D3--too late to improve application for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcrentistdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D3 with a not great GPA (3.14), no extracurriculars, and very little volunteering. Unknown class rank. I'm worried that I won't be able to get into any GPRs or AEGDs next year. Is it too late to try and start on EC's and volunteering to improve my application? Does it look bad that I'm starting late into dental school? Any advice on what I should do? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be able to get something, don’t worry.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a D3 with a not great GPA (3.14), no extracurriculars, and very little volunteering. Unknown class rank. I'm worried that I won't be able to get into any GPRs or AEGDs next year. Is it too late to try and start on EC's and volunteering to improve my application? Does it look bad that I'm starting late into dental school? Any advice on what I should do? Thanks!

You could throw in some ECs and other things to add onto your application if you want. Going to a CE course or two or finding something to volunteer for isn’t a bad idea. GPRs and AEGDs vary so much, but start looking now at some of the programs out there and start thinking about who might be able to write a letter of rec for you.

I wouldn’t worry. You’re not in terrible shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPRs and AEGDs are not difficult to get into. You’ll be fine

Getting in somewhere won’t be an issue but may be difficult getting into a competitive one.