D-day was awesome ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shinpe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First I'd like to thank SDN for all your guys' help and motivation. If it wasn't for SDN, I probably would have only read the Kaplan BB and not studied much before taking the test. SDN was def the number 1 tool/resource for me.

My test was yesterday, but went straight for some Sake bombing and so didn't get to SDN yesterday.

But here it is: (8/5)

Bio-26 (99.2)
GC-27 (99.3)
OC-23 (92.9)
QR-23 (96.2)
RC-21 (80.1):sleep:
TS-25 (99.6)
AA-24 (99.2)
PA-23 (98.7)

I don't have the results from my Kaplan BB with me right now, I'll post it later, but the sciences was low in that one (I think 17/18/18). That was about 3-4 weeks ago though. I pretty much started solidly studying 5-6 weeks ago. I've been doing research full-time, so studying was pretty much like 6,7pm-2 am. There was days in there that I spent on apps, more research, just taking breaks and going out. but mostly studying was going on.

CDP:
T4-22/T6-28/T7-25/T9-25

Kaplan BB CD:
Bio-19/GC-23/OC-19/TS-20/QR-30/RC-19/AA-22/PAT-26

TS1: (7/20)
Bio-20/GC-19/OC-19/TS-20/QR-24/RC-23/AA-21/PAT-26
TS2: (7/24)
Bio-22/GC-23/OC-20/TS-22/QR-22/RC-23/AA-22/PAT-25
TS3: (8/4)
Bio-21/GC-23/OC-23/PAT-23 (Didn't do the rest)

Achiever1: (7/31)
Bio-24/GC-21/OC-20/TS-22/QR-29/RC-21/AA-23/PAT-21
Achiever2: (8/1)
Bio-20/GC-20/OC-20/TS-20/QR-22/RC-22/AA-21/PAT-21
Achiever3: (8/2)
Bio-19/GC-19/OC-21/TS-20/PAT-21 (Didn't do rest)

Bio - I got lucky 'cause I just took a bio class and I had to read basically all animal form and function in Campbell's book, so that definitely helped alot, along with previous physio, mol bio and other classes. Those classes are absolutely not necessary in terms of the depth of the material you need to know, but once you have covered it in that detail, the basica stuff, which is what DAT asks become trivial. My problem from the beginning was that I have never had any class on evolution/eceology/taxonomy/plants and so that's where I usually mised my points. I used Kaplan's BB, AP cliff's (which I thought was much better) and complemented it with wikipedia and looking stuff up online. If you're reading Cliffs and there's a word u don't know or it's not clear, look it up online, don't just move on. Unless you're a bio major that know your stuff, there's no way that Kaplan's BB is enough. At most that's good enough for a review. I read through Kaplan's BB and felt like I was correcting it on multiple occasions. I also did destroyer 2.5 times, it doesn't explain the answers that well, but again, if there's something you don't understand in the answer, just look it up online or in other books. All in all, there was still multiple questions where I had NEVER seen before, but the questions give you hints, which is what u should be looking for.

GC-Last time I took it was 4 years ago, but I just had physical chemistry so that helped. I think Kaplan's BB is quite informative and sufficient if used along with destroyer. Not as hard as destroyer of course. Did destroyer 2 times.

OC-I took OC1/2 this year, so this stuff was pretty fresh in my head specially since I had good professors. But either way, Kaplan was decent (doesn't really get into the concepts which could get you) along with destroyer. Did destroyer 2 times. One thing destroyer didn't cover too well which is where I'm pretty sure I missed my points was the NMR/IR stuff.

QR- I have been tutoring math for like 4 years, so I actually didn't study for this section other than breezing through destroyer's math for 30-45 minutes. I basically double-checked my work for every single question and did not have a chance to do the last question. I was expecting higher to be honest, but I'm definitely not gonna complain, probably calculation mistakes that I always make lol. I think I will add DAT math/OC to my topics of tutoring (I'm in sunny diego ;p).

RC-From the beginning I knew this was my weak point. I'm a slow reader. I didn't practice for this other than the practice tests. I would read the first 6-7 questions and then start reading till I found the answers to those, read some more questions, and keep going like that. Very unorganized, I was almost scared I was gonna do worse.

PAT - I guess those counter-strike days paid off lol. Or maybe it was the 3D-modeling I have done with AutoCAD and stuff. But from the beginning, I was fine with this other than the angles. That's the section on CDP that killed me every time, but angles were more managable on the DAT. I didn't notice a big difference in difficulty in the other sections other the fact the keyhole shapes were trickier (not crazy shapes, but just tricky).

