Cytopathology Board Exam (2010)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytologica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to sit for my cytology board exam next year (Sep 2011).

Any advice or input from the exam takers for this year (2010)? How difficult was the exam and what material you think it might be useful?

Members don't see this ad.

I found the slide and written parts fair but the image part was difficult.

The book of Cibas is essential. Demay is fine but primitive. Some recommend Bibo.

A big deal of the questions is related to surgical pathology (go beyond the mere morphology of cytology).

It comes in the same level of difficulty of the AP Board (some Qs are easy, others are difficult or odd). According to the Board information posted to the web site, the pass rates of first time takers are 80-85%.

I plan to sit for my cytology board exam next year (Sep 2011).

Any advice or input from the exam takers for this year (2010)? How difficult was the exam and what material you think it might be useful?
Hello, I see that you took the cyto boards last year? I am taking them this year and I was wondering what advice/suggestions you have? The only thing I keep hearing is read Cibas but I don't think I can memorize a text book by September:) So I was wondering if you could offer any tips or what you did that you thought worked and what didn't? I have been out of fellowship for 2yrs and I don't see much cytology on a day to day basis so I am pretty nervous about the exam. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!:)