CVS techs/intern/pharmacists help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to CVS; I kinda touched on all stations right now but I am so freaked out when I am at the drop off. Since I don't know anything about how to use the system and typing that kind of stuff, I am most likely placed on other stations, but I want to learn the drop off. I feel like that's the most important one; once I know how to work around drop off, I will know how to deal with insurance stuff, customer problems etc.

Here is the problem, beside the doctors hand writing, I don't know how to input the insurance! I remember in the training, the trainer mentioned about the condor code, does anybody have a list of commonly used condor code? I am in So Cal, so if you do have the list for So Cal, could you please email it to me? Many, many thanks! I am so desperate right now...

Members don't see this ad.

The condor codes are CVS's specific payor plan listing. No one outside of CVS will ever mention them. You will learn a couple of them as you go. I worked with CVS for 5 years and I only bothered to memorize 4 or 5. These are state medicaid plans, medicare part B, and BC/BS of FL. The best way is to look up by BIN and PCN. Both SHOULD be listed on the card. Search by the BIN number and scroll until you see a listing with the matching PCN number. CVS has a few duplicate records so pick one and if it doesnt work, try the next. You will get used to seeing mostly the same cards and learn which plans to pick. You can write down the useful CCs as you figure them out and keep them with you if that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that bad, you really have to learn just some basic things and then repetition takes care of the rest. First it helps to know your SIG codes (qd=daily, BID = twice daily) as that will help shorten the amount of typing, errors and time spent inputting a script. For example, instead of having to type "take 1 to 2 tablets by mouth daily for 10 days as needed for pain" you would do "12T;po;qd;fxd;ppa" and that's a shorthand for CVS (FYI, CVS using semicolon to separate codes). Rxnet has a list of the sig codes and shorthands that CVS has built into the system (like "ZPAK" or "NUVARING" which automatically populates the instructions) Each day learn new ones and before you know it, you have an arsenal of sig codes. As for insurance, I do not think condor codes are worth learning (in my opinion) but you may feel different. I had never heard or used condor codes before CVS so I assume it's unique to their system so I didn't bother learning as I may not even stay with them. What is universal to pharmacies are RXbin#, ID #, RXgrp and PCN is useful to have to if they are too many to choose from. The most important part of that is, you have to make sure the information you are collecting, it for RX. Some insurance companies issue a different card for prescription benefits and some have the information on the same card as medical. If they hand you a card and you don't see anything that refers to RX on the front or back then you most likely have the wrong card (with some exception like Medicaid, TRICARE and Medicare Part B for some diabetic supplies or Chemo covered drugs) As you input these, you will learn what each insurance prefers like how much of the ID you need or if you need to put a group number or person code. Some of these will be state specific too so just be patient and learn as you go.

basic steps for inputting insurance :
1. type in RXBIn number (you can also type in PCN here separated by a comma, though not necessary)
2. Look through the list and match the name of the carrier to the name of the pharmacy benefit processor and pick that one. Making sure the PCN matches.
3. add ID (some of the insurances have built in hints as you type this in) like !stletter and 9 didgits or ID must include person code
4. add RX group # ( note I say RXgroup not just the group number on the card)
5. Person code - I think this also has a list show up beside the box but it's pretty much 01 - cardholder(person who is the employee), 02 - spouse, 03 1st child, 04- 2nd child , 05 - 3rd child, you get my drift. Disclaimer, if the card has a person code printed next to the persons name this most likely trumps the previous coding. In my state some BCBS have person codes in the 50's (51 -cardholder, 52 - spouse and so on)
6. then relationship is obvious and should match the person code (cardholder, spouse, child and maybe another designation I can't remember right now)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that bad, you really have to learn just some basic things and then repetition takes care of the rest. First it helps to know your SIG codes (qd=daily, BID = twice daily) as that will help shorten the amount of typing, errors and time spent inputting a script. For example, instead of having to type "take 1 to 2 tablets by mouth daily for 10 days as needed for pain" you would do "12T;po;qd;fxd;ppa" and that's a shorthand for CVS (FYI, CVS using semicolon to separate codes). Rxnet has a list of the sig codes and shorthands that CVS has built into the system (like "ZPAK" or "NUVARING" which automatically populates the instructions) Each day learn new ones and before you know it, you have an arsenal of sig codes. As for insurance, I do not think condor codes are worth learning (in my opinion) but you may feel different. I had never heard or used condor codes before CVS so I assume it's unique to their system so I didn't bother learning as I may not even stay with them. What is universal to pharmacies are RXbin#, ID #, RXgrp and PCN is useful to have to if they are too many to choose from. The most important part of that is, you have to make sure the information you are collecting, it for RX. Some insurance companies issue a different card for prescription benefits and some have the information on the same card as medical. If they hand you a card and you don't see anything that refers to RX on the front or back then you most likely have the wrong card (with some exception like Medicaid, TRICARE and Medicare Part B for some diabetic supplies or Chemo covered drugs) As you input these, you will learn what each insurance prefers like how much of the ID you need or if you need to put a group number or person code. Some of these will be state specific too so just be patient and learn as you go.

