D.O./Ph.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgerwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read and hear differing opinions on this, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure exactly which schools offered a D.O/Ph.d.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

rgerwin said:
I've read and hear differing opinions on this, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure exactly which schools offered a D.O/Ph.d.?

Thanks!

UNECOM offers the D.O./Ph.D program..

DrKeys said:

PCOM offers a D.O./Ph.D, but I think its only in like Public Health or something like that. You can check it out on their website. I wish there was one that had a D.O./Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering since I have an undergrad. in that. Oh well...

Members don't see this ad :)
OUCOM and MSUCOM

I seriously considered this route, but the more I looked into it the more it seemed that the PhD, although helpful, is not a requirement to pursue research after graduating. I also would want to do a PhD in Chemical or Biomedical Engineering and this wouldn't be an option in most combined programs.

If you express interest in a PhD the schools will heavily recruit you for their programs.

hoberto said:
OUCOM and MSUCOM

I seriously considered this route, but the more I looked into it the more it seemed that the PhD, although helpful, is not a requirement to pursue research after graduating. I also would want to do a PhD in Chemical or Biomedical Engineering and this wouldn't be an option in most combined programs.

If you express interest in a PhD the schools will heavily recruit you for their programs.

I got my undergrad. degree in biomedical engineering. I loved it even though I always knew I wanted to be a clinician as opposed to a research physician. And then I met Dr. Vo, one of my favorite professors. He got his undergrad from UF in biomedical engineering then persued his PhD while attending UM school of medicine. As an orthopedic surgeon, he takes a revolutionary approach to patient care...he uses the solids modeling software ANSYS to import CT scans of individual patient joints. With the 3-D models he generates he can customize implants based on the exact stress/strain characteristics of the individual bone and joint. His Ph.D thesis involved this type of research. Unfortunately, his approach is very time consuming because it is so individualized. He currently holds a patent for a total ankle replacement based on his research. He's a neat guy who brings a different perspective to having an MD and PhD.

I wish that I could find not only a DO program with a dual MD/PhD in biomedical engineering, but more MD programs that offered such a track. There are relatively few. I know of Duke, Emory, and am not sure of others.

UNTHSC - TCOM has a DO/Ph.D program as well.

Tcom200901

GAdoc said:
I wish that I could find not only a DO program with a dual MD/PhD in biomedical engineering, but more MD programs that offered such a track. There are relatively few. I know of Duke, Emory, and am not sure of others.

There's quite a few MD/PhD programs w/ BME-- off the top of my head, Baylor/Rice, UTMB/UT-Austin, WashU, Vanderbilt, UIC, Pitt, Case Western..basically any med school that's associated with an undergrad that has BME.

DrKeys said:

I couldn't find anything on their website; I guess it must be new

UNECOM's DO/PhD program is with UMaine and will provide stipend and tuition payed for PhD portion of the program. On top of that, you will get tuition payed for MS3 and MS4. One still has to pay MS1 and MS2.

As of now you apply for this program once you have started your DO degree. First year or right after. Then they will see if there is place and if you qualify. That is why there is no website about this yet. It is still in its planning stages so bugs are being worked out.

BTW,

The best DO/PhD programs I have seen are (in no specific order of ranking):

UMichigan
UNTHSC
UNDMJ
OSUCOM

BTW... anyone can do a PhD program, with any university.

You can take 3-5 years off after basic science and go to Yale or Baylor or whatever and do PhD program, then come back to finish clinical. If well planned.. I am sure you can negotiate with your DO school. If they are not flexible at all.. then its the wrong school for you.

OR MY PREFERENCE... do a PhD or a Fellowship after you are done your DO degree.