Dalhousie Pharmacy - 2011 applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Best of luck to those who get an interview. I did it last year and got in. If your GPA is good don't worry about it. Once you get a call, all they care about is mostly the interview. Since we had to sign a confidentiality paper last yr I can't say exactly what went on, but one thing I would recommend is to do the sample question on the dal pharm website. Most of all, be yourself and at least appear confident and calm. I had absolutely no confidence in getting in and so when I did the interview I was really calm.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone im late finding this lol but i was just wonderin what are all u guys that got interviews wearin to em i dnt wanna be over or under dressed and look like a dummy lol thanks

Hey everyone im late finding this lol but i was just wonderin what are all u guys that got interviews wearin to em i dnt wanna be over or under dressed and look like a dummy lol thanks

I'm wearing pretty much the same thing I wore last year, a gray pantsuit with a teal button-down blouse, and black 1" wedge-heel ballet flats. If my memory is correct, there weren't very many other women wearing suits in my interview cycle, and there were a fair number wearing black stilettos. As for the men being interviewed, it seems to me most of them were wearing suits. I don't know quite what the expected dress code is, but I felt comfortable in a suit and fairly sensible shoes.

Hope this helps some!

Members don't see this ad :)
They just want you to dress professionally. Professionalism is a big thing in the college (they even have a professionalism committee). A suit is the safest way to go. Just think if you were working in a company, what would you wear to work. Once you get in, you have to dress professionally for skills lab which is once a week. There, you aren't allowed to wear sneakers or jeans. People usually wear black pants and a matching shirt. I know this may sound obvious, but women, make sure none of the cleavage area shows.

There were quite a bit of people wearing suits. I wore a skirt, and a white dress shirt with a black formal jacket. I wore black dress shoes as well.

One thing is... don't bring a purse. I brought a purse and they make you leave it in the main room (they lock it though). Just don't bring anything valuable with you. What I started doing this yr. is taking important cards out of my wallet and putting them into a very small bag that fits in my pocket. That way, if anything were ever stolen you would at least have the important stuff with you (ex: debit card). If you really want your cell phone with you, turn it OFF, not vibrate, not silent. There is nothing worse than being in an interview and feeling you phone vibrate (the interviewer could probably hear it too).

Please don't stress yourself too much. Get a good nights sleep, have a good breakfast and relax. The interview is meant to see your personality, not your knowledge. So be as honest as possible and show some confidence in what you say. As a pharmacist, you will be giving recommendations to people and if you do not look confident in your answer, the patient will not likely have confidence in your abilities, which could affect compliance. Therefore, in my opinion, this is an important trait to look for in applicants. You have 8 minutes for each station and you probably won't need those full 8 minutes. I would recommend taking the first minute or so to collect your thoughts and think of a logical way to go about with the scenario/question. They will explain everything to you there and there will be first and second year pharmacy students around to ask for help.

I hope this helps you. I really want people not to be too stressed. Although being a bit nervous is OK. Everyone is nervous at the interview, as long as you control it to let yourself think clearly you should do well.

Good luck

Hey I was just wondering if people know how many out of province students they call because I am from Windsor and I am just wondering as well is the GPA different for every university

I just found out that your grades count for 60% and your interview for 40% in your final score for the application. Good luck to everyone!!

For those who interviewed last year, when did you get a letter with the decision? We were told it was the end of June, but just curious to see if it was earlier or later for any of you. It's difficult to wait so long! :p

My letter was dated June 23. I didn't see it till the first week of July.

Good luck.

I emailed the admissions department, and they said letters start getting sent out June 13th (this Monday), but continue until August. It sounds like they are sent out in waves, not 90 all at once.

Good luck everyone! It's very difficult to wait so long to find out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance letter today, it was dated June 9th. Good luck everyone!! :)

Hey guys. I got my acceptance letter yesterday. It was also dated June 9th.

Hopefully someone here will be happy to know that I am declining the offer. I'll be going next door at Dal Dentistry ;) Good luck guys!

If this is helpful to anyone, here were my stats:

IP
First time applicant
Graduate - Neuroscience @ Dal
cGPA: 3.7, Last two years GPA: ~4.0
Interview went very well

For those of you who have received your acceptance letter, where do you live? Nova Scotia?

I live in NB and haven't gotten anything yet, but where they were only sent June 9th I guess it's possible they haven't made it this far yet.

Thanks!

For those of you who have received your acceptance letter, where do you live? Nova Scotia?

I live in NB and haven't gotten anything yet, but where they were only sent June 9th I guess it's possible they haven't made it this far yet.

Thanks!

Yeah, I live in Dartmouth, which is basically Halifax (Just on the other side of the harbour).

Hopefully you guys hear soon. Waiting is the worst :(

Canada Post strike is nationwide. I hope Dalhousie has an alternative way to inform you guys.