basic steps for inputting insurance :
1. type in RXBIn number (you can also type in PCN here separated by a comma, though not necessary)
2. Look through the list and match the name of the carrier to the name of the pharmacy benefit processor and pick that one. Making sure the PCN matches.
3. add ID (some of the insurances have built in hints as you type this in) like !stletter and 9 didgits or ID must include person code
4. add RX group # ( note I say RXgroup not just the group number on the card)
5. Person code - I think this also has a list show up beside the box but it's pretty much 01 - cardholder(person who is the employee), 02 - spouse, 03 1st child, 04- 2nd child , 05 - 3rd child, you get my drift. Disclaimer, if the card has a person code printed next to the persons name this most likely trumps the previous coding. In my state some BCBS have person codes in the 50's (51 -cardholder, 52 - spouse and so on)
6. then relationship is obvious and should match the person code (cardholder, spouse, child and maybe another designation I can't remember right now)

Hope that helps!

I really appreciate your help! Like you said, it takes times, I hope I will learn everything and be able to solve most problems in the pharmacy.

The condor codes are CVS's specific payor plan listing. No one outside of CVS will ever mention them. You will learn a couple of them as you go. I worked with CVS for 5 years and I only bothered to memorize 4 or 5. These are state medicaid plans, medicare part B, and BC/BS of FL. The best way is to look up by BIN and PCN. Both SHOULD be listed on the card. Search by the BIN number and scroll until you see a listing with the matching PCN number. CVS has a few duplicate records so pick one and if it doesnt work, try the next. You will get used to seeing mostly the same cards and learn which plans to pick. You can write down the useful CCs as you figure them out and keep them with you if that helps.

I see there is a list of condor codes available......by the way, anybody has the list of abbreviations for the sig? I know the basics only ......(eg 1T;PO;prn)

you will learn trust me, i had no hospital or retail experience when i graduated and started working for cvs (not there anymore tho) I had no clue of insurance or the system, but you learn as you go on, use the techs to your best advanctage, i always tried to do it myself so i could try, then ill ask the tech to explain it while watching me so i can do it myself. Also they avoided putting me at drop off initially, but maybe ask that they put you there at slower times so you get some practice. Some days i asked not to be put on the schedule so i could pick the station i felt i wanted to practice more of that day.

you will learn trust me, i had no hospital or retail experience when i graduated and started working for cvs (not there anymore tho) I had no clue of insurance or the system, but you learn as you go on, use the techs to your best advanctage, i always tried to do it myself so i could try, then ill ask the tech to explain it while watching me so i can do it myself. Also they avoided putting me at drop off initially, but maybe ask that they put you there at slower times so you get some practice. Some days i asked not to be put on the schedule so i could pick the station i felt i wanted to practice more of that day.

In my home store, its so busy that I couldn't even learn in the drop off; I hadn't touched the drop off station actually. I just got my 8 hr training for dropped off, that's the first time I typed. Back to my home store, there are so few people that it is impossible for me to be placed in less busy time in the dropped off, there is always customers coming in. (most of the time, there is only 1 pharmacist, one tech and me). Now its summer and I am given so few hours, its impossible for me to learn .... I am so desperate to learn the system quick!

You can get a list of CVS sig codes on RXnet. Don't sweat it though, you will get it with time.

REally!? No one has told me that........ thanks very much! I will look for it!
Yeah, I have been told repetition makes perfect, but since I am given so few hours per week (and not even at the drop off), I am afraid I will not master it after a year either. The store is always busy, I couldn't even ask to place in a less busy time since there is no less busy time! Always lack of help, so I am only placed in the pick up/Drive thru where I can do the job quickly. Sigh...

