D.O. Anesthesia programs...any info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed-the-king

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to Anesthesia programs and wondering if anyone has any info/reviews for any of the D.O. programs (yes, I'm a DO applicant) as there isn't much info on scutwork. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping someone would answer you that knows more than me...but since no one did I will share what little I know. I have been told by fellow students that it is easier to get an MD residency than a DO one just because of the sheer numbers. There are so few DO res. anes programs that they are competitive. Many MD ones are also competitive, but if you have okay stats, apply widely, do a lot of interviews you should be able to fit in somewhere. hope that helps. that is the basics of what i know but pm me if you want more info in detail

I agree with the above. Additionally, the size of the programs is a big difference as well. I think the largest DO program I ran across was 4 residents/year. Most were two. I guess this could be a pro or con, depending on your preference. Smaller programs at smaller hospitals was my general impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my research as a recent applicant in the match, and as a D.O., I would recommend what I was told by many people.

Try to match MD.

Volume, trauma, sick patients aside; your credentials as an ACGME trained resident will help you get credentialed at ANY hospital. Most DO trained anesthesiologists tell me that they knew going in that they will be restricted to small hospitals, usually in close proximity to their original training program. If this does not bother you at all, then full steam ahead.

I personally wanted universal credentials, wanted to be able to work anywhere. Also, once you train with MDs it confirms inside your own mind that you have been exposed and trained at the same level without any doubt.

Acceptance into the DO programs is weird too. I remember calling these programs, who each had separate applications and completely different application deadlines, and invariably it seemed like these spots were actually already fillled WAY in advance. Typical DO post grad training issues where if you went to school there, and they liked you, they might just offer spots out the match to their own grads. The MD application process seemed a lot more fair to be honest. How ironic.

If you are worried about AOA intern year acceptance, many programs especially in the state where an AOA intern year is required, they will customize your intern year to comply, and wa-lah! you are AOA approved, or dual-accredited, for whatever that is worth. Otherwise, you can apply retrospectively for AOA accredidation (sp?) if you so desire, and I have heard it is no big deal.

Hope this helps

So lets say that I matched a categorical program in PA. An AOA intern year is required there to practice. Do I just ask at interview in PA wether or not they can taylor my CBY to meet AOA requirements, or do I try to do so after the fact? I would really love to avoid having to do an AOA year. Categoricals rule!

I had the same concern about osteo vrs allopathic gas residency. The basic problem is that the osteopathic gas boards are not well understood, and you may have problems with joining a private group. Laws require the boards be be accepted, but you may not get a fair shake in private groups. If you want to stay true to your osteopathic roots, I suggest you do an intern year at a AOA site and a residency in an allopathic site. You get the best of both worlds.

Most DO trained anesthesiologists tell me that they knew going in that they will be restricted to small hospitals, usually in close proximity to their original training program.

True 'dis?

I am currently in my CA-1 year at one of the small DO programs in Michigan. You are correct in that they are fairly competitive since there are so few spots overall. Also, it is very important to do audition rotations in that program you wish to attend. In my program, it is just impossible to get in if you didnt spend some time with us. We have 2 residents per year and we average between 900-1000 cases per year. My linked intership year included 3 months of anesthesia and 1 month of pain managment. So, starting day 1 of CA-1, we had our own room. Past graduates from my program have gone to smaller community hospitals as well as several going to larger institutions, one recent grad joined a harvard trained group doing primarily hearts in florida. I feel I am getting a great education and from what I can see, my choices will not be extremly limited in the future .

We have residents from the Southe Pointe Hospital/Cleveland Clinic Osteopathic Anesthesiology program rotate through our campus at the ACGME Cleveland Clinic anesthesiology residency program. They complete rotations in SICU and Cardiac with us. Much of what I know is from talking with these residents.

Overall their program sounds pretty cushy, there is no overnight in-house call. They do not do a lot of big cases from the sound of things. One resident I had worked with was a CA3 and had only placed a handful of arterial lines and 1 or 2 central lines. This is in sharp contrast to my program where almost all patients are ASA3 or ASA4 patients. The graduates from this program typically take jobs with smaller community hospitals or smaller groups but I am sure they make a nice living.

I work with a DO who did an osteopathic residency. Ten years later he did an allopathic residency. For much of the same reasons as the previous poster stated -- not enough experience, not enough training. He was in a small program doing mostly asa 1 & 2 patients. He realized he needed a better education to be a better physician. He very strongly recommends against DO residency.

I work with a DO who did an osteopathic residency. Ten years later he did an allopathic residency. For much of the same reasons as the previous poster stated -- not enough experience, not enough training. He was in a small program doing mostly asa 1 & 2 patients. He realized he needed a better education to be a better physician. He very strongly recommends against DO residency.

Unbelievable...I cannot IMAGINE feeling so deficient that I would feel compelled to start another residency LET ALONE the same specialty.

I think the bottom line is 'What exactly do you want" in your career. Maybe these smaller programs are more suited for those who interested in small town, and bread and butter cases. disclaimer, **no offense meant**. Btw these guys I hear still make plenty of greenbacks (eg 200-350K) here in Oklahoma.