D in general chemistry. am i screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted585480

This was my first ever chemistry course. Didn't have it in high school and it moved very fast. Tried to play catch up at the end and it was to late. I'm sure I need to retake it. I'm a sophomore who is a psych major wanting to do pre med. I'm well aware of how horrible a D is.. Thing is i'm already far behind, do I need to retake general chem 1 in the spring? Or should I attempt to take it at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. In my opinion, I'd retake general chemistry at your university. In addition, getting a good grade in General Chemistry is formulaic (i.e. your grade is a function of your time studying). If you're not understanding concepts (i.e. gas theory, pressure, thermochemistry, etc.) you need to read more and if you struggle with calculations you need to practice. When I took General chemistry in high school, I learned to do calculations relevant to the problems at hand and then worked to understand theory.

When you take an exam neatly write out your work so you can easily find errors in logic. I've graded many general chemistry exams and usually students who rush and carry out sloppy calculations do poorly.

Good luck!

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. In my opinion, I'd retake general chemistry at your university. In addition, getting a good grade in General Chemistry is formulaic (i.e. your grade is a function of your time studying). If you're not understanding concepts (i.e. gas theory, pressure, thermochemistry, etc.) you need to read more and if you struggle with calculations you need to practice. When I took General chemistry in high school, I learned to do calculations relevant to the problems at hand and then worked to understand theory.

When you take an exam neatly write out your work so you can easily find errors in logic. I've graded many general chemistry exams and usually students who rush and carry out sloppy calculations do poorly.

Good luck!

Do you think it's best to retake it this coming spring? and then take gen chem 2 at a comm college over the summer in preparation for orgo at my university?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be hesitant to take gen chem 2 at a cc after getting a D in 1 cause it looks like you are taking the easy way out. If I were you I would take gen chem 1 again next semester and take gen chem 2 at the same time. But be prepared to work for your grades. Chemistry is a lot of reading and understanding concepts. Many people say it's unlike any other science in that it's just straight memorization and doesn't make sense. This is completely false, while I can't deny that there isn't memorization involved it's just as much about learning how and why interactions happen as they do and linking them together to form a big picture. If you don't take the time to really rack your brain on the basic principles, you won't have the foundation to do well in higher level chem classes like Oreo and Orgo II. Don't worry about chem 2 while retaking 1, they don't really rely on each other much. That's just me though.

Fair warning: I have always found chemistry to be on the easy side whether it's natural or because I applied the advice I just gave early on I do not know, but I like to think it's the latter.

I would be hesitant to take gen chem 2 at a cc after getting a D in 1 cause it looks like you are taking the easy way out. If I were you I would take gen chem 1 again next semester and take gen chem 2 at the same time. But be prepared to work for your grades. Chemistry is a lot of reading and understanding concepts. Many people say it's unlike any other science in that it's just straight memorization and doesn't make sense. This is completely false, while I can't deny that there isn't memorization involved it's just as much about learning how and why interactions happen as they do and linking them together to form a big picture. If you don't take the time to really rack your brain on the basic principles, you won't have the foundation to do well in higher level chem classes like Oreo and Orgo II. Don't worry about chem 2 while retaking 1, they don't really rely on each other much. That's just me though.

Fair warning: I have always found chemistry to be on the easy side whether it's natural or because I applied the advice I just gave early on I do not know, but I like to think it's the latter.

I think it would be unwise to take two chemistries at the same time. Especially when I did bad this past semester. I understand trying to play catch up, but I am already scheduled to take my second year of biology next semester. Do you have a different suggestion?

You should try to retake at your institution. Some institutions have "preparatory" chem courses that go over the material you would normally see in a high school chem course. If your institution offers that, you may want to check it out before you retake. In the Gen chem series that premeds take, many of those students have taken high school or AP chem beforehand, which gives them a bit of an edge. If your institution has this kind of a course, you could take it next spring, get the basics down, then retake next fall.

