D.O. and Allo Recidencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible... or is it likley that a person graduating from a D.O. school can get a recidency in Anesthesiology at an allo program? Is there any advantage from going D.O. if I have an interest in Anesthesiology? If I wanted to go to an allo program would it be better to go to an MD school?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible... or is it likley that a person graduating from a D.O. school can get a recidency in Anesthesiology at an allo program? Is there any advantage from going D.O. if I have an interest in Anesthesiology? If I wanted to go to an allo program would it be better to go to an MD school?
Thanks

It is possible for a DO to get allopathic Anesthesiology residency. My question to you is why are you worried about this now? You are a sophmore in high school. You still have six more years to go before you have to make that choice.

It is possible for a DO to get allopathic Anesthesiology residency. My question to you is why are you worried about this now? You are a sophmore in high school. You still have six more yours to go before you have to make that choice.
I am not worried about it, I was just curious, and wanted to know the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn. A sophomore in high school? I'd be a lot more worried about trying to land some poontang than worrying about residencies. Sheesh-louise!

Q

Damn. A sophomore in high school? I'd be a lot more worried about trying to land some poontang than worrying about residencies. Sheesh-louise!

Q

Those airplanes with the big floaty things are cool!

Last year's match @ the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine had 3 graduates matched at an anethesia program @ Loyola Medical school which is allo...so its possible...because that's where I want to go

Last year's match @ the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine had 3 graduates matched at an anethesia program @ Loyola Medical school which is allo...so its possible...because that's where I want to go

I believe DMU had a Univesity of Chicago match for anethesia last year as well...it's definitely possible

11 from PCOM last year, including 5 at Jefferson and one each at Univ. of Maryland, Temple, Einstein in NY, UMDNJ-rwj....and a few DO programs as well.....so yes....its doable...

11 from PCOM last year, including 5 at Jefferson and one each at Univ. of Maryland, Temple, Einstein in NY, UMDNJ-rwj....and a few DO programs as well.....so yes....its doable...

nice

I did it. So did 8 or 9 of my classmates.

If you want to go into an allo residency then it is better to go to an allo school. However no matter where you go, your BOARD SCORES will weed you out of the mix.

If you wish to go into subspecialty surgery:Go allo.

Gen surg at a large academic center is DIFFICULT for a DO to land unless he/she:hungover:oes an audition there or at another large academic center and KICKS TAIL. Community allo surgery is not nearly as difficult.

Radiology: I dunno. I'm sure its easier if you go to an allo school but I'm not sure if DO's are dismissed just because they went allo. Again, I recommend doing an away rotation somewhere fairly well recognized, or in your area of desire, and DO WELL.

See a theme here? Its mainly up to the individual. However I really recommend allo if you have ANY THOUGHT of entertaining subspecialty surgery.

I did it. So did 8 or 9 of my classmates.

If you want to go into an allo residency then it is better to go to an allo school. However no matter where you go, your BOARD SCORES will weed you out of the mix.

If you wish to go into subspecialty surgery:Go allo.

Gen surg at a large academic center is DIFFICULT for a DO to land unless he/she:hungover:oes an audition there or at another large academic center and KICKS TAIL. Community allo surgery is not nearly as difficult.

Radiology: I dunno. I'm sure its easier if you go to an allo school but I'm not sure if DO's are dismissed just because they went allo. Again, I recommend doing an away rotation somewhere fairly well recognized, or in your area of desire, and DO WELL.

See a theme here? Its mainly up to the individual. However I really recommend allo if you have ANY THOUGHT of entertaining subspecialty surgery.

Is orthopaedic surgery part of subspecialty surgery or is that different?...I was told that Orthopaedic surgery was not as difficult for DO's.

How about cardiology, IR radiology, gastroenterology, or urology?

I was told that orthopedics is difficult...unless you want to go to Michigan where there are solely DO orthopedic residencies

How about cardiology, IR radiology, gastroenterology, or urology?

I was told that orthopedics is difficult...unless you want to go to Michigan where there are solely DO orthopedic residencies

who told you this...lol...in my previous post I was told otherwise:laugh:...well one of us is right

who told you this...lol...in my previous post I was told otherwise:laugh:...well one of us is right

well...having worked in multiple hospitals in LA, I ran into a MS-IV AZCOM student who matched at that program in michigan...he said that was the only one he had a chance to get in

so far, I've met DO's in nephrology, neurology, radiology, pathology, FP, IM, anesthesiology...haven't met any surgical ones though

well...i get things wrong from time to time...maybe i'm wrong on this too

well...having worked in multiple hospitals in LA, I ran into a MS-IV AZCOM student who matched at that program in michigan...he said that was the only one he had a chance to get in

so far, I've met DO's in nephrology, neurology, radiology, pathology, FP, IM, anesthesiology...haven't met any surgical ones though

well...i get things wrong from time to time...maybe i'm wrong on this too

Well...i was looking at the matchlist from DMU from 2006 and they had 3 match into orthapaedic and like 4 others into general surgery...so it is definitely possible even if it is that diffucult.

Well...i was looking at the matchlist from DMU from 2006 and they had 3 match into orthapaedic and like 4 others into general surgery...so it is definitely possible even if it is that diffucult.

last year's CCOM match list had 2-3 gen surg and no ortho in allo programs...why not diagnostic radiology? The 2006 physician compensation list by AMGA shows the national average salary for a general orthopedist and diagnositic radiologist is the same ($400,000) :eek: But you're right to want things you love and not based on our tax bracket...i want general surgery, but anestheia also interests me...so i'll be in the OR either way

last year's CCOM match list had 2-3 gen surg and no ortho in allo programs...why not diagnostic radiology? The 2006 physician compensation list by AMGA shows the national average salary for a general orthopedist and diagnositic radiologist is the same ($400,000) :eek: But you're right to want things you love and not based on our tax bracket...i want general surgery, but anestheia also interests me...so i'll be in the OR either way

Good way to look at it:thumbup: