Dangerous Medical Schools

Started by Eric Lindros
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Most medical schools are in crappy parts of town, except stanford and UF, the only ones that come to mind right now (there are probably a few more. It's something you have to deal with. Just be smart, don't wander around aimlessly more than a block away from the safe nucleus of the school, and pay attention to your surroundings. Avoid staying around until midnight if you can avoid it. Don't walk around wearing tons of jewelry and shiny things. Shiny things attract criminals. If you feel the need to wear it, put it away in your bag before you leave campus, get on the subway, walk through the ghetto, etc. Travel with others if possible. Also always pay attention to your surroundings....don't wander around with your ipod at full blast and eyes half closed singing along with your favorite song or something. If you are going to get attacked, you want to at least see the bastard coming your way before he's right on you. That way you can fight him and destroy him if necessary or run if he's bigger and better armed, whichever may apply.

Ok, now seriously, just use common street sense. No need to limit your schools applied to because of fear of being assaulted.
 
I wasn't suggestiong that the issue is black and white, simply that allowing this to play a huge factor in your decision would exclude plenty of great schools. I've had experiences living in both urban and suburban areas: Ann Arbor, MI born and raised, 4 years in New Haven for undergrad, and I've been living in Philly for almost 3. While I'm aware of the ridiculous murder/crime rates in Philly, it hasn't had a negative impact on my experience here.

The crime rate in areas where you can live around a med school is a very important factor if, for instance, you are trying to raise a family at the same time. So yes, I definitely want a suburban area. If it means sacrificing a little experience with unusual trauma victims, so be it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most medical schools are in crappy parts of town, except stanford and UF, the only ones that come to mind right now (there are probably a few more. It's something you have to deal with. Just be smart, don't wander around aimlessly more than a block away from the safe nucleus of the school, and pay attention to your surroundings. Avoid staying around until midnight if you can avoid it. Don't walk around wearing tons of jewelry and shiny things. Shiny things attract criminals. If you feel the need to wear it, put it away in your bag before you leave campus, get on the subway, walk through the ghetto, etc. Travel with others if possible. Also always pay attention to your surroundings....don't wander around with your ipod at full blast and eyes half closed singing along with your favorite song or something. If you are going to get attacked, you want to at least see the bastard coming your way before he's right on you. That way you can fight him and destroy him if necessary or run if he's bigger and better armed, whichever may apply.

Ok, now seriously, just use common street sense. No need to limit your schools applied to because of fear of being assaulted.

This advice is good advice.... however, it doesn't really help the women who were raped at the bus stop (mentioned at a previous post). Women definitely have more to lose with this issue and also are less equipped to handle the situation if it arrises (usually slower and weaker, less likely to be able to fight back).
Obviously walking in groups would help prevent the above scenerio, but there are not always people available to walk with.
 
Here is a list of the top 25 most dangerous cities:
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit06pop.htm

Top 5 are Camden, Detroit, St Louis, Flint and Richmond VA

Med schools in these cities: Robert wood, Wayne State, Wash U and MCV/VCU

RWJMS is not entirely accurate. Some students do some of their 3rd/4th rotations at Cooper Hospital in Camden, but are not there all 4 years.
 
I worked at Parkland and Children's in Dallas. I would go in on the train at 6 am or get off late at night and walk out of Parkland's emergency entrance to the train station or parking lot and never once got jacked. Of course, I wasn't stupid enough to walk out by myself.

Don't go tooling around UTSW by yourself at night and you'll be fine.

Dallas is not so bad if you live in a decent neighborhood. My car never got broken into (and I had a bad habit of forgetting to lock the door) My laundry was never stolen. My house/apartment was never broken into.

I did, however, almost get jacked walking home from the Walgreen's KEARNEY NEBRASKA !
 