You should try to retake at your institution. Some institutions have "preparatory" chem courses that go over the material you would normally see in a high school chem course. If your institution offers that, you may want to check it out before you retake. In the Gen chem series that premeds take, many of those students have taken high school or AP chem beforehand, which gives them a bit of an edge.

I understand that, but I am in a bit of a time crunch as my scholarships only cover four years, and I decided on pursuing medical school as a sophomore and am just really now getting started on my science classes.

I think it would be unwise to take two chemistries at the same time. Especially when I did bad this past semester. I understand trying to play catch up, but I am already scheduled to take my second year of biology next semester. Do you have a different suggestion?
Yeah, to take your second year of biology in your second year. There is nothing ideal about your situation unfortunately so you are ultimately going to have to make a thought decision some way or another. It sounds like you are trying to take courses earlier than your school's plan says to which normally is fine but if you are struggling with chemistry it's ill advised and if you are in a position to have to retake that class it's advised even less so. In all honesty if you work hard the second time around you shouldn't find chem 1 to be all that difficult. The concepts are not too abstract and you already had exposure to them this semester so it should be fresh and you can easily see where you went wrong by studying your old tests. In theory it should be easier to retake chem 1 with chem 2 at the same time then to take two completely new classes i.e. Bio and chem 2 at the same time because you should be more familiar with the chem 1 stuff (at least to an extent if nothing else) where as bio is going to be brand new. It's your call and you know yourself better so don't take my advice (or anyone else's on here) as gospel, but that is what I would do. With that in mind, it would probably be prudent to go see your premed advisor and get some input from him/her and weigh your options at that point.

I understand that, but I am in a bit of a time crunch as my scholarships only cover four years, and I decided on pursuing medical school as a sophomore and am just really now getting started on my science classes.

Hmm. Well...if you got a D the first time around and didn't take HS chem, that suggests you may not have the foundation to do well in the course. Just FYI, not all med schools accept community college courses, so if you retake at a cc, it wouldn't count. If you absolutely have to retake next semester you may want to consider getting a tutor.

Yeah, to take your second year of biology in your second year. There is nothing ideal about your situation unfortunately so you are ultimately going to have to make a thought decision some way or another. It sounds like you are trying to take courses earlier than your school's plan says to which normally is fine but if you are struggling with chemistry it's ill advised and if you are in a position to have to retake that class it's advised even less so. In all honesty if you work hard the second time around you shouldn't find chem 1 to be all that difficult. The concepts are not too abstract and you already had exposure to them this semester so it should be fresh and you can easily see where you went wrong by studying your old tests. In theory it should be easier to retake chem 1 with chem 2 at the same time then to take two completely new classes i.e. Bio and chem 2 at the same time because you should be more familiar with the chem 1 stuff (at least to an extent if nothing else) where as bio is going to be brand new. It's your call and you know yourself better so don't take my advice (or anyone else's on here) as gospel, but that is what I would do. With that in mind, it would probably be prudent to go see your premed advisor and get some input from him/her and weigh your options at that point.

But.. all hope is not lost, correct?

Hmm. Well...if you got a D the first time around and didn't take HS chem, that suggests you may not have the foundation to do well in the course. Just FYI, not all med schools accept community college courses, so if you retake at a cc, it wouldn't count. If you absolutely have to retake next semester you may want to consider getting a tutor.

Would absolutely be willing to work with a tutor everyday as long as it doesn't interfere with other courses.

