You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dalhousie Pharmacy - 2011 applying
Started by Dalmeplz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It is Pharmd????Hey I'm applying to Dal pharmacy this year (2011). Just wondering who else out there is? Does anyone know how to check to see if your transcript and supplemental form got there?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can just call the College of Pharmacy and ask if they've received your application/supplementary form yet. The number is found here:
http://pharmacy.dal.ca/contact/
Thanks Talia11. I also can see it on the DalOnline site. Are you applying Talia11?
Did anyone apply in their first year? And I am wondering if they will give you any advantages if you took IB courses in your high school years, assuming that you're a freshman applicant.
Im applying after 3 years (will be done 3rd year BSc this winter). I don't think IB courses will change anything, they still only look at gpa or for you high school average. I'm sure it looks good tho as they skim over your transcript. Where are you applying from?
Does anyone know when they send out the interview letters? I hate waiting lol
From last year's thread it looks like early-mid March. Not sure though. Im already stressed just thinking about it.
Kaigrace where are you applying from?
I hope it's early March! haha
I'm from New Brunswick, so applying for one of the maritime seats...
My friend (who talked to Dal) told me they wont call about interviews until early APRIL! Theres a lot of waiting to do.
What year is everyone in? How is there no one from NS on here yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied from NS for this year, hate waiting for the letters already
Its so far away. UofT finds out in 2 weeks if they got inteviews or not. For us, another month or more.
Does anyone have a reasonable guess at how many people applied this year? Looking at last years Dal thread it seems like theres not as many, or it could just be not as many people have found this forum.
I reapplied this year. I'm from Nova Scotia (already a Dal student too), applied last year (after my first year) and managed to get an interview. I've heard they get somewhere between 700 and 1000 applicants, and last year just over 200 received interviews. They do call between early and late April or interviews (I got mine April 8th). I really wish they made decisions earlier, mostly because it doesn't leave much time for people to make arrangements to get to the interview if they're coming from out of town. At least it's just another month or so.
I reapplied this year. I'm from Nova Scotia (already a Dal student too), applied last year (after my first year) and managed to get an interview. I've heard they get somewhere between 700 and 1000 applicants, and last year just over 200 received interviews. They do call between early and late April or interviews (I got mine April 8th). I really wish they made decisions earlier, mostly because it doesn't leave much time for people to make arrangements to get to the interview if they're coming from out of town. At least it's just another month or so.
Wow, those stats are scary. Bilbette do you have any idea about what the average gpa of people getting in last year was? And any tips about what the interview is like?
Hey Everyone!
I just wanted to wish you guys luck this year in applying to the College of Pharmacy at Dalhousie! I know it's a strenuous time but my advice to you is to put it in the back of your mind or it'll drive you crazy!
For the past two years, interviews were not distributed/given out until at least April, usually around the second week. They will call you and let you know if you're receiving an interview. This year interviews are in the first week of May. My advice is to look up examples of Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) questions online so that you can become familiar with the process. After that, it'll be a waiting period until the last week in June to find out if you've been accepted or not.
Once again, I wish you the best of luck!
I just wanted to wish you guys luck this year in applying to the College of Pharmacy at Dalhousie! I know it's a strenuous time but my advice to you is to put it in the back of your mind or it'll drive you crazy!
For the past two years, interviews were not distributed/given out until at least April, usually around the second week. They will call you and let you know if you're receiving an interview. This year interviews are in the first week of May. My advice is to look up examples of Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) questions online so that you can become familiar with the process. After that, it'll be a waiting period until the last week in June to find out if you've been accepted or not.
Once again, I wish you the best of luck!
Hey Everyone!
I just wanted to wish you guys luck this year in applying to the College of Pharmacy at Dalhousie! I know it's a strenuous time but my advice to you is to put it in the back of your mind or it'll drive you crazy!
For the past two years, interviews were not distributed/given out until at least April, usually around the second week. They will call you and let you know if you're receiving an interview. This year interviews are in the first week of May. My advice is to look up examples of Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) questions online so that you can become familiar with the process. After that, it'll be a waiting period until the last week in June to find out if you've been accepted or not.
Once again, I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks! thats good advice, Im already really stressed about getting an interview, I need to not worry about it and focus on current studies.
Do you go to Dal Pharmacy now Mcsteamy? Can you share what your gpa was when you applied? Im worried...I only have a 3.5, not sure how competitive that makes me.
Wow, those stats are scary. Bilbette do you have any idea about what the average gpa of people getting in last year was? And any tips about what the interview is like?
I really don't know what the average gpa was. Mine was about 3.7, and while that got me an interview it's hard to say whether it was my marks or my interview that weren't up to par for getting in.
As for the interview, it's a series of miniature interviews with a very broad range of questions they can ask. There was actually a confidentiality form we had to sign before we could start the interviews, so I can't say much about the type of questions or specific ones they asked. If you look around for MMI questions online, you can probably find some good examples though.
One of the big things about the interviews is how early they are held. They had 3 different interview sessions over the two days, 8am and 11am on Saturday and 8am on Sunday. I was lucky and managed to get into the 11am group, but I still made sure to be in town very early (I remember they were very strict about people being on time). Something to keep in mind for anyone coming from outside of Halifax who's planning on traveling to the interview on the morning of.