I've had other schools send me the letter via email upon request.

Some of you anxious applicants could probably try that, though, they may not allow it, and I personally haven't been able to get a reply from anyone from Pharmacy. I had some questions I wanted to ask before declining this offer but nobody has answered my email :(

I emailed them yesterday. They replied but wouldn't give me a straight answer.

I emailed them yesterday as well. I didn't get a straight answer either. I would like to ask them to email the letters but I don't want to bother them again.
I am also from NB and haven't received a letter yet. Maybe those of us who haven't received letters could request our letters via email? If there is a big enough request it could be possible.

Hey guys. I'm from Nova Scotia. I got my acceptance letter Monday. It was dated June 9th. This is my third time applying and my first acceptance, so even if you don't get in the first time, try again! And for the ones worried about the postal strike you can try calling them and explaining your situation and seeing what they say.

See some of you in September!

For those of you who haven't received your letter yet and already go to Dal, you can see the decision on dalonline under applications!

I do not go to dal but I just logged in with my student id. Under application is says "decision made - notification to follow" but thats it

For those of you who haven't received your letter yet and already go to Dal, you can see the decision on dalonline under applications!

I do not go to dal but I just logged in with my student id. Under application is says "decision made - notification to follow" but thats it
Same...

I was accepted, but as with the others, it only says decision made - written notification to follow.

Really? This is what mine says:

Application Status: Decision Made
Decision: Accepted - Deposit Requested

It might be because I already confirmed my acceptance, sorry guys

Talia11, that is because you accepted.

Good luck everyone!

I haven't received a letter yet, so still waiting... hoping that Canada Post heads back to work on Monday. I also live in Dartmouth, and know of a few people who live close to me who got theirs. Hopefully it will come soon.. just have to know either way!

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting and to those to have been accepted!!

Hey Everyone!
For those of you who have yet to receive your letters in the mail, just email Margaret at the Admin. office and request for her to send you the letter via email. She just forwards you the letter! SO much easier than waiting. She gets back to her emails in minutes.
Good luck :)

Hey Everyone!
For those of you who have yet to receive your letters in the mail, just email Margaret at the Admin. office and request for her to send you the letter via email. She just forwards you the letter! SO much easier than waiting. She gets back to her emails in minutes.
Good luck :)

Great, I will try that. But I'm guessing they're off work no so i'll have to still wait until tomorrow :(

They said a decision hasn't been made yet. I'm guessing that means I didn't get in. Boo :(

That's what I got as a response too.... :(

That's what I got as a response too.... :(

Hummm... It COULD be that they simply haven't made a decision yet. They don't send all 90 letters out at once. Although I'm not sure what exactly the process is. Good luck!

Hummm... It COULD be that they simply haven't made a decision yet. They don't send all 90 letters out at once. Although I'm not sure what exactly the process is. Good luck!

I hope that is true. The email I got said that the first batch of letters went out last week and the next batch would be in 2 weeks. She did not specify if they were acceptance letters, so I was just thinking that the first batch is acceptance, they get 2 weeks to confirm, then the rejection letters go out. I'm crossing my fingers though.

Yeah, you got it. Basically them saying "a decision has not yet been made" is their way of saying "You didn't make the cut, but we are going to be absolutely sure 90 students confirmed before telling you you're not in." Because there is still a chance that some students decline. But I am just going on what makes sense in my head, and the fact they told me they were sending "2 batches of letters". But I have no real insight into how they do it. :xf:

I am hoping that your theory isn't correct...because I know a few people who have received rejection letters already in the first batch. But who really knows, it seems to be pretty random.

I am hoping that your theory isn't correct...because I know a few people who have received rejection letters already in the first batch. But who really knows, it seems to be pretty random.

That makes me feel a bit better.

Does anyone know when the second batch of letters will be going out? They haven't made a decision for me either :)xf:). Also, when they look at your grades, are they only considering how you did in the prerequisites for pharmacy or just overall?

I asked admissions the same question last week, and they said in 1-2 weeks they hope to get out the next batch of letters. It says my decision has been made in Dal Online, crossing my fingers!

I really wonder how the 2 batches differ in terms of application competitiveness or if they are alphabetical, or simply random.

Does anyone know when the second batch of letters will be going out? They haven't made a decision for me either :)xf:). Also, when they look at your grades, are they only considering how you did in the prerequisites for pharmacy or just overall?

I'm pretty sure its overall. I know someone who got an interview last year but not this year. They said it was because this year they were looking at overall marks not just pre reqs

Is anyone else stilllllll waiting... I am so anxious to hear back! :xf:

Also still waiting, getting very anxious! In Dal Online it says the decision has been made. Hopefully we hear by the end of the week.