Come on guys. The bars I goto are in the seediest parts of town, the pool halls have fights break out all the time (not as much anymore, pretty low key nowadays, used to be great) and the places I go to relax are downtown in the pretty dimly lit areas. Nothing has ever happened to me. Know what you are doing, do not look like a scared target, and know how to defend yourself. Cannot live in fear of your environment.
 
Here is a list of the top 25 most dangerous cities:
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit06pop.htm

Top 5 are Camden, Detroit, St Louis, Flint and Richmond VA

Med schools in these cities: Robert wood, Wayne State, Wash U and MCV/VCU

I was born and raised in the inner city of Detroit, a "Top 5 most dangerous city." Not once in my life have I been robbed, raped, physically assaulted, shot, stabbed, and obviously murdered, and I do not feel the need to walk around armed. These "ghettos" that many of you are referring to are homes to real people who are trying to earn honest livings in places where crime rates just so happen to be high. Most of the violent crimes occur between individuals who participate in illegal activity. Although crimes are much smaller in quantity, some of the most heinous and viscious crimes occur in suburban areas. Please do not let the media fool you. So unless you plan on seeking out your local weed salesman or are just careless with no street smarts, you will be fine.
 
http://http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl021607khsextuple.5d4a35b.html
as per usual, premeds have no insight into current events and situational awareness.

NEW ORLEANS is by far the most dangerous/lawless city in America, has been and always will be. tulane and lsu are clearly the most dangerous medical schools in the country. but of course, both schools are very adept at smoking mirrors and scapegoating their inherent local institutional dysfunctions by blaming katrina.

nonetheless, if you are rich and oblivious, then there's no need to worry.
 
Frankly, Im surprised no one mentioned Tulane as of yet, up until this point. I do hear dangerous things about the school but I'm no stranger to crime (I live in Newark, NJ and Cincinnati, OH now). I dont think the crime thing really deterred me from applying to there as long as you just mind your own business. I think the major issue is not involving yourself with the wrong type of people, as in, if you're not whoring yourself on the corners, or dealing drugs or buying drugs or walking home late at night waving around your "bling", you should be fine. Street smarts does more than you know. I dont think a city's surroundings should affect decisions too much as long as you know how to take care of yourself and how to be mindful of your surroundings; I'll be inclined to look over my shoulder and stay away from dark alleys in both safe and dangerous neighborhoods.
 
http://http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl021607khsextuple.5d4a35b.html
as per usual, premeds have no insight into current events and situational awareness.

NEW ORLEANS is by far the most dangerous/lawless city in America, has been and always will be. tulane and lsu are clearly the most dangerous medical schools in the country. but of course, both schools are very adept at smoking mirrors and scapegoating their inherent local institutional dysfunctions by blaming katrina.

nonetheless, if you are rich and oblivious, then there's no need to worry.
What a shame the hurricane didn't wipe that city completely off the map so we could start over above sea level.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol...don't forget your promise with your flight license.
Yes, yes.....just remember, when I land you have to be ready to come up to the plane running.....I'm not coming to a full stop. Do you have any idea how much a set of hubcaps for a Cessna cost? :meanie: I'm not about to get planejacked by the homeboys.
 
I think it would be more dangerous (in terms of cannibalism) living in an obese city if theres a food shortage. :meanie: :laugh: J/k

I am pretty sure the crime rate in Hawaii is 0% since Dwayne "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman takes care of all the problems.
 
temple univ also has the second largest police force in the state.
it's actually a pretty safe area because of that. plus, their buildings have huge huge huge flood lights so the entire area around the hospital, buildings/schools is completely lit. just stay on north broad and u'll be fine!

You sure about that? I was under the impression that Penn had the second largest police force in the state. Kinda makes more sense since Penn does border West Philly and all. Not saying Temple isn't more dangerous, just that Penn kids tend to cry about crime a lot more plus some have rich, alumni parents, so a big police force just happens.
 
I think it would be more dangerous (in terms of cannibalism) living in an obese city if theres a food shortage. :meanie: :laugh: J/k

MI is the second most obese state in the country. This is another reason MI schools are unsafe.

