CVS, Target, Walmart, Costco, Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheHillCrew

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I usually only hear about people working in pharmacys at CVS or Walgreens. They have pharmacys in many other places such as: Target, Costco, Walmart, Kmart, and private pharmacies. Does anyone work at a Costco Kmart pharmacy or private pharmacy? How do these places compare to CVS and Walgreens?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have worked for Walgreen's for 5 years, and done rotations and Kroger's (a grocery chain) and a small privately owned pharmacy in the middle of nowhere in Central Nebraska. I would choose Walgreen's simply because all other computer systems are obsolete and annoying by comparison. A friend of mine just took a job with CVS and she is saying that while it's an improvement over PDX (used by Kroger, which is marginally better than QS1, used by many independents), it's still not as good as Walgreen's.

Target pays way better than Walgreen's, though - my classmates made an average of $2 more an hour than I, and they have a very generous tuition reimbursement program - I think it's $3000 a year with no commitment required.
 
I have worked for Walgreen's for 5 years, and done rotations and Kroger's (a grocery chain) and a small privately owned pharmacy in the middle of nowhere in Central Nebraska. I would choose Walgreen's simply because all other computer systems are obsolete and annoying by comparison. A friend of mine just took a job with CVS and she is saying that while it's an improvement over PDX (used by Kroger, which is marginally better than QS1, used by many independents), it's still not as good as Walgreen's.

Target pays way better than Walgreen's, though - my classmates made an average of $2 more an hour than I, and they have a very generous tuition reimbursement program - I think it's $3000 a year with no commitment required.

Yes, because practicing pharmacy is all about how good the computer system is, nothing else matters. Of course at Walgrrens you spend all day at the verification computer making sure the pink pill in the bottle matches the picture of the pink pill on the screen so I can see why having a good computer is so important if you work for Walgreens.

Those of us that actually practice pharmacy, and do not stare at a computer screen all day, could really care less about having the latest greatest computer system.

It may be hard to imagine but there was a time when there were no computers. I know its hard to believe. How in the world did anything get done, but trust me it did.
 
Yes, because practicing pharmacy is all about how good the computer system is, nothing else matters. Of course at Walgrrens you spend all day at the verification computer making sure the pink pill in the bottle matches the picture of the pink pill on the screen so I can see why having a good computer is so important if you work for Walgreens.

Those of us that actually practice pharmacy, and do not stare at a computer screen all day, could really care less about having the latest greatest computer system.

It may be hard to imagine but there was a time when there were no computers. I know its hard to believe. How in the world did anything get done, but trust me it did.

I want to know how you think their job isn't practicing pharmacy. Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of the technology if it's there?
 
Yes, because practicing pharmacy is all about how good the computer system is, nothing else matters. Of course at Walgrrens you spend all day at the verification computer making sure the pink pill in the bottle matches the picture of the pink pill on the screen so I can see why having a good computer is so important if you work for Walgreens.

Those of us that actually practice pharmacy, and do not stare at a computer screen all day, could really care less about having the latest greatest computer system.

It may be hard to imagine but there was a time when there were no computers. I know its hard to believe. How in the world did anything get done, but trust me it did.


So you worked before pharmacies had computers, big deal. Computers are not going anywhere so saying that you "actually practice pharmacy" is pointless. Not using the technology (or wanting to) available to make you a better clinician, and patients safer is idiotic at best. I guess physicians actually practiced before x-rays and sonograms ect. right:hardy:
 
Mountain Pharm D - You're on a pretty big horse up there - make certain you don't fall off - it's going to hurt.
 
Yes, because practicing pharmacy is all about how good the computer system is, nothing else matters. Of course at Walgrrens you spend all day at the verification computer making sure the pink pill in the bottle matches the picture of the pink pill on the screen so I can see why having a good computer is so important if you work for Walgreens.

