or rip them off the receipt for the angry/upset customers and so that makes you look even worse.

Again, please read what I said. It is clear and the data is incontrovertible, stores with a higher SSS score are better performing, have higher sales, make more profit, fare better against competition. Customers who rate at the highest level, spend more per visit, have more visits and are less likely to even try a competitor. There are always people who try to game the system. They are just cheating themselves. If you have that many customers who are angry then your team is not doing a good job.

there are problems at every chain because they are stalking your every move, just figure out which one you can live with....

You have such a misguided view of life. They are responsible to the shareholders to account for the 42 billion dollars in sales and to make sure the money ends up in the bottom line and not walking out in someones pocket. Why do you think there is such and emphasis on lose prevention? Because so many employees steal. It's not nice, but it is true. I can't tell you the number of pharmacists, lead techs, techs and cashiers that try to scam the system. They get caught in the end. It boggles the mind.

Well if employees wouldn't steal so much, corporate would not have to be so vigilant. They are not stalking your every move, they are prudently monitoring your behavior and watching to make sure my raise does not go into your pocket. Register probation occurs when your drawer short so often they suspect you are a thief or an idiot. So they give your own drawer and nobody can ring on it but you. This lasts for twenty shifts. If you continue to be short, your term of employment will be brief.

Just be prepared to explain your actions. If you have a reasonable explanation, you will not have any difficulty. If there are 10 people in line, then use the price verify button. Again, if people would not use the price verify button to steal, this would not be a problem.

Again, please read what I said. It is clear and the data is incontrovertible, stores with a higher SSS score are better performing, have higher sales, make more profit, fare better against competition. Customers who rate at the highest level, spend more per visit, have more visits and are less likely to even try a competitor. There are always people who try to game the system. They are just cheating themselves. If you have that many customers who are angry then your team is not doing a good job.

You have such a misguided view of life. They are responsible to the shareholders to account for the 42 billion dollars in sales and to make sure the money ends up in the bottom line and not walking out in someones pocket. Why do you think there is such and emphasis on lose prevention? Because so many employees steal. It's not nice, but it is true. I can't tell you the number of pharmacists, lead techs, techs and cashiers that try to scam the system. They get caught in the end. It boggles the mind.

I have a misguided view of life? NO. I don't think so. I am being realistic, I am not drinking the CVS punch or the Walgreens punch or the hospital pharmacy punch. Simple as that. There are flaws to every job and company and I'm not going to pretend everythings perfect and it wouldn't be fair to the original poster to paint only a pretty picture of a retail giant.

And I find it funny how obsessed they are about loss prevention to save the company tons of money and then they have coupons EVERYWHERE (mail, ads, newspaper wrapping, etc). They say it makes money, sure it might, but at whose expense? The pharmacist who can barely handle 350-400/day is now doing 10 transfers a day and then people get angry because things get backed up.

As far as us doing something wrong to have angry customers, that's just not fair. The higher the volume, the more chances for a wait or angry customer. And then factor in that my store is in a very ritzy area and no one wants to wait more than 5 minutes and then our SSS scores go in the toilet.

I'm not intending this to be a love/hate argument, but I think the truth should be out there. I know I'd want to know realistically what I was getting myself into and not all stores in a chain are the same.

I would love to know how many prescriptions your store fills in a week. 350-400 per day is certainly manageable with todays technology and a well trained staff.

I didn't say everything about CVS was great. I have 25 years of retail experience at every possible volume both chain and independent. This is simple and basic. Corporates job is to drive customers into the store and it's your job to keep them happy. Just one more customer you say. Let's say that transfer is my mom and step father. Both are over 70 and have multiple medical problems. My step father is s/p MI, CAD,CRF Diabetes. Treat him nice, because they generate over 15,000.00 per year in prescription sales alone, not counting what they buy over the counter. You think the $20.00 gift card means anything to CVS if they can get a customer like that?

Just be thankful the ten transfers are in and not out.