You could always take the two chem course and the bio at the same time but considering your struggles with chem not sure how that would play out unless you feel fairly confident about your bio skills. Either that or you have to pair your bio and Orgo together next year. If you don't want to do that then you can always push Orgo out to spring of next year and take Orgo 2 fall of senior and biochem spring of summer. I only say this instead of pushing Orgo out to 4th year completely because you are going to be taking the 2015 MCAT so I imagine you are going to need to have taken biochem before you do. Although if it's anything like Orgo on the MCAT currently then you can get by with out taking it and just teach it to yourself with a prep book or course. Don't rile out a gap year if it means you can get your schedule right. Gap years are actually favored by a lot of schools, and it may take off some of the stress to cram all these classes together, and it also gives you a year to step back and out of the college mentality which you don't realize you have/had till you graduate. I am currently in my gap year and never expected to take one, but now that I have I am happy I did because I think it really is going to help me come matriculation as I would be more rested and matured than my younger colleagues. Life is always going to be tough and I sympathize with your situation and the fact that you have tough decisions to make. But don't let yourself get overwhelmed and show your maturity by taking the time to think everything through logically and not let your emotions or arbitrary goal of going to medical school right after college steer your. Arrive at your own conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user
You could always take the two chem course and the bio at the same time but considering your struggles with chem not sure how that would play out unless you feel fairly confident about your bio skills. Either that or you have to pair your bio and Orgo together next year. If you don't want to do that then you can always push Orgo out to spring of next year and take Orgo 2 fall of senior and biochem spring of summer. I only say this instead of pushing Orgo out to 4th year completely because you are going to be taking the 2015 MCAT so I imagine you are going to need to have taken biochem before you do. Although if it's anything like Orgo on the MCAT currently then you can get by with out taking it and just teach it to yourself with a prep book or course. Don't rile out a gap year if it means you can get your schedule right. Gap years are actually favored by a lot of schools, and it may take off some of the stress to cram all these classes together, and it also gives you a year to step back and out of the college mentality which you don't realize you have/had till you graduate. I am currently in my gap year and never expected to take one, but now that I have I am happy I did because I think it really is going to help me come matriculation as I would be more rested and matured than my younger colleagues. Life is always going to be tough and I sympathize with your situation and the fact that you have tough decisions to make. But don't let yourself get overwhelmed and show your maturity by taking the time to think everything through logically and not let your emotions or arbitrary goal of going to medical school right after college steer your. Arrive at your own conclusion.

Really thankful for the thought put into this response. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, NO allopathic med schools will count the courses that you retake, you retake it simply for aesthetics and to show you could do it but it won't affect your GPA come application. DO has grade forgiveness and is a different story. Just figured I would temper your expectations regardless of your path.

Just to be clear, NO allopathic med schools will count the courses that you retake, you retake it simply for aesthetics and to show you could do it but it won't affect your GPA come application. DO has grade forgiveness and is a different story. Just figured I would temper your expectations regardless of your path.

Not really sure on DO vs MD. will have to do some research.

Sorry for so many word errors, auto correct loves to throw my sentences for a loop every so often.

I disagree, it is factored in to your GPA. Also, most medical schools need at least a C on the pre-reqs in order to matriculate so OP will need to retake it.

OP, as someone who got a D and an F (both science :eek:) and is currently accepted at 2 USMDs and 2 DO schools, you're fine. Just be prepared to work hard and come up with good reasons as to why it happened ;)

I disagree, it is factored in to your GPA. Also, most medical schools need at least a C on the pre-reqs in order to matriculate so OP will need to retake it.

OP, as someone who got a D and an F (both science :eek:) and is currently accepted at 2 USMDs and 2 DO schools, you're fine. Just be prepared to work hard and come up with good reasons as to why it happened ;)

Thanks man. What do you suggest as to when and where to retake the class?

Thanks man. What do you suggest as to when and where to retake the class?

I retook them in the same institution and got both A's, so I would suggest that. Also, come app time, make sure to apply broadly and if your GPA isn't to your liking, don't be afraid to take classes one more year or look into a Masters/SMP program.

USMD is definitely still within reach, just realize that top schools may be out of the running though.

I retook them in the same institution and got both A's, so I would suggest that. Also, come app time, make sure to apply broadly and if your GPA isn't to your liking, don't be afraid to take classes one more year or look into a Masters/SMP program.

USMD is definitely still within reach, just realize that top schools may be out of the running though.

Would you suggest retaking it starting in the spring while it's still fresh? And what about the idea of taking gen chem 1 and 2 in the same semester? I feel like that would be very difficult.

Would you suggest retaking it starting in the spring while it's still fresh? And what about the idea of taking gen chem 1 and 2 in the same semester? I feel like that would be very difficult.

