damn DO cut offs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gmcguitar4

I am applying to MD and DO..received about 20 MD secondaries and 0 DO secondaries. My GPA is 3.0 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA, chemistry major and jazz studies minor. I am cut short on the damn DO cutoffs to receive a secondary. I did really bad my undergraduate b/c of family tragedy sophomore year of college and it killed my grades. But no DO school is giving me a chance to explain:mad:.

The bright side is my MCAT is 33, amazing EC's, great LOR's, fantastic personal statement, bla bla. I am also shadowing a DO to get a LOR this August. Everything good and unique qualities, except GPA..

So my plan is to take 2-3 bio courses this fall while working as a Research Coordinator and take a couple more in the spring. If I raise my sGPA another .2-.3 points by December, do you think I still have a chance for this cycle??

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to MD and DO..received about 20 MD secondaries and 0 DO secondaries. My GPA is 3.0 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA, chemistry major and jazz studies minor. I am cut short on the damn DO cutoffs to receive a secondary. I did really bad my undergraduate b/c of family tragedy sophomore year of college and it killed my grades. But no DO school is giving me a chance to explain:mad:.

The bright side is my MCAT is 33, amazing EC's, great LOR's, fantastic personal statement, bla bla. I am also shadowing a DO to get a LOR this August. Everything good and unique qualities, except GPA..

So my plan is to take 2-3 bio courses this fall while working as a Research Coordinator and take a couple more in the spring. If I raise my sGPA another .2-.3 points by December, do you think I still have a chance for this cycle??

You could even contact them now, tell them about your plan asking them to take a second look. Some might go ahead and send a secondary, some might wait for your class grades. Either way it can't hurt to keep in contact with a school to show interest. Once your grades come in I would send another update to the schools.
Good :luck:

I received two DO rejections already and contacted them immediately and asked for a secondary to explain my circumstances. I said I am going to take courses, have publications pending, bunch of other stuff and they said they can't do anything unless I pull my GPA up. They will reconsider me even. But is it realistic to expect an interview that late? Whole thing is pretty f***ed mate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received two DO rejections already and contacted them immediately and asked for a secondary to explain my circumstances. I said I am going to take courses, have publications pending, bunch of other stuff and they said they can't do anything unless I pull my GPA up. They will reconsider me even. But is it realistic to expect an interview that late? Whole thing is pretty f***ed mate.

Try contacting some of the ones that haven't sent out a rejection yet too.

I spend a semester retaking classes. That would boost your GPA the most. Schools don't want an "I'm gonna" just an "I did." I wish you the best of luck, but you probably won't get much love this cycle.

Are you a foreign student?

Do a semester possibly year of gpa repair, with a 3.3 Science and Cumulative your chances will be much better.

Too bad your BCPM isn't above a 2.75 or else I would have recommended an SMP.

Just curious what the MCAT cutoff would be ... 20?

I am applying to MD and DO..received about 20 MD secondaries and 0 DO secondaries. My GPA is 3.0 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA, chemistry major and jazz studies minor. ?

I would use the grade replacement option and retake some of your science courses that you blew. You can easily jump your SGPA much quicker than your CGPA.

I am applying to MD and DO..received about 20 MD secondaries and 0 DO secondaries. My GPA is 3.0 cGPA and 2.6 sGPA, chemistry major and jazz studies minor. I am cut short on the damn DO cutoffs to receive a secondary.

You may not believe this, but the DO schools are doing you a favor by not sending you a secondary. With a 2.6 sgpa, there is no way in hell that any of the MD schools that send you a secondary will invite you for interview. They are simply taking your secondary app fee and will autosend a reject notice.

The DO schools are taking a far more honest approach by rejecting you early in the application cycle and saving you the secondary fee.

Just curious what the MCAT cutoff would be ... 20?

Every school is different, but usually the cut offs are by sub score and not by composite score.

You may not believe this, but the DO schools are doing you a favor by not sending you a secondary. With a 2.6 sgpa, there is no way in hell that any of the MD schools that send you a secondary will invite you for interview. They are simply taking your secondary app fee and will autosend a reject notice.

The DO schools are taking a far more honest approach by rejecting you early in the application cycle and saving you the secondary fee.

Pretty much, even if those schools don't explicitly screen they won't touch you as you're way beyond even 2 standard deviations from the average applicant.

You realize that there are a ton of MD schools that send everyone secondaries and don't screen until you pay the extra money and send in the secondary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raising my cGPA is pretty pointless considering I already have 120+ credits, my sGPA has plenty of room to though. Taking courses this fall, winter break, and spring will definitely help me out. I am not giving up! I also have fee assistant waiver so not too worried about applying again. Just can't imagine going through another two years of waiting. My application will be sick by that point but I am going to be 26 by the time I get in...It's f****ed up mate.

