1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

D.O. schools with medical centers

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by lattimer13, Nov 25, 2002.

1. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    which of the D.O. schools have their own medical centers? i realize that all the schools are in some way affiliated with several medical centers, but which of them actually have the school and medical center together? i know AZCOM only has a campus in glendale, but no medical center on its campus. please let me know. thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. luckystar

luckystar pooped
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe DMU has its own med center. I think there may be a few others with their own, but I don't know which ones.

4. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks luckystar! i know there are more people out there that can answer this question for me. is this a stupid question or something? is that why no one is responding. i'd appreciate any imput. thanks!

5. oceandocDO

oceandocDO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont think any D.O. schools legally own medical centers, could be wrong though. Likewise, many MD schools have also gotten out of the business, as the costs and liability are too high. I think some of the MD schools still retain the name on the hospital, but the hospital is legally under direction of another governing body.

I kind of like not being relatively tied to a medical center, officially. It gives you the opportunity to go and rotate through the best departments, which may be at different hospitals and opens you up to a much wider patient and pathology population. You can also window shop for residency programs with more ease.

6. tlh908

tlh908 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    LECOM still owns it own hospital - Millcreek community hospital. Although this summer they recently agreed to have most of their DO students rotate through Hamot - a major allopathic hospital in town. LECOM is the only DO school to still own their hospital.

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PCOM is knocking down it's old hospital. Does that count?

Future plans (from what I hear) may include a new facility.

Right now they're just going for the land and seeing how it can best be used by the school.

8. luckystar

luckystar pooped
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, DMU has a 10-story building (Tower/DMU Clinic) that offers services including pediatrics, ophthalmology, ambulatory surgery, fam practice, etc. I don't know if you would consider that a medical center. It's listed as one of the many places that students can possibly do their clerkships.

9. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    KCOM has Northeastern Regional which has several students rotating through and several residencies including ENT/DERM/FM/IM/OMT, but I don't believe they actually own the hospital.

10. Sweaty Paul

Sweaty Paul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

KCOM owns the building the hospital is in, however, it rents it to the organization that employs everyone who works there (they may or may not employ the physicians).

Sweaty Paul MS-III
    KCOM