Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cvs

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by manan982, Jan 3, 2018.

1. manan982

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#1 manan982, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lalaland33

Pre-Pharmacy
    Try to go in person to the CVS stores you want to work at. It helps to be certified but I have friends who got their pharm tech intern certification and got jobs.

manan982 likes this.
  4. cakezyum

Pre-Pharmacy
    You can call them and ask if you can schedule for an interview.

manan982 likes this.
  5. capri1722

capri1722 CU Skaggs c/o 2022

Pre-Pharmacy
    It depends on your state re: whether you have to be certified. For example, I did my undergrad in New Mexico, which requires techs to be licensed with the state board of pharmacy. To get licensed, you had to either be already certified or complete on-the-job training with a pharmacist. Some states, like Wisconsin and Hawaii, have no regulations for their techs. (Source: Mosby’s Pharmacy Technician Principles and Practice, 4e) You can probably find this information by googling “[STATE] board of pharmacy.”

If you decide you want to get certified, go to ptcb.org and register for a test date. If you pass the test, you’re certified. I don’t recommend going in blind though. I did about 6 months of self-study before I took the exam.

Once you are certified you will be required to take 20 hours of continuing education (CE) every 2 years, including 1 hour of pharmacy law and 1 hour of patient safety (Florida has different requirements). YOU are solely responsible for finding and completing training courses. There are free courses available online, you just have to look for them and complete them whenever you find them, because I guarantee you will not find enough free CEs a month before your recertification deadline.

manan982 likes this.
  6. dannnielleeee

Pre-Pharmacy
    My first pharmacy job was at CVS. I applied with no training/experience/license, and CVS provided my training.

At the time, they had their own training program and their own state licensing exam that was approved by my state's board of pharmacy, so upon completion and passing the exam, you got your state license.

I think about a year after I was hired CVS stopped using their own exam and instead new techs would have to take the state-written exam, but they still provided the training for it.

Since I didn't have any experience in pharmacy, I wrote a cover letter to explain why I wanted the job and showed how my completely unrelated past jobs on my resume could translate to a pharmacy tech job. Be careful if/how you mention you're going to pharmacy school, though... they may not want to hire you if you're going to be leaving to go to school somewhere else in the fall because the training itself takes a few months.

7. lalaland33

Pre-Pharmacy
    You go to your state board of pharmacy website and they'll have instructions on how to get an intern tech certification :) Good luck!

manan982 likes this.