Also, I am not a foreign student. Native to NYC.

You realize that there are a ton of MD schools that send everyone secondaries and don't screen until you pay the extra money and send in the secondary application.

I do know this, but at least they give me a chance to explain my GPA if they will consider it at all. I have the fee assistance for my apps so no money issue really.

Raising my cGPA is pretty pointless considering I already have 120+ credits, my sGPA has plenty of room to though. Taking courses this fall, winter break, and spring will definitely help me out. I am not giving up! I also have fee assistant waiver so not too worried about applying again. Just can't imagine going through another two years of waiting. My application will be sick by that point but I am going to be 26 by the time I get in...It's f****ed up mate.

Also, I am not a foreign student. Native to NYC.

This is not a 2 year wait... It's a career forever. At least 20 years for you to pay off your loans.... If it takes an extra year or two to retake the classes you did poorly on, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Plus, you make your application more competitive to get into the better DO schools...

This is not a 2 year wait... It's a career forever. At least 20 years for you to pay off your loans.... If it takes an extra year or two to retake the classes you did poorly on, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Plus, you make your application more competitive to get into the better DO schools...

Yea I hear you. I also get to enjoy my 20's a little longer and will probably get into a better school. I am just down on the whole thing because I live at home. I know there are some of you out there that understand where I am coming from with this. I..need...OUT

I'm not gonna lie, the entire time I was reading your post, all I could think of was how troll like it sounded lol. However, it seems as though you're for real, so I'll respond. First, as someone said, schools often do send secondaries without screening, just for money purposes. DO schools do this as well- how many did you apply to? Second, it's true...most MD schools really aren't going to give you a chance I'm betting, despite that great MCAT. Third, I always thought it was understood that if you have questionable trends (really high MCAT, but low GPA or vice versa) in your numbers, the personal statement can, and probably should, be used to address that. I had strange numbers too and wrote my personal statement to include it. At this point, I would say you really need to get that GPA enough to do a post-bacc program. If you do a Master's of some sort with solid performance, you really shouldn't have a problem getting in. I say this confidently because while my MCAT wasn't quite as good as yours, my individual GPAs weren't that much greater...and I got in with some Master's work.

As a person who was once in your shoes, you need to be realistic in your expectations. The way it stands, your sGPA is sub-par. This is something that you need to fix. The schools, while they understand that things happen that can affect grades, are also getting applications from people who have a more competitive application than yours.

There are a couple of things that you can do at this point.
1) You can continue with your application process and hope that you get a chance to explain yourself in an interview. But this is risky and very expensive.
2) Decide that you need to improve your credentials and save your money for a time when you are in a better position. While this may not be the shortest route, it is the one with much more success than the first. I was in your position as I stated and it took me a great deal of time to dig out of my hole and get into medical school.

Good Luck

Really thought this thread was about a different kind of "cut-offs". Figured we'd have a lively discussion about the harsh reality of being a nevernude

nevernude.jpg

GraceEuphoria what type of Masters work did you do??
I have similar stats as the above (3.05 cgpa, lower end science gpa, upward trend in undergrad (last 2 years were 3.5-3.6) but i have a very high GPA (3.8 in my MA in health/environmental policy). I thought for sure I would have to go back and do 2 more years of postbac to bring up my marks/redo some prereqs before applying to DO school OR do an SMP but I am intrigued by your post. Also, I am a Canadian student. Any info for me would be most appreciated!

I'm not gonna lie, the entire time I was reading your post, all I could think of was how troll like it sounded lol. However, it seems as though you're for real, so I'll respond. First, as someone said, schools often do send secondaries without screening, just for money purposes. DO schools do this as well- how many did you apply to? Second, it's true...most MD schools really aren't going to give you a chance I'm betting, despite that great MCAT. Third, I always thought it was understood that if you have questionable trends (really high MCAT, but low GPA or vice versa) in your numbers, the personal statement can, and probably should, be used to address that. I had strange numbers too and wrote my personal statement to include it. At this point, I would say you really need to get that GPA enough to do a post-bacc program. If you do a Master's of some sort with solid performance, you really shouldn't have a problem getting in. I say this confidently because while my MCAT wasn't quite as good as yours, my individual GPAs weren't that much greater...and I got in with some Master's work.

Personally? Drop all MD secondaries. If you can't get a DO secondary, you can't get into allopathic. It's that simple.

