D.O.'s and Plastic Surgery??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowerman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any info. out there on D.O.'s going into plastic surgery, both reconstructive and cosmetic?? Is it a possibility for the D.O.???

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there are 52 DOs who are plastic surgeons in the entire country. I think there are 2 currently in plastics residencies. That's out of the 40K plus practicing DOs. So statistically its very small. I used to have a list of the # of DOs in each specialty but I lost it. Does anybody know whether this list is on the web?

Hi there..I am applying to medical school this year..and am shadowing an ENT. Well, his resident is beginning his plastics fellowship next year. He explained to me that there are 3 ways to go into plastic surgery..ENT - because of the facial traumas and stuff like that...SURGERY - self explanatory...and I can't remember the other one. Anyway hope this helps to point you in a direction. However, if I understood correctly, you have to do the entire residency under an ENT, surgeon..whatever..and THEN you begin your "formal" plastic surgery training. Again, I am not sure on all of this..just wanting to help you with your search. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a family friend thats a DO plastic surgeon...forgot his name though. So its possible, albiet very hard.

mig

It is possible, your chances are better through the AOA from what I've heard. There are about 12 spots for plastic surgery, and there are plenty more for ENT/plastic surgery. Check out this site.
<a href="http://opportunities.aoa-net.org/residencies/residency.htm">Residencies</a>

You will find that although 12 spots, only about 3 are funded. PCOM has an ENT/plastic surgery rotation with 8 funded spots and as of last Monday, 4/10 none have been filled. Hope this helps you out, about where to apply.

Good luck

young guy np

Originally posted by rowerman:
Any info. out there on D.O.'s going into plastic surgery, both reconstructive and cosmetic?? Is it a possibility for the D.O.???

I heard it is a possibility only if you like the Brady Bunch. Tiki's Rule!