Definitely. Also switch your major to Biology (or any other science related major) and presto! Your core classes are your pre-med classes so you won't be late. Also, the way I did it was retook Orgo 1 and then took Orgo 2 over the summer and I was back on track.

Medical schools don't really care what your major is. I have a friend who double majored with an absurd amount of minors and isn't getting much love on the interview trail. Granted, I don't know if theres anything in her record that may be holding her back, but I have read on here that it doesn't really impress anyone on admissions.

Unfortunately it's not really up for debate, you can disagree all you want but MD schools do not have any kind of grade replacement or forgiveness initiative. Being that you applied DO and they do have grade replacement you may be confused. Despite being sure of this I wanted to supply you with some evidence so here you go. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/grade-forgiveness.1035649/#post-14499511
The OP question in that thread doesn't apply to this situation but read the comments and see how it is reiterated time and again that no grade replacement programs of any kind exist for MD. It's hurtful to future applicants to mislead them because then come application time they find they are misinformed and did not set their expectations and plan accordingly. Of course MD is still within reach for the OP I never said anything to suggest otherwise, I simply was pointing out a caveat to someone else's response about cc credits not being accepted at some institutions and while perhaps true, it was worth noting the grade is more to show that you has it in you to excel in that class and not to boost your GPA.

Unfortunately it's not really up for debate, you can disagree all you want but MD schools do not have any kind of grade replacement or forgiveness initiative. Being that you applied DO and they do have grade replacement you may be confused. Despite being sure of this I wanted to supply you with some evidence so here you go. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/grade-forgiveness.1035649/#post-14499511
The OP question in that thread doesn't apply to this situation but read the comments and see how it is reiterated time and again that no grade replacement programs of any kind exist for MD. It's hurtful to future applicants to mislead them because then come application time they find they are misinformed and did not set their expectations and plan accordingly. Of course MD is still within reach for the OP I never said anything to suggest otherwise, I simply was pointing out a caveat to someone else's response about cc credits not being accepted at some institutions and while perhaps true, it was worth noting the grade is more to show that you has it in you to excel in that class and not to boost your GPA.

I never said replace, but my retakes were factored into my overall GPA and science GPA in AMCAS.

No misinformation, the bad grade is there and will always be averaged in with your GPA, but your retake will as well. DO has grade replacement so the overall GPA will go much higher, but your grade still shows up on the AACOMAs report.

Definitely. Also switch your major to Biology (or any other science related major) and presto! Your core classes are your pre-med classes so you won't be late. Also, the way I did it was retook Orgo 1 and then took Orgo 2 over the summer and I was back on track.

Medical schools don't really care what your major is. I have a friend who double majored with an absurd amount of minors and isn't getting much love on the interview trail. Granted, I don't know if theres anything in her record that may be holding her back, but I have read on here that it doesn't really impress anyone on admissions.
Did you take orgo 2 at your university or no? I imagine you did because typically you're college won't give you a Chem minor if you take it elsewhere. Being that OP is on scholarship it sounds like he is not in a position to pay for summer classes out of pocket and scholarships typically don't cover summer classes. Good suggestion about switching majors though, I figured OP had already done that but maybe not.

I would have to take more calc classes i believe to be a biology major. as I have just taken beginning calc. psych is something I'm really interested in and kind of want to keep that as my major.

I never said replace, but my retakes were factored into my overall GPA and science GPA in AMCAS.

No misinformation, the bad grade is there and will always be averaged in with your GPA, but your retake will as well. DO has grade replacement so the overall GPA will go much higher, but your grade still shows up on the AACOMAs report.
Fair enough, I thought you were trying to say that they did do grade replacement. It is true that they are averaged out. It will show up as 3 credits chem1 at a D and 3 credits of chem 1 at an A in your calculated gpa. Just wanted to be clear as you and I may know this but perhaps not completely clear to the OP

I took out a loan and I worked throughout college and have no regrets since I know I can pay it in the future.

