damn DO cut offs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still feel that you are using DO as a backup and you said it again, you prefer MD. If you were applying to my school, I would not accept you for this reason alone.
Why do you think a student that prefers MD should be rejected? It doesn't say that the student disrespects or believes that DO is inferior. The student might just be legitimately concerned with discrimination/bias/residency limits/etc. Like I would prefer going to Stanford than say Duke, although I believe both educations to be relatively equal.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry, but this is very ignorant of you. It is pretty pre-medy to think that getting into a DO school is easy. It is not easy. There are fewer seats available and statistically more people vying for them.

I still feel that you are using DO as a backup and you said it again, you prefer MD. If you were applying to my school, I would not accept you for this reason alone.

I don't think he said it was easy, but rather easier than an average MD school. Also I don't understand why having a higher amount of applicant to seat ratio makes it more competitive? Anyways, I don't think the OP see's DO as a back up, but simply that he'd rather have an MD. And fundamentally it'll make life a little bit easier.

Triagepremed and serenade it seems you are of the few that can read here..I am not trying to argue and know that this task one of the hardest challenges in my life getting into these schools, never said it was easy!! No point in trying to put a negative spin on my words..especially if your a physician don't you have more important things to do then bash my situation.

So to sum up I need to take more courses and raise my gpa. I probably won't get in this cycle but will still try despite statistics and money. I'll take my chances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To reiterate the point I made earlier. Watch your applications. Do not waste them, if you do, you could find yourself having a harder time getting in than if you would have waited. I realize you've already applied, but check the reapp policies on those schools. Also, watch the OOS stuff, even if you do pull up your scores, if they are public, you don't really stand a chance. It's a place to save some cash. I wish you the best, I'm in the same boat, a lot of people are...

I am a realist. You need to be a realist too. For example: your GPA is sub-par. therefor all of the secondaries you are getting are from schools that do not screen and are more than happy to take your money. Rather than waiting to make your credentials better, you would rather throw your money away, then do it.

Second, many of the adcoms read SDN. They do not post but they DO read. and as a result you are putting information on this very public forums for everyone to read. Adcoms are not stupid people. They will look at your stats and if they feel that it looks familiar and therefor put it together with what you wrote here, you will NOT get an interview. Because they want people who WANT to be a DO. Not one who WANTS to be an MD because the residency positions are better.

Obviously you are not critically reading what I have been writing. And if you think I am bashing you then you have every right to. But remember this, I have been where are you are now. So you are right, I have better things to do and good luck.

I am a realist. You need to be a realist too. For example: your GPA is sub-par. therefor all of the secondaries you are getting are from schools that do not screen and are more than happy to take your money. Rather than waiting to make your credentials better, you would rather throw your money away, then do it.

Second, many of the adcoms read SDN. They do not post but they DO read. and as a result you are putting information on this very public forums for everyone to read. Adcoms are not stupid people. They will look at your stats and if they feel that it looks familiar and therefor put it together with what you wrote here, you will NOT get an interview. Because they want people who WANT to be a DO. Not one who WANTS to be an MD because the residency positions are better.

Obviously you are not critically reading what I have been writing. And if you think I am bashing you then you have every right to. But remember this, I have been where are you are now. So you are right, I have better things to do and good luck.

:thumbup:

OP: What was the point of your post if you didnt listen to anyones advice? If you were going to go ahead anyway and apply, why make this thread with the intention of not listening to anyone

Your life, your choices. I wish you luck, I really do (although not with DO schools if you think they inferior. I dont feel like reading upstream on the thread to confirm). Good luck with whatever you do

Triagepremed and serenade it seems you are of the few that can read here..I am not trying to argue and know that this task one of the hardest challenges in my life getting into these schools, never said it was easy!! No point in trying to put a negative spin on my words..especially if your a physician don't you have more important things to do then bash my situation.

So to sum up I need to take more courses and raise my gpa. I probably won't get in this cycle but will still try despite statistics and money. I'll take my chances.

What statistics? I think you may be ignoring your BCPM gpa, which again, is going to be the reason for your demise.

What statistics? I think you may be ignoring your BCPM gpa, which again, is going to be the reason for your demise.

I think he's saying that even though the chances are low he's still willing to try and given the fact that he's not paying, then so be it. He can reuse all of those essays when he applies to DO school.

Ok thank you!

I really want MD and I know that grade replacement is bad but I know that my chances are very low with MD already. So just retake physics, orgo, and maybe take a couple extra bio courses and I should be good to go on my DO journey.

it makes me sad that you are one of the many that is going a DO route because it is "easier" opposed to the people who do it because they believe in the philosophy of osteopathy.

I have fee assistance, plenty of time, and not one to give up so I am still going to go through with the secondaries..Thank you for motivating me more. I already submitted 12 and it is not unheard of that someone with a low GPA be given an interview, especially if that someone has a couple connections;).

I understand GPA is a HUGE factor in the decision, but everything else on my app is really solid and hopefully the adcoms will take notice to that and look past my GPA. In reality 19/20 adcoms will wipe their ass with my app and 1/20 will use it as a coaster. So since I am applying to 28 MD and 7 DO I hope someone reaches out.