Everything else about practicing pharmacy is virtually the same in every retail setting, I am not about to waste my time listing similarities. Besides, my main area of practice is industry, so I can get on my own soapbox about retail being degrading and mind-numbing (but it adds pocket money for my foreign travels 😀). However, a good computer system is saving time. If you work in a pharmacy filling 200 scripts a day that doesn't matter, but if you fill 600+, it does make a difference whether cashing out a claim with expired insurance takes 1 mouseclick or 7 keystrokes. That's better work environment, better customer service, and yes, more time to spend with patients. If you enjoy doing everything manually - flag into your hands and on you march into the Middle Ages, but please don't drag the rest of the 21st century population with you. 😉
 
I usually only hear about people working in pharmacys at CVS or Walgreens. They have pharmacys in many other places such as: Target, Costco, Walmart, Kmart, and private pharmacies. Does anyone work at a Costco Kmart pharmacy or private pharmacy? How do these places compare to CVS and Walgreens?

Ahhh one of these 'battle royale' threads. :laugh:
 
Those of us that actually practice pharmacy, and do not stare at a computer screen all day, could really care less about having the latest greatest computer system.

wow, you are my idol...🙄
too bad everyone can't be as cool as you.
 
Costco employees always seem so happy to me, I have never interacted with a pharmacist there though. The clerks at the pharmacy seem happy too. I know I am always happy when I am shopping at Costco. I would like to intern there and see what it is like in a mass merchandiser, just have to stay away from those delicious sausage dogs and churros!
 
Dang...I have to quit forgetting where I post comments. I miss all the good stuff. I nearly missed this one.

Reading these comments are hilarious!!!!!

You people have to be freaking kidding me!!!! I swear Walgreens brainwashes you people. It must be subliminally pumped through the musak they play over and over..... You are a good pharmacist because you have a good computer system... You are a good pharmacist because you have a good computer system... over and over......

I mean seriously you think filling 600 prescriptions a day with two pharmacists and three techs is practicing pharmacy? Standing at the verification terminal and making sure the picture on the screen matches the pill in the bottle is practicing pharmacy? Seriously, you are going to defend this postion?????

I have to stop and go to bed this is making my head hurt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you worked before pharmacies had computers, big deal. Computers are not going anywhere so saying that you "actually practice pharmacy" is pointless. Not using the technology (or wanting to) available to make you a better clinician, and patients safer is idiotic at best. I guess physicians actually practiced before x-rays and sonograms ect. right:hardy:

I can't stop I am sorry....There are to many priceless comments to stop now... What in the world does a computer have to with making you a better clinician??? How does it make patients safer??? You can blow by interaction screens the same way you can throw away the screen printouts you get with PDX.

How about you do this. Give me your take or spin on what practicing pharmacy is. I mean really put your thinking cap on slick and come up with a good answer. If you say anything about computers, I will use my superpowers to reach throught the screen and slap you.
 
I
How about you do this. Give me your take or spin on what practicing pharmacy is. I mean really put your thinking cap on slick and come up with a good answer. If you say anything about computers, I will use my superpowers to reach throught the screen and slap you.

Heh, can I resist such an offer? 😀 Practicing pharmacy is helping patients use their medications in the safe, cost-effective manner. Whether you do it using computer (note the word!), dog-eared book, or pure memory (in which case you better not be responsible for chemo for anybody I care about!), it's your, ahem, clinical judgement.

BTW have you noticed that the first post of this thread is not asking about practice of pharmacy, it's asking for comparison of different retail sites, which are all essentially almost the same? Or is reading off the screen also an unnecessary skill for a practicing pharmacist? Oh, and English grammar doesn't crossbreed ellipses and exclamation points. 😉 (that's my soapbox du jour)
 
I did a rotation at Target and worked a couple of hours a week for a supermarket chain, Publix for a 2nd year rotation. Both these places used the same computer system. When a prescription is typed in, it will give you an error for excessive usage if it is refilled a couple of days early. The pharmacist has to override this. It's almost a waste to have the tech type in a prescription, because the pharmacist has to come and read over the DUR error and type in initials for an override.

There is a limited inventory of drugs in comparison to a retail chain. You do tons of partial fills. There are no automatic counting devices. If a patient gets a quantity of 180, you have to manually count it.