OP, not sure how it is for your college, but I only needed Calc 1 and one other math (stats, calc 2 etc).

And besides taking it in the summer theres no other way. Taking both Gen Chem 1 and 2 at the same time is daunting, but sounds like you're set in stone with it. My advice is to go for a science major that will allow you to take more science classes, boost up that science GPA and finish on time. Taking Psych won't give you those benefits, but it is your decision.

I would have to take more calc classes i believe to be a biology major. as I have just taken beginning calc. psych is something I'm really interested in and kind of want to keep that as my major.
Dark label recommended this to you likely because after you get done taking all the pre reqs to get you into most medical schools you will only be a handful of credits short of a bio major. But do whatever works best for you, it may be prudent to map out your next 2 1/2 yrs of courses and ensure you can fufill all the requirements of the premed track and the psych major. Hopefully you got a lot of the psych requisites finished in your first year and this past semester so it's not too brutal.

OP, not sure how it is for your college, but I only needed Calc 1 and one other math (stats, calc 2 etc).
I'm sure it varies but at my uni they required up to calc 2 and stats as well if you wanted your B.S. in Bio. Only up to Calc I if you went for your B.A.

I took out a loan and I worked throughout college and have no regrets since I know I can pay it in the future.

And besides taking it in the summer theres no other way. Taking both Gen Chem 1 and 2 at the same time is daunting, but sounds like you're set in stone with it. My advice is to go for a science major that will allow you to take more science classes, boost up that science GPA and finish on time. Taking Psych won't give you those benefits, but it is your decision.

Honestly.. I am going to really consider switching to a biology major. I've only taken two psychology courses. So it's not like i'm really invested in it at this time.

Would absolutely be willing to work with a tutor everyday as long as it doesn't interfere with other courses.

Hope it works out. Frankly I don't see any other way, given the time constraint you're under, you can do well. Keep in mind, when you retake a course, adcoms are going to want to see you get an A.

OP,

I received a C- in the first quarter of Chemistry, I retook it later and did fine (and received A's for the other two quarters for the 3 quarter year). Just about everyone will have some rough patch on their transcripts, in the end one class isn't going to destroy your chances. As one member already correctly asserted, USMD schools average the grades together. I was admitted into four USMD programs so far, five interviews four acceptances (waiting on another decision next month, hopefully 5 for 5)I didn't apply to any DO programs.

Just retake it, get a tutor it's already included in your student fees most likely (I was a tutor so I know it's common), study NOW since you know what you need to know. A good tutor will help you know what you should focus on, and keep your nose to the grinding stone. Keep your grades up and avoid panic/burn out!

Good luck!

It's hurtful to future applicants to mislead them because then come application time they find they are misinformed and did not set their expectations and plan accordingly.
It's hilarious that you say this when you said:
Just to be clear, NO allopathic med schools will count the courses that you retake, you retake it simply for aesthetics and to show you could do it but it won't affect your GPA come application.
That is so completely false and misleading it's funny. I realize you and darklabel have ironed out what you meant, but your wording was terrible.

As a bottom line for everyone else reading, all grades received in any course ever will be counted when calculating your AMCAS GPA.

Everything is counted but retake it please. It's not like me and my math course I got a C in. You need that course for the MCAT, and two, Chem II is way harder then I semester. Since most schools and even most undergrad programs like my biology don't allow a D without retake, I would do that and show an upward trend. You're not the first to get a D.

You're gonna want to retake that course for a lot of reasons

You need to get a C or better for a pre-req. Also amcas will count all the grades you get in college to calculate your GPA and sGPA. Study hard and GL.

It's hilarious that you say this when you said:

That is so completely false and misleading it's funny. I realize you and darklabel have ironed out what you meant, but your wording was terrible.

As a bottom line for everyone else reading, all grades received in any course ever will be counted when calculating your AMCAS GPA.
I agree. But it was late and I was sitting in bed perusing quickly before I called it a night. Not my best I'll admit.

Ooh nice, what is a good reason though. I mean in OP's case....you can't say it's because it's your first time learning the subject.