Good luck everyone! Mid-April will be here soon, so try not to stress too much. At this point theres not much we can really do about it, other than wait.
My GPA upon applying was only 2.7, which was not the greatest. However, I was in my second year and all of my courses were year long 6 credit courses, so there was no chance for me to gain a higher GPA. The college did take my current GPA for second year courses as of December into consideration (4.3), and I was offered an interview. Also, they saw that I was repeating pre-requisites required for pharmacy that I did not do as well in as I would have liked to, so this here also showed my dedication and how much I wanted to get into Pharmacy.
There were between 600-700 applicants last year for Pharmacy. Of these, 216 had an interview. And of these, 92 students were excepted. One thing to take into consideration, however, is that these aren't exactly 92 new students. Some students fail first year, or differ a year, which take out of the applicant pool.
I hope this helps!
There were between 600-700 applicants last year for Pharmacy. Of these, 216 had an interview. And of these, 92 students were excepted. One thing to take into consideration, however, is that these aren't exactly 92 new students. Some students fail first year, or differ a year, which take out of the applicant pool.
I hope this helps!
I applied last year and got an interview. My GPA by the end of first year was a 3.5 and when I called to see why I didn't get in, they told me that my interview score was a little bit above average while my grades score was a little below average. I got a C+ in one of the prerequisites though which I had to retake in order to apply again this year.
It's hard to say what your GPA has to be in order to get in because it depends on the average grades of the other applicants so it can vary a little bit each year. Also, I got my call for an interview April 9th. Not much longer!
Goodluck everyone!
It's hard to say what your GPA has to be in order to get in because it depends on the average grades of the other applicants so it can vary a little bit each year. Also, I got my call for an interview April 9th. Not much longer!
Goodluck everyone!
Hey everybody 🙂 I have a random question... If we were to be accepted into the program this year, where is everyone planning on living?? I know it may be a little soon to be thinking about this, seeing as they haven't even given interviews yet, but I can't help thinking ahead lol. I heard you find out if you're in by July sometime... is that too late to apply to residence? I'd rather get an apartment with roommates, but I'm not sure if everyone will have a place by then. I was thinking maybe other Pharmacy students may be in the same situation, looking for roommates, etc..... Let me know what you guys are thinking 🙂
I heard you find out if you're in by July sometime... is that too late to apply to residence?
Theoretically, it's not too late to apply for residence. According to their website, a student is guaranteed a spot in residence if they complete the residence application by August 1st, which is after most of the letters should have gone out. It doesn't work quite so well for people who are wait-listed and such though. If anyone's interested, this is where I got my information from: http://www.ancillaries.dal.ca/default.asp?mn=1.8.52
I'm already a Dal student living at home, so that probably won't change if I get in.
Hey Kaigrace,
As for living, seriously do not stress over it yet! I know it's great to plan ahead and all, but you're only going to stress yourself out. If you are not currently a Dalhousie Student, you are GUARANTEED a spot in residence. I applied last year to residence in the first week of July, and found out which one I got into near the end of July. My recommendation, though, is to search for others within the class to room with WHEN letters go out and you join the facebook group. Or, the other option would be to live in a single apartment. I found residence was not a conducive atmosphere for studying, as there were a lot of distractions for me, and so I moved out. This was only my experience, though. Hope this helps!
As for living, seriously do not stress over it yet! I know it's great to plan ahead and all, but you're only going to stress yourself out. If you are not currently a Dalhousie Student, you are GUARANTEED a spot in residence. I applied last year to residence in the first week of July, and found out which one I got into near the end of July. My recommendation, though, is to search for others within the class to room with WHEN letters go out and you join the facebook group. Or, the other option would be to live in a single apartment. I found residence was not a conducive atmosphere for studying, as there were a lot of distractions for me, and so I moved out. This was only my experience, though. Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice 🙂
Hey Kaigrace,
As for living, seriously do not stress over it yet! I know it's great to plan ahead and all, but you're only going to stress yourself out. If you are not currently a Dalhousie Student, you are GUARANTEED a spot in residence. I applied last year to residence in the first week of July, and found out which one I got into near the end of July. My recommendation, though, is to search for others within the class to room with WHEN letters go out and you join the facebook group. Or, the other option would be to live in a single apartment. I found residence was not a conducive atmosphere for studying, as there were a lot of distractions for me, and so I moved out. This was only my experience, though. Hope this helps!
I don't think they're done alphabetically, between the evidence from last year and the fact that they would probably have to go out of their way to organize the approved applicants in that way. Doing it by the date the applications were received wouldn't surprise me though.
Congrats on getting an interview, DalU19! Hopefully the rest of us will be as lucky 🙂
Congrats on getting an interview, DalU19! Hopefully the rest of us will be as lucky 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Last edited:
Hey. I am seeing a lot of people nervous about GPAs. Do NOT worry. I applied my first year at Christmas with a 3.5 GPA (On a 4.3 scale) and still got an interview. I didn't get accepted after my first year and I am not positive if my GPA was the issue? I have heard, however, that after you have your interview, you are qualified. It is really all about the interview from there. I am now in my second year, and currently have a 3.6. I got my call on Friday.
Good Luck Everyone 🙂
Good Luck Everyone 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