I have fee assistance, plenty of time, and not one to give up so I am still going to go through with the secondaries..Thank you for motivating me more. I already submitted 12 and it is not unheard of that someone with a low GPA be given an interview, especially if that someone has a couple connections;).

I understand GPA is a HUGE factor in the decision, but everything else on my app is really solid and hopefully the adcoms will take notice to that and look past my GPA. In reality 19/20 adcoms will wipe their ass with my app and 1/20 will use it as a coaster. So since I am applying to 28 MD and 7 DO I hope someone reaches out.

My GPA was badly affected by both my parents passing away sophomore year from cancer/heart attack so you can imagine it was very difficult. I did an extra year, but my last two years my GPA was 3.7 and 3.9 so it shows that I am fully capable of doing well.

here are some of my stats:

-Major: Chemistry Minor: Jazz Studies
-cGPA:3.0 <--strong upward trend
-sGPA:2.6
-MCAT: bio:12 ps: 11 vr: 10
-200+ hours shadowing ENT, plastic surgeon, cardiologist, psych, family practitioner, and soon DO
-worked 3.5 years through college at online settlement firm and managed a huge contract handling all NYC personal injury cases.
-1 year orgo chem research, helped developed b-blockers
-1 year and currently Research Coordinator at NYU, doing 2 clinical studies
-2 publication pending with AHA
-1 year volunteer setting up health fairs all over NYC providing free health screenings to underserved communities
-EMT certified(did not work as EMT though)
-2.5 years in touring rock band, played all over east coast with renowned bands and played at Kennedy center
-2 years jazz bass/guitar instructor

I appreciate all of your responses!!

GraceEuphoria what type of Masters work did you do??
I have similar stats as the above (3.05 cgpa, lower end science gpa, upward trend in undergrad (last 2 years were 3.5-3.6) but i have a very high GPA (3.8 in my MA in health/environmental policy). I thought for sure I would have to go back and do 2 more years of postbac to bring up my marks/redo some prereqs before applying to DO school OR do an SMP but I am intrigued by your post. Also, I am a Canadian student. Any info for me would be most appreciated!

Yo post in the Canadian thread, you will get a ton of responses, We know what schools you can apply to and what ones you have a chance at (different than if you were american obviously)

Personally? Drop all MD secondaries. If you can't get a DO secondary, you can't get into allopathic. It's that simple.

Honestly, I would probably do the same. Even if OP is lucky enough to get an interview, I just don't see anything coming out of it.

Take EMT2ER-DOC's advice (#2). Seriously, this process is too expensive to be playing with such a low probability.

Patience is a virtue (which I admittedly don't have).

I understand but the money is not a problem for me.

According to the acceptance charts I have a 45% chance with my MCAT and cumulative GPA. I understand that my sGPA is lower then that and will affect me a great deal. But there is no reason to drop my applications and stop what I am doing. It only makes sense to try as hard as I can every cycle. For anyone else, even if there is a slight chance of getting in why wouldn't you try. So with my sGPA say my chance drop to 20-30%..thats still 1/5 people in my position are accepted. I applied to 27 MD and 7 DO so we shall see. The odds are against me and it is more likely that I do not get an interview anywhere but I am willing to risk time/money/stress for that slight possibility.

I understand but the money is not a problem for me.

According to the acceptance charts I have a 45% chance with my MCAT and cumulative GPA. I understand that my sGPA is lower then that and will affect me a great deal. But there is no reason to drop my applications and stop what I am doing. It only makes sense to try as hard as I can every cycle. For anyone else, even if there is a slight chance of getting in why wouldn't you try. So with my sGPA say my chance drop to 20-30%..thats still 1/5 people in my position are accepted. I applied to 27 MD and 7 DO so we shall see. The odds are against me and it is more likely that I do not get an interview anywhere but I am willing to risk time/money/stress for that slight possibility.

According to a more accurate analysis ( Using Sector's data) with your Cgpa you've got less than a 40% chance and with your Sgpa I can guarantee that your chance of acceptance is likely lower than 20%. But go ahead and finish the secondaries, you've got nothing to lose if only pride.

With a gpa that low, you're wasting your time and $ applying to MD schools, and you should wait a year in applying to DO schools. The key thing is to boost that GPA. With a 3.3 and that 33 MCAT, you'll be fine with any DO school.

According to a more accurate analysis ( Using Sector's data) with your Cgpa you've got less than a 40% chance and with your Sgpa I can guarantee that your chance of acceptance is likely lower than 20%. But go ahead and finish the secondaries, you've got nothing to lose if only pride.

I agree.

The sGPA will probably keep you out. Schools *MAY* be more forgiving considering your ballin MCAT score, I doubt it.

