CVS Tech Training Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaleyRX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a job at CVS and I'm a Pharmacy Service Associate (cashier). I went to the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy site and found out that I have to get a permit, work 600 hours, and then take the test to be certified.
Meanwhile, CVS gave me a book full of tasks that have to be learned and training videos that have to be completed before I can move on to being a tech.
So I need to do both the Board of Pharmacy stuff and the CVS stuff? I'm confused and the pharmacist said she wasn't sure.
Also, I started at $7/hr..do I get a raise when I become a tech (by doing the CVS training stuff)? Or only if I finish the stuff to become certified? I do want to get certified, but with all the Board of Pharmacy requirements it looks like it will take a while!
Thanks for your help..and any other info about working at CVS is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you only get a raise after you are officially a technician which means being certified. Also, CVS has a percent raise system which means they only do a maximum of 6% raises at a time. If your store has a technician in training title, then you may be able to get a raise after you complete the CVS training process. The best thing to do would be check with your head pharmacist and store manager as they are the ones to decide the raise information. =) Hope that helps!

HaleyRX which one did you apply for and did you just fill out an application on the internet or just walk in and ask because I was told that LA changed the law and you had to be certified first.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have worked for CVS in NC for the last 5 years. I was hired @ age 16 and I was listed as a PSA for about 5 months then I got tech status. I did get a $1 raise but I got nationally certified a while back and CVS now says that it does not entitle me to a raise.........maybe different where you live but it seems my situation is just screwed. Im going to walgreens tomorrow as a matter of fact - CVS doesnt put enough emphasis on their employees, instead they worry WAY too much about stupid reports and the flippin wait time. 10 minutes is the worst thing you can say nowadays...our patients expect 5 minutes in a store that cranks out 800+ scripts a day. sorry for the rant it just burns me up when i think about how much money CVS makes and how much they waste with dumb reports and "quizzes" and mail etc. jeez with all that waste of paper they could pay every tech $2 more an hour. :( hate them more everyday i work.

to make a long story short: dont expect them to throw money your way even if you get tech status or certified. we get a 3% raise yearly but not surprisingly that takes months usually lol errrrrrrr

Well right now I'm just PSA. I talked to the pharmacy trainer and I have to do the stuff with the board of pharmacy..get the permit, etc. AND all of the "CVS Training Modules"..it seems like it will take a very long time, but I hope not. And that is disappointing about the raise. I got more to be a cashier at Target! :confused: But I'm mainly in it for experience right now so it'll be alright. I don't understand how all these techs make $14 or $16 an hour when it seems like if the raises are small I'll never get that far....