My O/S-GPA is 4.1/4.12 (4/4 w/o +/-). BS in Bioengineering 2009. Finishing up my MS in bioengineering too for 2010.

Here's the list of schools. I submitted my application kinda late (7/23) and it was mailed (7/31). When do you get I will start getting secondaries? Would they send secondaries just by looking at the fax or they will want the official report? I am going to be on vaccation sep 1-13 and am not too sure if that's gonna hurt the situation.

Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, NYU, USC, UOP.

Again, Thanks all you guys for your help. Wouldn't have been able to do it without SDN. Let me know if you have questions/comments/etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OMG...!!!
Congrats!!!!
I hope to do gooddd, mine is next thursday
Exactly next week @.@
You should go to Harvard ! :)

wow great scores!

Do you think that Kaplan BB explains IR/NMR sufficiently for the exam, being that you said that Destroyer did not?

OMG, what an amazing score!!

A question.

What passages did you get and what technique did you use for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats for the unbelievable scores

May I ask (sorry for asking this question) if you got the crocodile passage?

Congrats man you killed it. I think you'll get into every single school on your list ( crazy gpa and dat )! :D

The reading was Epidemology, spinal cord, and floating bridges. The last two passages had quite a few interference questions and stuff like that. I was quite scared that I was gonna do much worse but I guess it worked out.

Also, Kaplan's BB has all the charts for IR/NMR, but no questions, so I don't know. Maybe look into your OC book for some sample questions. I'm sure everyone's DAT versions are different, so don't just rely on my version.

wow dude a sincere congrats, if you don't get accepted everywhere you apply then I'll be damned, I'm just thankful you're not applying the majority of the schools that I am :p

you really want that version so bad? :laugh:
as bad as dental school... i should probably shut up and quit asking every single person whether they got crocodile, otherwise i'll be hexed by this community.:p

The reading was Epidemology, spinal cord, and floating bridges. The last two passages had quite a few interference questions and stuff like that. I was quite scared that I was gonna do much worse but I guess it worked out.

Also, Kaplan's BB has all the charts for IR/NMR, but no questions, so I don't know. Maybe look into your OC book for some sample questions. I'm sure everyone's DAT versions are different, so don't just rely on my version.

thanks! I don't want to sound like a mooch, but I was wondering if you got any/many Carbohydrate/Amino Acid/Protein problems on orgo?

Also, would you say that the Topscore questions for chem/orgo were indicative of the questions/topics on the real thing? easier/harder?

What about destroyer?

soryr, I'm kinda fraeknig out haha

What strategy did you use for RC? S&D? or Kaplan mapping?

as bad as dental school... i should probably shut up and quit asking every single person whether they got crocodile, otherwise i'll be hexed by this community.:p

Why would you want to get crocodile passage? Isn't it as hard as piano???

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I don't want to sound like a mooch, but I was wondering if you got any/many Carbohydrate/Amino Acid/Protein problems on orgo?

Also, would you say that the Topscore questions for chem/orgo were indicative of the questions/topics on the real thing? easier/harder?

What about destroyer?

soryr, I'm kinda fraeknig out haha

I don't remember anything specific for those. The questions I remember are the ones I marked and probably missed (mostly IR/NMR stuff as I mentioned). I think Kaplan's BB and doing destroyer 2-3 times should be sufficient. Just make sure you understand the easier reactions more conceptually than just memorizing them.

What strategy did you use for RC? S&D? or Kaplan mapping?

I explained how I did it in my breakdown but I'm probably not the model you want to follow for this. Just take sample tests and try different methods and see which rhythm works best for you. And try to not freak out if you are behind.

I got to floating bridge and had not heard good things about it, so I kinda freaked out cuz I had only 18 mins left. Mehhhh.....

Sweet scores! Counter-strike was definitely your key to success on this test. I should go play so I can improve my score :laugh:.

Good luck:luck:

Sweet scores! Counter-strike was definitely your key to success on this test. I should go play so I can improve my score :laugh:.

Good luck:luck:

Well that was like 4-5 years ago. It was most likely the AutoCADing and all those programs that needed 3D computer drawings. Def don't put CS as your priority. Lol

Well that was like 4-5 years ago. It was most likely the AutoCADing and all those programs that needed 3D computer drawings. Def don't put CS as your priority. Lol

Hey we should all CS when we're done with tests and applications. Who's down?! :laugh:

crazy scores! I'm sure UCLA (and any other school) won't care how many others you apply to with a dat/gpa like yours.

Congrats!

Thank to those of you who congratulated and complemented (and etc) me btw. Best of luck to you too ........