D.O. schools with medical centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
which of the D.O. schools have their own medical centers? i realize that all the schools are in some way affiliated with several medical centers, but which of them actually have the school and medical center together? i know AZCOM only has a campus in glendale, but no medical center on its campus. please let me know. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe DMU has its own med center. I think there may be a few others with their own, but I don't know which ones.

thanks luckystar! i know there are more people out there that can answer this question for me. is this a stupid question or something? is that why no one is responding. i'd appreciate any imput. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think any D.O. schools legally own medical centers, could be wrong though. Likewise, many MD schools have also gotten out of the business, as the costs and liability are too high. I think some of the MD schools still retain the name on the hospital, but the hospital is legally under direction of another governing body.

I kind of like not being relatively tied to a medical center, officially. It gives you the opportunity to go and rotate through the best departments, which may be at different hospitals and opens you up to a much wider patient and pathology population. You can also window shop for residency programs with more ease.

LECOM still owns it own hospital - Millcreek community hospital. Although this summer they recently agreed to have most of their DO students rotate through Hamot - a major allopathic hospital in town. LECOM is the only DO school to still own their hospital.

PCOM is knocking down it's old hospital. Does that count?

Future plans (from what I hear) may include a new facility.

Right now they're just going for the land and seeing how it can best be used by the school.

Well, DMU has a 10-story building (Tower/DMU Clinic) that offers services including pediatrics, ophthalmology, ambulatory surgery, fam practice, etc. I don't know if you would consider that a medical center. It's listed as one of the many places that students can possibly do their clerkships.

KCOM has Northeastern Regional which has several students rotating through and several residencies including ENT/DERM/FM/IM/OMT, but I don't believe they actually own the hospital.

KCOM owns the building the hospital is in, however, it rents it to the organization that employs everyone who works there (they may or may not employ the physicians).

Sweaty Paul MS-III
KCOM