Dad Graduated from Columbia MD Residancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.....do you think that if a fam member graduated from a MD residancy program - that it could help u get into the DMD program....? curious

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

doubt it. If a family member went to the DMD(or DDS whatever it is these days) program, then maybe it will have an effect, but MD residency? I would have to say no

INFNITE said:
doubt it. If a family member went to the DMD(or DDS whatever it is these days) program, then maybe it will have an effect, but MD residency? I would have to say no
thnx..i know it's a stretch

Members don't see this ad :)
Had you of been first of your family to attend college, then that may of helped. In this situation, I see no help.

1FutureDDS said:
Had you of been first of your family to attend college, then that may of helped. In this situation, I see no help.

depends on the institution, and it depends on your father's relationship to that institution (active alumnus, makes contributions, teaches there, etc). some teaching institutions are very concerned about treating the sons/daughters of teaching and contributing alumni as family members-others couldn't care less, and as a result have a disloyal alumni association. you have to look into the individual institution.

amsie said:
make your dad donate a million(or five) dollars. that should work :smuggrin:
good point

tavern on the green ---not the 'in' place any more....let me think-

sumozmom said:
Hello all.....do you think that if a fam member graduated from a MD residancy program - that it could help u get into the DMD program....? curious

They'll probably ask you why not follow daddy's step like they did at most of my interviews, then you could work out a prescripted dialog to waste some time in your interview :smuggrin:

greenday said:
They'll probably ask you why not follow daddy's step like they did at most of my interviews, then you could work out a prescripted dialog to waste some time in your interview :smuggrin:
so does that mean no?

That means yes because you get asked less questions lol. Pretty much all the interview I've been to is like the following format,

1. why dentistry
BS some reason, eg, although good at but don't like playing computer games everyday in the computer engineering industry, finally decided on dentistry later in the game

2. oh your dad's a surgeon, why don't you do the same
Blah blah blah... i prefer teeth to anus

3. that's respectful, I'm glad you had your own judgement, so why do you like our school?
Because of the free crest toothbrush giveout in the second year

4. any question for us?
Blah blah blah... Can i go now

5. see u in the fall... (liars, two schools said that to me but put me on the wait list!!!)

Hope this helps. I hope everyone applying to UNLV get in so I won't hear those complaints in the histology class.

sumozmom said:

just make sure you know how to spell residency before you apply.

jokerjoe12 said:
just make sure you know how to spell residency before you apply.
:)

sumozmom said:

My sister graduated from Columbia dental school and on the top of her class. that didnt help my chances at all..i didn't get accepted. Regardless if your dad or a sibling graduated from the school you want to apply to...you have to have kick ass grades and dat score in order to atleast get offer an interview or get accepted

Tufts Dental School D'10

well i will apply anyway...you never know :)