D.O. schools that screen pre-secondary.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what schools screen pre-secondary? Is there a list on here of schools that do this? I haven't found one.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if there is a list but you can go onto the individual schools website. Most have a "admission requirements" tab. In addition to the required coursework, letter, etc., some post minimum GPA and MCATs.

Also, some schools will probably not publish how they pre-screen.

Sorry that really doesn't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, as altered scale stated, Touro-CA, Touro-NY etc do pre-screen quite heavily.

What do these schools pre screen at
I would say 'fit' and stats for all of them... 3.2 and 24 (at least 7 in every section) MCAT, you probably pass the first screening and they will see if you fit their mission...

I would say 'fit' and stats for all of them... 3.2 and 24 (at least 7 in every section) MCAT, you probably pass the first screening and they will see if you fit their mission...

IDK if VCOM does really do a hard pre-screen. They have a lot of students w/ low MCAT scores. But they might do what you mentioned to see if they are a fit for the program

Last edited:
All of the schools who have hard GPA or MCAT cutoffs on their websites. It doesn't take much time to sift through and identify all of them.

For what it's worth, I know that UNE and Marian have pre-secondary screens.

There are many schools that don't post their pre-screen stats, but its safe to say that virtually every DO school pre-screens secondaries, with the exception of the ones that post their secondaries online and ask you to complete them once you submit your primary (e.g. LMU, UMDNJ, etc.).

This is in stark contrast to the majority of MD schools that do not pre-screen secondaries.

What exactly does heavy screen mean? 3.2 and 24 is a pretty light screen imo...any clue what touro or other "hesvy" screeners" do?

I don't think the 7 in every section is part of the screen unless it only counts for the sciences, I got a 6 in VR and passed all the screenings so far.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
No way lucom pre screens at 24. There median is 24.

Took KCUMB 3 extra weeks to give me a secondary, but after I submitted it, 2 days for an interview.

Took KCUMB 3 extra weeks to give me a secondary, but after I submitted it, 2 days for an interview.

Yeah KCUMB doesn't screen. Got an interview there with short turnaround time. But they are also low to mid tier and they interview ALOT of people.

Yeah KCUMB doesn't screen. Got an interview there with short turnaround time. But they are also low to mid tier and they interview ALOT of people.

KCUMB does screen (3.25 GPA for both science and cumulative) and they don't really interview a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Every school screens pre-secondary to some degree. It is simply the degree of screening that makes them different.

Reactions: 1 user
If you read the pdf on accomas, with the school stats each school says under the "secondary" whether they screen or if they send it out to everybody. Although the levels of screening are definitely different between schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are mistaken sir.

Reactions: 1 users
Every school screens pre-secondary to some degree. It is simply the degree of screening that makes them different.

This. I said this already. Just because people got secondaries doesn't mean they didn't screen, it just means they had stats above the minimum screen requirements.

I know for a fact that virtually all screened, because when I applied, I was told by most schools what their screens were (or that I didn't make their screens - I only looked at the GPA screens, because the MCAT screens didn't matter to me). These were places that had nothing on their websites about screens.

I think you are mistaken sir.

KCUMB has a screen of 3.25/3.25/20-something (I don't remember right now). You have to fulfill 2 out of the three requirements to get a secondary. When I applied 2 yrs ago, I didn't make the GPA cutoffs for the secondary despite being multiple standard deviations above their average MCAT, and I know they still had that policy last year.

It's possible things changed this year, but I haven't heard that from anyone, so that would be a surprise if that's the case.

Also, whoever said KCUMB is a low tier school must be a bit confused. It's at least stably in the mid-tier. It's average MCAT may not be great, but that I suspect has more to do with location than anything else.

Reactions: 1 users

Extremely wrong. I was screened out had because one GPA was slightly below 3.25 and one score was below a 7 on my MCAT.