I guess may largest beef with todays pharmacist is they suffer from a lack of gratitude. You have no appreciation for how much you get paid for what you do. I got out of school and made $12.50 per hour and I am grateful to CVS for how much I make now, my three weeks of vacations, 401K, health insurance, stock options, etc....

Just be quiet and do the transfers and chat up the people with gift cards. It's another chance to get to know a new patient and be able to impact their lives. Trust me when people are lined up in the doctors office, the doctor does not look at them as an inconvenience and neither should you.

Is retail in general and CVS in particular a panacea, no it is NOT and it is not for everyone. If you want less interaction with the public, there are other options you can pursue and I won't bother to list them here.

If you think you can't devote the time you need to meeting the needs of your patients or to provide what ever minimum standard of care your feel you should provide, quit and do something else. I know it can be done and I know how rewarding it is to do it.

I have spend the last six years in store that did between 2200-2500 per week and it was also a very wealthy patient base and I was able to get to know these people. If they know you, they cut you plenty of slack on the time issue.

Life is what you make it. There is no greater need for clinical care than in the community setting. This is especially true when drugs have become more powerful and patients see multiple physicians.

STOP complaining about how busy it is. These are your choices:

• Dig in and get the job done.
  • Transfer to slower store.
  • Leave the company
  • Leave retail
  • Leave the profession
Just remember, the people who come to the counter are the ones that pay your six figure salary, there is no money tree in Rhode Island (CVS) or Chicago (Walgreens) that provides your livelihood. When they stop coming so does your salary increases and eventually your job.

I would love to know how many prescriptions your store fills in a week. 350-400 per day is certainly manageable with todays technology and a well trained staff.

I didn't say everything about CVS was great. I have 25 years of retail experience at every possible volume both chain and independent. This is simple and basic. Corporates job is to drive customers into the store and it's your job to keep them happy. Just one more customer you say. Let's say that transfer is my mom and step father. Both are over 70 and have multiple medical problems. My step father is s/p MI, CAD,CRF Diabetes. Treat him nice, because they generate over 15,000.00 per year in prescription sales alone, not counting what they buy over the counter. You think the $20.00 gift card means anything to CVS if they can get a customer like that?

Just be thankful the ten transfers are in and not out.

I guess may largest beef with todays pharmacist is they suffer from a lack of gratitude. You have no appreciation for how much you get paid for what you do. I got out of school and made $12.50 per hour and I am grateful to CVS for how much I make now, my three weeks of vacations, 401K, health insurance, stock options, etc....

Just be quiet and do the transfers and chat up the people with gift cards. It's another chance to get to know a new patient and be able to impact their lives. Trust me when people are lined up in the doctors office, the doctor does not look at them as an inconvenience and neither should you.

Is retail in general and CVS in particular a panacea, no it is NOT and it is not for everyone. If you want less interaction with the public, there are other options you can pursue and I won't bother to list them here.

If you think you can't devote the time you need to meeting the needs of your patients or to provide what ever minimum standard of care your feel you should provide, quit and do something else. I know it can be done and I know how rewarding it is to do it.

I have spend the last six years in store that did between 2200-2500 per week and it was also a very wealthy patient base and I was able to get to know these people. If they know you, they cut you plenty of slack on the time issue.

Life is what you make it. There is no greater need for clinical care than in the community setting. This is especially true when drugs have become more powerful and patients see multiple physicians.

STOP complaining about how busy it is. These are your choices:

• Dig in and get the job done.
  • Transfer to slower store.
  • Leave the company
  • Leave retail
  • Leave the profession
Just remember, the people who come to the counter are the ones that pay your six figure salary, there is no money tree in Rhode Island (CVS) or Chicago (Walgreens) that provides your livelihood. When they stop coming so does your salary increases and eventually your job.

Get off my case and refer to post #12 by me. I'm not going to argue with you. I don't have to defend my choices to you or anyone else and I am entitled to answer the OPs good/bad/ugly question.

