"D" after acceptance...am I in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw my grades, and I received a C and a D this semester. I am thoroughly worried, as I have already been accepted. I have had stellar grades since, but I am thoroughly worried that my acceptance could be revoked.
Many have suggested writing a letter, or calling schools to explain the situation, but I don't believe that the work I put into this class efforted in a D, as I feel my grade may have been calculated wrong. Once classes begin in a week and a half, I will be seeing my professor to discuss this grade. Again I am worried, and just wanted some feedback

Members don't see this ad.

I just saw my grades, and I received a C and a D this semester. I am thoroughly worried, as I have already been accepted. I have had stellar grades since, but I am thoroughly worried that my acceptance could be revoked.
Many have suggested writing a letter, or calling schools to explain the situation, but I don't believe that the work I put into this class efforted in a D, as I feel my grade may have been calculated wrong. Once classes begin in a week and a half, I will be seeing my professor to discuss this grade. Again I am worried, and just wanted some feedback

Call up the school and tell them the same thing. Also, ask them if you do have C and D then what are the consequences. Most of the schools just dont want you to fail the class if it is not a pre-req.

well you almost got into dental school!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would talk to the professor first before informing the schools, especially if you don't think the grade is correct

it happened to me once, i should have had an A, saw a C-, wrote the professor an email...it was a mistake when assigning grades, and got my A

Give hime/her a call and if you can't get a hold of the person make sure you go and discuss it with them...THEN once you know for sure you received a X grade then call the school

i think a C would be ok, but that D...idk maybe as long as it's not a pre-req...call the school after you find out

Schools certainly frown on "D", but "C" is ok once you already been accepted. Like others have said, call the school and ask. I think as long as the "D" is not a pre-req, then you'll be fine. Although I still would call the school and ask for advices just to be safe.

Thanks soo much for the feeback. Really appreciate it. The D was not in a prereq class although the class was a biol class. I will be following up with the schools to discuss this matter.

Thanks soo much for the feeback. Really appreciate it. The D was not in a prereq class although the class was a biol class. I will be following up with the schools to discuss this matter.
Good luck! It depends on the school. But I'm pretty sure most schools expect you to get a C or better.

Why do we see countless threads like this? People who get into D-school are smart, capable people, why are so many getting Cs and Ds right after acceptance?? Is it just a big relief and senioritis? I mean, comon, pull it out people

Why do we see countless threads like this? People who get into D-school are smart, capable people, why are so many getting Cs and Ds right after acceptance?? Is it just a big relief and senioritis? I mean, comon, pull it out people

Sometimes interviews can really mess up grades in classes. Especially ones with no make ups.

Sometimes interviews can really mess up grades in classes. Especially ones with no make ups.

teacher's give exam dates at the beginning of the course. If you know there are no make ups, you should schedule your interviews around exam dates. There is no excuse for missing an exam with no make ups if you were given the exam dates in September.

I actually found that interview traveling helped my grades this semester...with all that travel time, I had nothing better to do than whip out the textbook and study haha.

I agree. You have worked so hard to get in...why risk it by slacking off!? A B instead of an A I can understand...but a D! Do you realize how hard you have to slack off to go from getting grades that get you accepted into school to getting a near failing grade? I just don't understand it.

People usually leave their harder upper div classes for their senior year. Hard material + Smaller classes + Bell curve means pwnage for some people ^^.

Interviews come when they come......alot of schools only offer you one date. One school I applied to told me if I dont accept the date they offered...they would throw my application in the back of the stack as if it just came it.

So i do understand that interviews mess up your grades cause it made my semester very hectic having to rearrange test in the midst of working...and as we all know we get about 2 weeks notice before the interview and hope that we can work something out with teachers.

So i do see how it is possible. BUT at the same time..if you planned on applying to (lets say 15) schools..you should know better than to take upper division classes that semester cause you might have 15 interviews....so its a two way street. PLANNING IS EVERYTHING!!

To those about to apply in the '10 cycle....try to make the semesters you are interviewing as easy as possible....GOOD LUCK!!

And in my experience, most teachers of upper level classes understand that many of their students are applying to med/dental/pharm/opt/vet school and interviews are very important. It has to be the rare professor who would not understand and work something out. And if they are one, go over their head.

The U of MN says after you're accepted, you need Cs or better in all classes and Bs or better in "preferred elective courses" i.e. histology, pharmacology, cell biology, human anatomy...
2 As, a B+ and a B for me last semester

Every morning I wake up I find a new one of theses threads. Us predents are supposed to be top-notch students that are very intelligent....i'm sure we should know how to slack off yet still pass by now.

edit: Sorry if I sound insensitive, don't mean any harm by my message, just shocked at how many of these threads there are. However if you really did feel you put in the work I definitely would first talk to your Professor. I had two of my grades changed in undergrad not because I convinced them to but my TAs made errors in grading and one time totally forgot to grade my midterm.

Last edited:
Well, we can't all be dentists. Apply to some Med schools as back-up.

I keed, I keed.

well I'm sure all these D student's seats will go to deserving and responsible students.

I think you will be fine, let the school know. People in my class, at least a few of them, had these same problems. They called up and let them knew and everything was fine. You guys have lots of things going on and they know it. Im sure it will be fine.