People also think you are an information desk. At a retail pharmacy, their are clerks in the aisles at all times to help people with their purchases. At Publix and Target you get asked non-pharmacy questions all the time.

I worked at Eckerd/CVS during during my 1st year of school. The following year, I signed up with Walgreens so I could do a direct comparison.

Based on my experiences in the Tampa Bay area (it may vary by your area of the country), I chose to be a Walgreens pharmacist.
 
BTW have you noticed that the first post of this thread is not asking about practice of pharmacy, it's asking for comparison of different retail sites, which are all essentially almost the same? Or is reading off the screen also an unnecessary skill for a practicing pharmacist? Oh, and English grammar doesn't crossbreed ellipses and exclamation points. 😉 (that's my soapbox du jour)

I am pretty sure I understand what the OP was asking. I am however having some trouble picking up on things like sarcasm so its possible I may have missed something.

Let me clarify, you believe ALL retail sites are basically the same? Very interesting but you are totally wrong. Believe it or not I was trying to make a point. I feel if you stand in front of a computer all day verifing a technician put the right pill in the bottle and that is it, you are not practicing pharmacy. Basically, you are a factory worker doing assembly line work that anyone can do. Which is quite accurate for Walgreens. I mean you have a moving conveyor belt, not much different than working in a factory.

Oh, I have no time for spelling or grammer. I am on a quest to get 10,000 posts by next month so I must hurry. I have been a member on here since '04 and I have only 200 post, I feel very inadequate.
 
Also, when people have a medical problem, many come to a pharmacist first. I see around 10 patients a day at my store & decide if there is an OTC med that will work for them or not. If not, I recommend a prescription product and send them to an MD. You don't really do much of this in a grocery store pharmacy. So, if you like to have some interactions with people then a chain drugstore is your best bet. You also get tons of phone calls from people asking about drug interactions.

If all I did was stand around and verify, then it would get pretty boring. Sort of like being a hospital staff pharmacist. They sit in front of a computer in a room with no windows and do data entry from scanned in orders. I couldn't stand doing that.
 
Let me clarify, you believe ALL retail sites are basically the same? Very interesting but you are totally wrong. Believe it or not I was trying to make a point. I feel if you stand in front of a computer all day verifing a technician put the right pill in the bottle and that is it, you are not practicing pharmacy. Basically, you are a factory worker doing assembly line work that anyone can do. Which is quite accurate for Walgreens. I mean you have a moving conveyor belt, not much different than working in a factory.

Of course. They have the same operating principle, the differences are purely cosmetic - some minor differences in what functions can support staff perform, and the computer system, and the compensation/benefits package, and shifts. The principle is still the same - receive the script - check the script - dispense the script - counsel on the script.

And what possesses you to think that Walgreen's pharmacists stand in front of the computer and do nothing but verify scripts all day? No, there are probably some that do that, but it's their personal (in)competence problem, not Walgreen's. I am sure the patient with whom I spoke for 45 minutes and ended up sending her to the ER when she called asking whether there are some OTC meds for nausea would be very surprised. I think people at busier retail chains are more suited to multitasking - I can verify AND answer the phone AND help out a colleague at the same time. It always makes me smile when my grocery store counterparts complain that they had a busy day and they only did some 60 scripts. And yes, I counsel on every new scripts (that's not just good practice, that's the law!). And there isn't a shift that I don't make several phone calls to the doctors about their patients' regimens. And I answer a ton of OTC questions. So please don't try to pretend your personal delusions about Walgreen's are a set-in-stone hard truth. 🙂 You have a problem with conveyor belt? Too bad for you. It keeps my counter clean, and reduces clutter AND resulting medication errors - it amazes me how people can work with twenty scripts for ten different people cluttering one tiny little piece of the counter, pushing on each other.

I am however having some trouble picking up on things like sarcasm so its possible I may have missed something.

That's OK, I find your oh-so-Midwestern blindness to anything beyond your own nose rather amusing even if you don't get it. 😀

Oh, I have no time for spelling or grammer.

