D.O. Letters of Recommendation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambitiousMED

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying to D.O. schools this summer and I have a recommendation letter from a D.O. from 2014. Do you guys recommend shadowing another doctor and obtaining a recent letter or would it be okay to apply with the one from 2014? Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could ask the doctor to resubmit the exact letter with an updated date.

Most physician letters are going to be relatively generic so I doubt the contents would be much different now versus years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe you could ask the doctor to resubmit the exact letter with an updated date.

Most physician letters are going to be relatively generic so I doubt the contents would be much different now versus years ago.

I emailed the doctor but didn't receive a response. Do you happen to know if it is okay to request an LOR from a medical student in her residency? They are technically students but officially they are considered doctors. Right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the doctor but didn't receive a response. Do you happen to know if it is okay to request an LOR from a medical student in her residency? They are technically students but officially they are considered doctors. Right?

You're either a medical student or a resident. Can't be both. Students are not doctors but residents are.

Hi, I am applying to D.O. schools this summer and I have a recommendation letter from a D.O. from 2014. Do you guys recommend shadowing another doctor and obtaining a recent letter or would it be okay to apply with the one from 2014? Please let me know.
I really don't think it would be that big of a deal to have a letter from 2014. Having a DO letter does nothing but help your application, and not including it because of its date, imo, would be silly. I wouldn't get an LOR from a medical student/resident. Instead, I would concur with what the above poster stated by just asking the attending to update the date on the letter. If he/she doesn't respond then I would go ahead and use the one from 2014. How is it that you have access to this letter though? Usually letters are sent directly to aacomas or to your school by the evaluator.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't think it would be that big of a deal to have a letter from 2014. Having a DO letter does nothing but help your application, and not including it because of its date, imo, would be silly. I wouldn't get an LOR from a medical student/resident. Instead, I would concur with what the above poster stated by just asking the attending to update the date on the letter. If he/she doesn't respond then I would go ahead and use the one from 2014. How is it that you have access to this letter though? Usually letters are sent directly to aacomas or to your school by the evaluator.

It was sent to Interfolio! Good thinking on my part, I still have it from 2014! I just had to pay the membership fee again.

Reactions: 1 users
You're either a medical student or a resident. Can't be both. Students are not doctors but residents are.
The person is a resident - already graduated from Medical School.