Also, I know money may not be an issue, but $50-100 a pop on secondaries adds up fast; especially if you are applying to >30 schools.

More power to you for trying, but I definitely wouldn't be going into this expecting anything.

Ok thank you!

So registering for classes..should I just forget MD and do grade replacement for DO? If I replace a couple 4 credit C's with A's that would do wonders for my GPA. I really want MD and I know that grade replacement is bad but I know that my chances are very low with MD already. So just retake physics, orgo, and maybe take a couple extra bio courses and I should be good to go on my DO journey.

Ok thank you!

So registering for classes..should I just forget MD and do grade replacement for DO? If I replace a couple 4 credit C's with A's that would do wonders for my GPA. I really want MD and I know that grade replacement is bad but I know that my chances are very low with MD already. So just retake physics, orgo, and maybe take a couple extra bio courses and I should be good to go on my DO journey.

If your MD BCPM ( Differs from DO Sgpa in that it includes Math) is not above a 2.75 I'd recommend avoiding MD schools completely. However, if it is and you want to MD, then I highly recommend applying to SMP's ( Right now).

If your MD BCPM ( Differs from DO Sgpa in that it includes Math) is not above a 2.75 I'd recommend avoiding MD schools completely. However, if it is and you want to MD, then I highly recommend applying to SMP's ( Right now).

I can't commit to one of those programs..I have a job and do not live near an institution that has one. I can only take register in courses at local colleges..for me that is CUNY(very cheap). I am planning on taking 3 courses this fall..maybe 4 if I can schedule well. Then another 3-4 in the spring. I guess over winter break retake a lower level science that I did poorly in the past. It will be an tough but I will do it...and hopefully before my MCAT expires:eek:

I can't commit to one of those programs..I have a job and do not live near an institution that has one. I can only take register in courses at local colleges..for me that is CUNY(very cheap). I am planning on taking 3 courses this fall..maybe 4 if I can schedule well. Then another 3-4 in the spring. I guess over winter break retake a lower level science that I did poorly in the past. It will be an tough but I will do it...and hopefully before my MCAT expires:eek:

Then forget about MD. An SMP is the only way you'll be competitive for an MD program.

I have fee assistance, plenty of time, and not one to give up so I am still going to go through with the secondaries..Thank you for motivating me more.
I'm not trying to discourage you. You have some beautiful EC work, but the fact that all DOs have refused to send secondaries is a clear message that this is not the application season to play in. If it's free, go for it. Otherwise, it would be best to become a stronger applicant.

Then forget about MD. An SMP is the only way you'll be competitive for an MD program.
I agree with this statement. A 2.6 sGPA cannot be overcome by pure MCAT or EC alone. It's slowly become the case that to have the minimum chance at MD you need at least a c3.4/s3.3/30 and c3.2/s3.1/25 for Osteopathic. Of course, there can be crazy MD combos like c3.2/s3.8/31 that get in, but that's not the story here.

I agree with this statement. A 2.6 sGPA cannot be overcome by pure MCAT or EC alone. It's slowly become the case that to have the minimum chance at MD you need at least a c3.4/s3.3/30 and c3.2/s3.1/25 for Osteopathic. Of course, there can be crazy MD combos like c3.2/s3.8/31 that get in, but that's not the story here.

Triage, I wasn't even sent a secondary from KCUMB because I don't meet their criteria. My DO stats: s3.18/c3.18/26, their stats: c3.55/s3.51/26. My last PB 80 credit hours are c3.85/s3.93.... Sooooo, I can't say that even the stats you posted are enough... however, I'm hoping they are... actually praying/begging the universe/etc... However, if I don't get in this cycle, I'm going straight to SMP/MS program next year. I've already done enough PBUG work. If it's not enough right now, it's not going to be enough with another 20 credits.

OP, my ECs (for comparison) ~6000 volunteer hours, includes medical volunteering, general volunteering, and community service. MD and DO letters, and excellent science prof letters. I work in Biotech research, and have for 12 years. I also have my EMT cert. Soooo, you're going up against people with better stats, and I'm guessing the reason you got the MD secondaries is because they didn't screen. Most of the DO schools cut off at 2.75-3.0, a couple are 2.5.... but really, they probably won't consider you unless you get the GPA up. Also, being a reapplicant is usually bad. The fact that you will now have applied to all these MD schools means the next time you apply you have to explain the SIGNIFICANT improvement in your application. You also made a comment about 'every cycle' please be careful with this. Some schools have a limit to the number of times you can apply in your LIFETIME... don't blow it when you don't have a chance...

Ok thank you!