Oh, believe me, I've noticed. I just doubt I would want my family's meds filled by someone with such amazing attention to detail, who is, moreover, averse to letting a computer check such basic things for him. 😀
 
If all I did was stand around and verify, then it would get pretty boring. Sort of like being a hospital staff pharmacist. They sit in front of a computer in a room with no windows and do data entry from scanned in orders. I couldn't stand doing that.

I agree. Some hospitals are better than others, but I have visited one where pharmacists literally just entered orders all day, no going on rounds or anything, never talking to anyone other than an occasioinal nurse, no variety. I would rather have my brain taken out with a rusty spoon than work in a place like that. Now, our transplant pharmacists didn't touch the orders and spend their whole day rounding and counseling patients and working on their regimens - that would be fun. 🙂
 
It amazes me how some co-professionals have such a thorn up their a$$ about walgreens. That is fine that you don't like it. It is pathetic that you take every chance you can to bash it.

I am glad that many don't like it. That means there is more B-rate for me.
 
I agree. Some hospitals are better than others, but I have visited one where pharmacists literally just entered orders all day, no going on rounds or anything, never talking to anyone other than an occasioinal nurse, no variety. I would rather have my brain taken out with a rusty spoon than work in a place like that. 🙂

I agree, I had a rotation in a hospital like that. It was the longest month of my life. Funny thing is the Pharmacists sat around all day taking about how terrible retail was.
 
It amazes me how some co-professionals have such a thorn up their a$$ about walgreens. That is fine that you don't like it. It is pathetic that you take every chance you can to bash it.

I am glad that many don't like it. That means there is more B-rate for me.

What are you talking about!?!?! Walgreens rocks!!! Their computer system is the bomb!!!👍
 
Easy Killers... Its ok to feel passionate about what you like or dislike - but it is counter productive to bash another's point of view simply because you are passionate about the opposing view. Keep an open mind...

For the record - if you are Pre-pharm or P1 - you probably dont have enough experience to give valuable contribution to this thread. Mountain, Hels, and dgoulx are a bit further along the path of pharmacy, and have valuable insight. Now if they could only play nice together...

~above~
 
I am considering pharmacy school and after reading this thread, what I really wan to know is why it takes 5 years and a pharmD to look at a computer screen all day and count and match up pills? I mean really? Please tell me that the average day includes something other than reading to customers what it says on the little leaflet.
 
I am considering pharmacy school and after reading this thread, what I really wan to know is why it takes 5 years and a pharmD to look at a computer screen all day and count and match up pills? I mean really? Please tell me that the average day includes something other than reading to customers what it says on the little leaflet.

Thats life at Walgreens and CVS......
 
I am considering pharmacy school and after reading this thread, what I really wan to know is why it takes 5 years and a pharmD to look at a computer screen all day and count and match up pills? I mean really? Please tell me that the average day includes something other than reading to customers what it says on the little leaflet.

I mainly check drug interactions and talk to patients about those interactions. Don't confuse a pharmacist with a technician. I do check their work, but I don't count pills.

For instance, we dispense lots of prednisone. This can increase your blood sugar, so I make sure that I counsel all diabetics when they start a course of steroids. This doesn't pop up on a computer screen. But, it is something that happens and my patients need to be aware of it.

I guess you missed my post on OTC recommendations. I have to look at every sore, bite, puffy red area, rash, etc. People tend to see a pharmacist for free rather than pay for an MD. People come in to treat fevers, coughs, colds, yeast infections, fungal infections, ear problems, etc. I have to be able to tell the difference between something that can be self-treated and something that requires an office visit or an ER visit. If it can be self-treated then I need to assess the patient and choose the correct product.

I absolutely love retail pharmacy. I suppose you could choose be one of those pharmacists who just want to stay at a computer all day, but that's not me. Your job is what you make of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you for your post dgroulx, I had not thought of all those things. I am willing to do all of those things and more but I am so scared that math and physics are going to stand between me and the dream.