DA question: Premolars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lopyswine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay,
can you guys help me with a few questions about the premolars:

1) which premolars have a transverse ridge? I have read that both maxillary and the first mandibular have transverse ridges. I have also read that only the mandibular 1st has a transverse ridge.

Anyone know for sure?

2) the 1st premolar has a mesial depression. ok. The intraradicular groove? Is that just the portion of the depression that extends on the cementum/root area.

3) Does the mesiolingual groove of the mandibular 1st premolar extend onto a proximal surface? A old released exam asks which groove on a premolar extends onto the proximal surface. The answer was the mesiolingual groove of the mand 1st. I have never heard this. We learned that the groove is lingual only.

4) What is the occlusal outline SHAPE of a 3 cusped mandibular 2nd premolar? I have conflicting sources. One source says square or rectangle, while another source says pentagonal. I can see either one being the answer. Is there a general consensus answer?

Members don't see this ad.

Mosby's Review pg 293 says Transverse ridge in all PM except mand 2.

It also says the occlusal view of the Mand PM 2 is square/round.

It doesn't answer the other questions.