CW Post/Yeshiva School-Clinical/Rutgers School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervousapps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to add another thread, but the relevant threads comparing these schools seem to be from a few years ago.
So...I am struggling with my decision. I am grateful to have these choices, but fear that I will make the wrong choice. I would like to work with adolescents - which is how the School programs got in the mix. I would like to have a private practice one day. I loved Rutgers when I went there. The program, however, lacks the clinical portion of the program officially, but has the same # of clinical courses as Yeshiva. Yeshiva will be most convenient for me - and the program and the graduates with whom I've spoken seem very happy with the training. CW Post looks good, as well, although their match rate for internships is lower than Yeshiva.
Funding-wise, the costs will be relatively similar, when I factor in the cost of transportation, etc. I live in NYC.
Anyone out there familiar with any of these programs or considering the same choices?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Nervous Apps,

I understand your predicament. It is difficult to make decisions like these, especially when you are uncertain about which will better prepare you for the future goals you have set. I think are a number of considerations are worth taking a look at.

First, you mention cost being similar. Because you are an NY resident, the tuition at LIU and YU will likely be as low as possible for you. I would check to see if tuition rates decline if you attend RU and become a NJ resident. This might offset costs more than you think. Though, you may not be able/willing to move.

Second, because you want to go into clinical private practice, you have to consider how the programs can/will prepare you for this endeavor. Given that these are either school-clinical or school programs, private practice is probably not the goal they set for students. I would look at which program will offer the most opportunities for direct clinical work. Practicum for school psychology students are demanding and time consuming. It may be difficult to gain the clinical hours necessary to be competitive at internship time. As such, I would inquire as to how many of the students in these programs actually apply for clinical internships each year and what their match rate look like. For those that successfully match, did they need to study for a longer period of time in order to do so? How many hours did they have? Many may have needed an extra year to complete the school requirements and obtain the hours necessary for match. This should also factor into the cost component mentioned above. An extra year = $$$$$$

Third, I would consider the personal fit of each program. Which was most comfortable? Which is better for your quality of life? Do you have access to professors you would like to work with? What are the general demands of each (i.e., masters thesis, dissertation, comprehensive exams)? What is the average years to completion for each program?

Just some thoughts.

Yeshiva School-Clinical has about 90-100% APA/APPIC match rate for internships. Can't get much better than that. Since this program is APA accredited in both School AND Clinical, I think it yields the most options post-graduation.

CW Post is not a school program. Strictly clinical. Their match rate, however, is slightly lower, depending on the year. When I asked at an open house about their match rate, the response was "we're working on it, and we'd like it to be higher and we're looking into why it isn't"

I won't be moving out of NYC, so instate tutition at Rutgers doesn't apply. They did offer the most $ to me. Out of 20 or so in each cohort, only 1-2 a year go to APA/APPIC match rates, and those that do get APA internships, spend an extra year in classes - so any savings associated with going there is irrelevant b/c of the extra year of school. I just really liked the feeling of the school when I visited.

Thank you for your response. I think I already know what program makes the most sense, but after preparing for this moment for a few years, I just don't want to make the wrong choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also considering attending Rutgers school program next year, and am interested in working in a hospital/rehab facility the third year, and eventually doing an appic internship. I spoke to the director of the program last week, and she said that all the students there who have applied for appic internships were matched with their first choice. She also said that extra electives could be taken in the third year, so that you could still be eligible to finish the program in four years.

I don't know which part of the city your in, but I'd seriously consider the commute time as well. Remember your going to be heading out there almost every day. An excessive commute time is not only annoying, but it can be very limiting in how much you participate in non required activities at school.