Which one? You want to be an MD but you think you can DO? It appears that you are using the DO profession as a backup and the radar for this among the DO schools is pretty well tuned. Decide what you want to do before you do it. You have been given advice. Take it or leave it, you are an adult.

So you come here asking for opinions and advice and, when we tell you what you didn't want to hear, you reject us. Look, the other posters are right. You're wasting your time with your bad GPAs. I know you want to do it and do it NOW, but if you want a shot at DO, you need to get the GPA up. MD's a stretch for you, especially with such a low cGPA(which won't be reasonable to bring up with 120+ credits to your name). DO is your best bet because of the grade replacement, but if you're looking at DO as little more than a backup, the schools may pick up on that and reject you.

So you come here asking for opinions and advice and, when we tell you what you didn't want to hear, you reject us. Look, the other posters are right. You're wasting your time with your bad GPAs. I know you want to do it and do it NOW, but if you want a shot at DO, you need to get the GPA up. MD's a stretch for you, especially with such a low cGPA(which won't be reasonable to bring up with 120+ credits to your name). DO is your best bet because of the grade replacement, but if you're looking at DO as little more than a backup, the schools may pick up on that and reject you.
I also just noticed he said he's applying to 28 MD colleges. There's no way he's getting that for free. Talk about wasting money.

Triage, I wasn't even sent a secondary from KCUMB because I don't meet their criteria. My DO stats: s3.18/c3.18/26, their stats: c3.55/s3.51/26. My last PB 80 credit hours are c3.85/s3.93.... Sooooo, I can't say that even the stats you posted are enough... however, I'm hoping they are... actually praying/begging the universe/etc... However, if I don't get in this cycle, I'm going straight to SMP/MS program next year. I've already done enough PBUG work. If it's not enough right now, it's not going to be enough with another 20 credits.
You bring up an excellent point. Although I mentioned a minimum, it's based on the DO averages when in reality it's very school dependent.

I hope they reject him on that fact alone. I get it that people apply to DO as a backup, but people who openly say that dont deserve an acceptance. Also by openly saying DO is a backup, it is a slap in the face to the people who actually want to go DO.

But yes as people said, your GPA is way too low at the moment. I would be very very shocked if an MD school even offered an interview at this point (unless the school doesnt screen before the interview, or if paying the secondary fee automatically gets you an interview). Save your money and spend it on retaking your worst science classes. Take an SMP too

OP, six months ago I had a 2.5 sGPA and I have been able to raise it in two semesters to a 3.2 simply by retaking a few classes. I don't know if you even need an SMP. Good luck.

I hope they reject him on that fact alone. I get it that people apply to DO as a backup, but people who openly say that dont deserve an acceptance. Also by openly saying DO is a backup, it is a slap in the face to the people who actually want to go DO.

But yes as people said, your GPA is way too low at the moment. I would be very very shocked if an MD school even offered an interview at this point (unless the school doesnt screen before the interview, or if paying the secondary fee automatically gets you an interview). Save your money and spend it on retaking your worst science classes. Take an SMP too

I don't think he's openly saying DO is a back up, but rather that he'd prefer an MD. Which to some might seem the same, is not exactly the same thing. Someone who see's DO as a back up is the one who only on their third cycle applies to DO schools and considers it below him/her.

Really thought this thread was about a different kind of "cut-offs". Figured we'd have a lively discussion about the harsh reality of being a nevernude

nevernude.jpg
It's a big problem, there are literally TENs of us!

First, I am not rejecting any of your advice I am just saying there are scenarios, though rare, where people with low gpa get in and I'm just hoping to get in. My gpa situation will be the killer but we shall see what happens. I am going to take courses during the fall and spring. With grade replacement I can increase my gpa no problem for DO app. To boost my app for next cycle I will also have done at least two clinical trials, 3-4 publications, and starting nonprofit org for the hospital I work in.

I am absolutely not using DO as a backup. I want to get into medical school and that's it. I prefer MD because of the residency placements. I hate when people view a DO as not a real doctor. Ignorance is prettayyy annoying. If it came down to a DO acceptance and an MD, I would disregard the title and choose the best program for me. BEing realistic about the whole situation, I should just concentrate on DO and boost my gpa by retaking some courses and taking additional courses. Though not a backup, it IS easier to get into.

I prefer MD because of the residency placements..............Though not a backup, it IS easier to get into.

I am sorry, but this is very ignorant of you. It is pretty pre-medy to think that getting into a DO school is easy. It is not easy. There are fewer seats available and statistically more people vying for them.

I still feel that you are using DO as a backup and you said it again, you prefer MD. If you were applying to my school, I would not accept you for this reason alone.