My GPA was badly affected by both my parents passing away sophomore year from cancer/heart attack so you can imagine it was very difficult. I did an extra year, but my last two years my GPA was 3.7 and 3.9 so it shows that I am fully capable of doing well.

here are some of my stats:

-Major: Chemistry Minor: Jazz Studies
-cGPA:3.0 <--strong upward trend
-sGPA:2.6
-MCAT: bio:12 ps: 11 vr: 10
-200+ hours shadowing ENT, plastic surgeon, cardiologist, psych, family practitioner, and soon DO
-worked 3.5 years through college at online settlement firm and managed a huge contract handling all NYC personal injury cases.
-1 year orgo chem research, helped developed b-blockers
-1 year and currently Research Coordinator at NYU, doing 2 clinical studies
-2 publication pending with AHA
-1 year volunteer setting up health fairs all over NYC providing free health screenings to underserved communities
-EMT certified(did not work as EMT though)
-2.5 years in touring rock band, played all over east coast with renowned bands and played at Kennedy center
-2 years jazz bass/guitar instructor

I appreciate all of your responses!!

Dude, don't listen to people saying you can't. Apply to all the schools you want to. I'd personally recommend a private school emphasis. But do lots of research on the schools you're applying to. Write good secondaries that SELL you as an applicant. You should create a secondary that jumps out at the reader that will make them say "YES, I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO INTERVIEW THIS GUY!!!!" Kick some butt and tell us all about it when you get multiple acceptances!

The Osteopathic philosophy is absolutely a part of Osteopathic education, but the criticism that's usually levied is that Allopathic schools don't lack a holistic approach, unlike it's subtly advertised.

Sorry, I simply dislike this rationalization. The DO philosophy was important and different 100 years ago, but now it's a part of the modern medical philosophy that all doctors obtain.

Hi, I just read through the thread. I thought about making a new one, but was looking for one that I could tie my question to.

My stats are cGPA 3.2/ sGPA 2.64/ MCAT 28Q. I'm aware that my sGPA is sub-par. I was advised to take hard science courses to prove myself and raise my sGPA, so I have registered for a full courseload this upcoming semester. However, I was advised for a specific M.D school that I could still apply this cycle for 2012, and send in my Fall 2011 grades as soon as they are in. This is because the committee looks at all of the applications at once, regardless of time sent in.

My question is whether I can do that, as well, for the D.O schools. I am currently working on the AACOMAS application now. I am aware that the deadline can be January or February 1st for some schools. Do I wait until the next semester for the grades, and then send in my application? Or should I send in the primary application, and then send in my updated transcript after next semester? Thank you very much, and sorry if any part of my post was unclear.

Global, first consider doing some retakes. Secondly don't even bother submitting your application because you will not be accepted that late when all the other competitive applicants have been verified, so apply next year.
{Edit} Which reminds me.. I'm totally sure I've said this before to you like half a year ago.

Last edited:
Global, first consider doing some retakes. Secondly don't even bother submitting your application because you will not be accepted that late when all the other competitive applicants have been verified, so apply next year.
{Edit} Which reminds me.. I'm totally sure I've said this before to you like half a year ago.

I am taking courses in hard science as opposed to retakes. Is there a specific reason why you think I should re-take classes as opposed to upper-level science courses? I know that AACOMAS will take the last repeated grade into the GPA calculation, but I've been told by advisors that upper-level courses fulfill proving academic capability just as well.

And, even though we did have a similar conversation before, this post was specifying the plan I am now following (to apply and then forward the updated transcript) for the M.D school that reviews all of the applications at the same time and, so, timing of my application submission will not affect it. I wanted to know if this was possible with D.O schools, as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Well basically examine the following:
Lets say you've got 40 credit hours in science ( If you're a science major this is probably going to be like 60-70 credits). And lets say you took 16 ( or 4-5 classes) credits worth upper level science credits and got A's. Your gpa will be a 3.0.
40 X 2.6 + 16 x 4.0 = 104 + 64 / 56 = 3.0 Gpa.
While a good increase, to reach the average science gpa for DO schools ( 3.3) you'll need to take 40 credits in science and have A's in all of them.

Likewise in the last situation with 40 credits, if you reetaking a 4 credit class in which you got a D for an A however will raise your gpa to a 2.9. 12 credits in D's will raise your gpa to a 3.4.

So basically retaking is a much better method to increase your gpa. And in the end it really is all about the numbers. But that being said, you shouldn't feel deterred from taking a few new classes.

Well basically examine the following:
Lets say you've got 40 credit hours in science ( If you're a science major this is probably going to be like 60-70 credits). And lets say you took 16 ( or 4-5 classes) credits worth upper level science credits and got A's. Your gpa will be a 3.0.
40 X 2.6 + 16 x 4.0 = 104 + 64 / 56 = 3.0 Gpa.
While a good increase, to reach the average science gpa for DO schools ( 3.3) you'll need to take 40 credits in science and have A's in all of them.

Likewise in the last situation with 40 credits, if you reetaking a 4 credit class in which you got a D for an A however will raise your gpa to a 2.9. 12 credits in D's will raise your gpa to a 3.4.

So basically retaking is a much better method to increase your gpa. And in the end it really is all about the numbers. But that being said, you shouldn't feel deterred from taking a few new classes.

Thank you so much for your reply. That really helps. I hope you don't mind, I messaged you some details and a couple of questions. Thanks again.

Globalmobile I know your pain! Ive done the calculations and all i have to do is retake 4 courses over two semesters and take maybe 4 upper level science and I will raise my science from a 2.6 -->3.3. You HAVE to take advantage of the grade replacement.