Hey Oldtimer,

I really like working for CVS. In my 14 months I have gotten to know numerous people, even one who says she'll be my adopted mother. Anyways, I can understand the things CVS does and it does make sense. Today, we had a sticker that was a month old on a blood glucose monitor that was at $9.99 with the xtra care card. I called for the shift manager to come back. She said it would be $9.99. I told her I would not check them out because I have had register problems and don't feel comfortable price modifying a $75 item to $10. Thankfully she did it for me.

I have also been told to watch my overtime. I think last week I probably got some because we had 2 people (intern and a tech) go on vacation. This week I've been told to watch my hours and to take hour long breaks. I was scheduled to work right at 40 hours a week. What benefit is it for me to take an hour long break when I work a 7 hour shift (I'd only get paid for 6 hours). I'm going to be in debt a 100 grand. Who does this benefit? During last semester, I worked numerous times over 30 hours a week, yet I still have no vacation time or holiday pay. I guess what I'm asking is, as someone experienced like you, what would make me, a pretty good tech, want to take an hour lunch break just to make sure I don't get OT? Who benefits from this?

Thanks for answering any questions for me. I really respect you Oldtimer and I hope that in 20 years I will have the passion for pharmacy and my company the same way you have.

Hey Oldtimer,

I really like working for CVS. In my 14 months I have gotten to know numerous people, even one who says she'll be my adopted mother.
That's the way it's supposed to work. It's why you become a pharmacist.

Anyways, I can understand the things CVS does and it does make sense. Today, we had a sticker that was a month old on a blood glucose monitor that was at $9.99 with the xtra care card. I called for the shift manager to come back. She said it would be $9.99. I told her I would not check them out because I have had register problems and don't feel comfortable price modifying a $75 item to $10. Thankfully she did it for me.
I hope you know anyone of your pharmacists can also override anything at the register with their employee/management/discount card.

I have also been told to watch my overtime. I think last week I probably got some because we had 2 people (intern and a tech) go on vacation. This week I've been told to watch my hours and to take hour long breaks. I was scheduled to work right at 40 hours a week. What benefit is it for me to take an hour long break when I work a 7 hour shift (I'd only get paid for 6 hours). I'm going to be in debt a 100 grand. Who does this benefit? During last semester, I worked numerous times over 30 hours a week, yet I still have no vacation time or holiday pay. I guess what I'm asking is, as someone experienced like you, what would make me, a pretty good tech, want to take an hour lunch break just to make sure I don't get OT? Who benefits from this?
Official CVS policy is on an eight hour shift, you get 2 paid 15 minute breaks and one unpaid 1/2 hour meal break. They don't like paying 50% more for something than they have to. Enjoy the breaks you are getting, because you won't get them when you are a pharmacist. You should not have to take an hour lunch break. You have to speak to your PIC.

Thanks for answering any questions for me. I really respect you Oldtimer and I hope that in 20 years I will have the passion for pharmacy and my company the same way you have.

You are welcome. If you don't have the passion for your job, it's really hard to go to work.

Right. But the patients at the doctor's office aren't lined up watching the doctor work, either. :laugh: The doc might feel differently about it then.

Old Timer, I know that a pharmacist can override anything at the register. However, our store manager still has gotten on to me when the PIC said to do something one way and I did it the way of the PIC. The manager told me the PIC didn't know what she was talking about. I've been burned on the register on things that don't make sense. So if it will be a bit complicated, I try to stay out of it. Lucky for me I'm transfering stores in a month so I won't have to deal with as much grief at the register.

Old Timer, I know that a pharmacist can override anything at the register. However, our store manager still has gotten on to me when the PIC said to do something one way and I did it the way of the PIC. The manager told me the PIC didn't know what she was talking about. I've been burned on the register on things that don't make sense. So if it will be a bit complicated, I try to stay out of it. Lucky for me I'm transfering stores in a month so I won't have to deal with as much grief at the register.

Once any member of the management time overrides something at the register, it is no longer your responsibility and you cannot be written up or reprimanded.

If it is no longer our responsibility, why do we have to fill out paper works on why we did a refund and voided a transaction? Shouldn't the manager that overrode it do that? Just curious.