D.O. Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Traumaturtle

Future Trauma Surgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked into a lot of programs both D.O. and M.D. I had a really quick question that popped into my head and haven't had time to research, but I figured if I could get any sort of solid answer, it would be from you guys.

I want to be a doctor but with my grades, a D.O. might be more forgiving. My final goal is to be a Trauma Surgeon. I know there are progressions of residency, so when I apply can I apply to any Surgery residency or does it have to be a special D.O. surgery residency? Are there distinctions involved? If so, is it unheard of to have a D.O. in a M.D. program? Are there some programs that are more open then others?

Thank guys. I always get solid answers from around here and I’m very appreciative!

~Traumaturtle~

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to any residency. Trauma surgery is typically a general surgery residency, and then, depending on where you want to practice, they may want you to do a 1-2 year fellowship in trauma/critical care.

There are plenty of DO trauma surgeons.

To the OP:

Try searching the forums for your answers. Your questions have been discussed ad nauseum on these boards.

If you get into medical school, get through, and still want to do trauma surgery, you'll definitely want to do a general surgery residency at a trauma center. That way you'll get plenty of trauma practice before starting a trauma fellowship. If you end up going the DO route, there are only a few osteopathic gen. surgery residencies that would afford you plenty of trauma experience, professional contacts, etc. Because of this, you may want to consider going the allopathic route for residency. Again, there are a few DO GS residencies at trauma centers, but most are at community hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I decide to go that route, I'm thinking a GS residency at Emory or somewhere like it (i.e., big trauma center like Grady), and then fellowship at a place like Maryland Shock Trauma.

Obviously its a ways away, but it can't hurt to do some research.

PCOMs General Surgery program does trauma at 3 clinical sites. Crozer Burn, Cooper (busiest trauma center in New Jersey) and University of Pennsylvania (busiest trauma center in Philadelphia).

One of the chief Trauma/Critical Care Surgery Fellows at PENN right now is a recent PCOM GS grad.

PCOMs General Surgery program does trauma at 3 clinical sites. Crozer Burn, Cooper (busiest trauma center in New Jersey) and University of Pennsylvania (busiest trauma center in Philadelphia).

One of the chief Trauma/Critical Care Surgery Fellows at PENN right now is a recent PCOM GS grad.
I was wondering who that guy was, heh. And if its a female, then I have my people mixed up.

If I decide to go that route, I'm thinking a GS residency at Emory or somewhere like it (i.e., big trauma center like Grady), and then fellowship at a place like Maryland Shock Trauma.

Obviously its a ways away, but it can't hurt to do some research.
My friend is related to Cowley. Pretty damn cool. Not a distant relation either. Just a few generations of Cowley's in between.

I've looked into a lot of programs both D.O. and M.D. I had a really quick question that popped into my head and haven't had time to research, but I figured if I could get any sort of solid answer, it would be from you guys.

I want to be a doctor but with my grades, a D.O. might be more forgiving. My final goal is to be a Trauma Surgeon. I know there are progressions of residency, so when I apply can I apply to any Surgery residency or does it have to be a special D.O. surgery residency? Are there distinctions involved? If so, is it unheard of to have a D.O. in a M.D. program? Are there some programs that are more open then others?

Thank guys. I always get solid answers from around here and I’m very appreciative!

~Traumaturtle~

You can enter a DO or an MD surgery residency.