Daily suboxone dispensing clinic

Started by Village
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Village

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone
I just recently took a position as medical director of a non profit organisation that runs a methadone and suboxone clinic. They are trying to change suboxone part to be like methadone part where patients come in for daily dosing. I will imagine this will deter patients from establishing services. They will have to come every day for their doses meanwhile PCP and psychiatrists are willing to provide weekly to monthly scripts. Will also imagine increase in cost (drug screens, BAL), paperwork hazzles etc. I will appreciate any feedback or advise. This is new to me . Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
I left a job like that in late May, regulations ( I am not sure if state or federal) required suboxone to be dispensed daily
I don't think it's a scam... I believe it was due to fed regs
Well I don't like the whole methadone clinic concept, at least the way it's done in practice, but I don't think the clinic is trying to scam anyone by offering daily suboxone
 
I left a job like that in late May, regulations ( I am not sure if state or federal) required suboxone to be dispensed daily
I don't think it's a scam... I believe it was due to fed regs
Well I don't like the whole methadone clinic concept, at least the way it's done in practice, but I don't think the clinic is trying to scam anyone by offering daily suboxone
The clinic wants to build suboxone clinic caseload and am.not sure this is a good way to achieve that. It will deter patients to other outpatient programs that do not require daily dosing. These are Medicaid clients with financial and transportation issues. It might bring in uninsured (state has a grant towards that ) and those that cant get a dr appnt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not the usual way to do it but it can be done and a good friend of mine made one. He wanted me in but at the time I was a professor and the university wouldn't allow me in due to a no-compete clause.

Make sure you're following all the regulations state and federal.
 
It's not the usual way to do it but it can be done and a good friend of mine made one. He wanted me in but at the time I was a professor and the university wouldn't allow me in due to a no-compete clause.

Make sure you're following all the regulations state and federal.
Thanks whopper. I will really appreciate some info on some of procedures ,regulations and protocols. You mind putting me in contact with your friend please ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
My friend, a Ph.D. candidate and substance abuse counselor, doesn't like to take phone calls or e-mails. Nice guy but not into the teaching thing.

The law is important. You don't want to do something that'll cost you plenty as an investment. I know of a doctor that made a methadone clinic, bought the property, had it modified on the inside, and after putting in 6 figures into this clinic, found out that he wasn't allowed to operate it cause it was within a few blocks of a school. Turned out you couldn't have a methadone clinic within a specific distance and his clinic was within it.

If this clinic is operated by an existing company, if it's big enough it likely has a lawyer. You could ask for assurances by the lawyer or someone official in the company that everything you're doing is kosher.
 
Some of our affiliated SUD clinics offer this as an option for greater support or for patients with a history of diversion. IMO doing this right involves having additional services tied in (social workers/therapists/groups). More structure to the day is helpful for a lot of these patients.
 
My friend, a Ph.D. candidate and substance abuse counselor, doesn't like to take phone calls or e-mails. Nice guy but not into the teaching thing.

The law is important. You don't want to do something that'll cost you plenty as an investment. I know of a doctor that made a methadone clinic, bought the property, had it modified on the inside, and after putting in 6 figures into this clinic, found out that he wasn't allowed to operate it cause it was within a few blocks of a school. Turned out you couldn't have a methadone clinic within a specific distance and his clinic was within it.

If this clinic is operated by an existing company, if it's big enough it likely has a lawyer. You could ask for assurances by the lawyer or someone official in the company that everything you're doing is kosher.
This is an existing non for profit organisation, average size. They used to have a lot of clients but lost some due to internal changes. Not sure if the client case load for methadone is over 200. The company has a small caseload of 46 at this time but want to start dispensing suboxone at window like methadone. Am still calling diff agencies to find out what laws are in this case so we stay in compliance

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
Some of our affiliated SUD clinics offer this as an option for greater support or for patients with a history of diversion. IMO doing this right involves having additional services tied in (social workers/therapists/groups). More structure to the day is helpful for a lot of these patients.
You are right. I think its more for diversion reasons if anything. Working on getting more staff hired to run groups and individual counseling

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile
 
1) Patients who are appropriate for burprenorphine will leave. With PA/ARNP also able to prescribe, access is greater. Part of the history of buprenorphine and the DATA 2000 waiver was to not be a daily dispensing treatment like methadone.
2) Diversion issues? Switch to sublocade. Once Buvidal gets the green light, it'll likely be the new standard, diversion issues virtually gone.