• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

hevak14

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Based on your experience, realistically, how long would you expect a stat chest xray performed in the MICU and taken on an intubated patient to appear on the hospital's electronic radiology system from the time it was ordered to the time it was posted. Not including any radiologist comment.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status
Attending Physician
Based on your experience, realistically, how long would you expect a stat chest xray performed in the MICU and taken on an intubated patient to appear on the hospital's electronic radiology system from the time it was ordered to the time it was posted. Not including any radiologist comment.
priority one 10 min.

STAT 30 MIN

routine 1 hour

About the Ads

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Assuming no problems w/ the server, ours usually pop up in 5-20 minutes. Sometimes a little longer and if it's been an hour, either the tech got lost going to the "developer" (which is actually in the MICU at our univ hospital) or there's a server-side problem and you just have to call and have them reload it. It usually takes way longer for them to actually get there to do the film than it takes for it to get loaded in the system.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with lordjeebus,
almost a direct quote of what I was going to say.

LanceArmstrong

Level X Elite User
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
city hospital in NY
in MICU

time: anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours
number of calls to the radiology department before the tech is "on his way": 2-4
on the floor: forget it

incidentally in the ER the time would be some what less, especially if there are severeal xrays to be done at once.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
44 deg 1 min 11 sec N, 92 deg 28 min 55 sec W
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Stat pCXR in the MICU - with radiologist read, probably 10 minutes. Using the early viewer, maybe 5 tops.

Floor - with radiologist read, probably 30 minutes. Little to no difference between stat and and non-stat, and portable versus send the patient to radiology.

Our radiologist basically read as people are scanned/shot, so the time lag on seeing the image electronically and having the radiologist read is negligible. In fact, on my last month on the floor I don't think I ever saw a CXR come up electronically without a radiologist read.

About the Ads