I didn't want to work while in school, but I heard its easier to get a job right after school if I work as an intern while at school. You just graduated right? Any tips/advice for your underclassmen? ;)

You can get a list of CVS sig codes on RXnet. Don't sweat it though, you will get it with time.

Its helpful for sure, though it really would be nice if they updated the list, along with the substitution for preferred CII's. We get 'penalized' for ordering non-preferred, yet the computer always subs over to Mallinckrodt for MSContin (when it Rhodes) or Actavis (Kremmer's) for Concerta.

Its helpful for sure, though it really would be nice if they updated the list, along with the substitution for preferred CII's. We get 'penalized' for ordering non-preferred, yet the computer always subs over to Mallinckrodt for MSContin (when it Rhodes) or Actavis (Kremmer's) for Concerta.

I don't understand what you mean. Don't you just order using a 222 without writing in the NDC? That is how you should be ordering CIIs. :shrug:

I don't understand what you mean. Don't you just order using a 222 without writing in the NDC? That is how you should be ordering CIIs. :shrug:

Yeah, that's how I order. What I was meaning was more for drop-off/data entry.

For example, technician at drop-off enters MSContin 30 mg for RX and the computer substitutes it over to the generic Mallinckrodt brand when we always carry/receive Rhodes. There's probably a half dozen or so it does this for (Percocet, Dilaudid, Concerta, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's how I order. What I was meaning was more for drop-off/data entry.

For example, technician at drop-off enters MSContin 30 mg for RX and the computer substitutes it over to the generic Mallinckrodt brand when we always carry/receive Rhodes. There's probably a half dozen or so it does this for (Percocet, Dilaudid, Concerta, etc.)

OHHH yeah that is a real pain. We write the NDC on the page in the CII log and require the tech to check which NDC is in stock before typing the script. Or the person who checks the in stock status can write the NDC for the person who is going to type.

When I started as staff RPh we didn't do that. I was changing approximately 300 NDCs a day. ;)

Here's the list of short codes- there may be a few differences for stores serviced out of FL/TX distribution centers.
OHHH yeah that is a real pain. We write the NDC on the page in the CII log and require the tech to check which NDC is in stock before typing the script. Or the person who checks the in stock status can write the NDC for the person who is going to type.

When I started as staff RPh we didn't do that. I was changing approximately 300 NDCs a day. ;)

Ha, yes its quite maddening after a certain point.

Here's the list of short codes I made in a pdf file- might be a few differences for stores serviced out of TX/FL distribution centers.

Attachments

• Quick Pick.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 380
Reactions: 1 users
Here's the list of short codes- there may be a few differences for stores serviced out of FL/TX distribution centers.

Ha, yes its quite maddening after a certain point.

Here's the list of short codes I made in a pdf file- might be a few differences for stores serviced out of TX/FL distribution centers.

Oh I was talking about sig codes, those are quick pick codes. I love quick pick codes. Is there a way to look up a quick pick code that you know of, other than the one master list on RXNet?

Oh I was talking about sig codes, those are quick pick codes. I love quick pick codes. Is there a way to look up a quick pick code that you know of, other than the one master list on RXNet?

Unfortunately not that I know of (apart from what's already on RXNet), it would be nice if they would include it though in one of their system 'enhancements' they always perform.

Unfortunately not that I know of (apart from what's already on RXNet), it would be nice if they would include it though in one of their system 'enhancements' they always perform.

is RXNet same as Learnet? Where can I find the sig code on RXNet?

No, Learnet can be accessed both in the store and at home.

RXNet however is available only through the intranet (i.e. CVS's internal system). To get to RXNet, you have to press alt-F5 to get to the Radar homepage, then it is the tab on the right that says References and click RXNet. From there, you need to navigate around, but I believe its under Dispensing Support or something similar.

For you, I am going to post the sig codes and quick pick list. The sig codes are a lot more important than quick pick though so focus on those.

Attachments

• SIGCode_Final_12-09-1.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 736
  • QUICK_PICK_list.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 409
Reactions: 1 users
For you, I am going to post the sig codes and quick pick list. The sig codes are a lot more important than quick pick though so focus on those.

THANK YOU SO SO SO Much!!!!! You are the best !