Obese people---bad economy(Pfizer is leaving and the car companies are not doing so hot)---leads to food shortage and med students are no longer safe 😱

not to mention Detroit being...well, Detroit and the bike theft problem in Ann Arbor.

:laugh: :laugh:
 
I am pretty sure the crime rate in Hawaii is 0% since Dwayne "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman takes care of all the problems.

I thought he was still in a Mexican prisión? :meanie:

"Jesus loves you brother!"
 
some of the most heinous and viscious crimes occur in suburban areas


Agreed....but for some reason when I read this, I couldn't help but think of something I heard a few years back:
Chris Rock said:
If you hear about them drinking the blood or cutting the toes off to play pool with, chances are that was a white guy. Little old lady pushed down a flight of stairs for a welfare check? Black guy.
 
East Tennessee State U (Quillen) is seriously the worst campus location ever. It's Hopkins X 10.
 
East Tennessee State U (Quillen) is seriously the worst campus location ever. It's Hopkins X 10.

haha....watch out for the roving gangs of cows and crickets. They are really nasty.


The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :meanie:

sorry...im calling bs on this one...
 
You sure about that? I was under the impression that Penn had the second largest police force in the state. Kinda makes more sense since Penn does border West Philly and all. Not saying Temple isn't more dangerous, just that Penn kids tend to cry about crime a lot more plus some have rich, alumni parents, so a big police force just happens.

lol. yeah the area around penn really isn't that bad, considering it's mostly students, and campus police are posted everywhere. although that didnt stop the screwdriver guy from scaring people last semester. (a guy ran around just off the western border of campus, mugging people by screwdriver point. it sounds pretty amusing but i guess if you can't see you don't know if it's a screwdriver or something worse)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was born and raised in the inner city of Detroit, a "Top 5 most dangerous city." Not once in my life have I been robbed, raped, physically assaulted, shot, stabbed, and obviously murdered, and I do not feel the need to walk around armed. These "ghettos" that many of you are referring to are homes to real people who are trying to earn honest livings in places where crime rates just so happen to be high. Most of the violent crimes occur between individuals who participate in illegal activity. Although crimes are much smaller in quantity, some of the most heinous and viscious crimes occur in suburban areas. Please do not let the media fool you. So unless you plan on seeking out your local weed salesman or are just careless with no street smarts, you will be fine.

Detroit in 2004:

Murders: 354
Rapes: 589
Robberies: 6820
Aggravated Assaults: 13,477

Now, you have a good point about crimes being between shady characters, but the numbers don't lie. And you are totally out of touch if you don't think living in these areas puts you at risk of any of these, ESPECIALLY armed robbery. I alone have known a few students who have gotten mugged and I know I'm not the only one.
 
Agreed....but for some reason when I read this, I couldn't help but think of something I heard a few years back:

Sometimes I wish you were wrong {Chris Rock thing} ...

I live in Austin, Texas which is about as safe as you can get (as long as you don't mind your car stolen every now and then -- the 14 yo criminals only steal barely running student cars, never expensive ones :laugh: ).

Anyway, here was a high-profile case:

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/stories/08/28cave.html

"Sharon Cave and her boyfriend, Jim Sedwick, drove to Austin. Sedwick found Jennifer Cave's body Aug. 18 in the bathtub of University of Texas student Colton Pitonyak's apartment on Rio Grande Street near campus. The body had been mutilated. {decapitated, multiple stab wounds, head shot after death}" Colton was a UT Austin honor student turned drug gansta.

Stay away from the druggies, and your chances improve.

That being said, my mom was punched by a guy trying to rob her in Dallas (she yelled fought with the guy for her purse and he ran away eventually), and there are numerous examples of people having their homes burglarized. I'm not suggesting that Houston metro (where I'm headed) is a friendlier place -- one of the project managers where I worked there a while back couldn't make it to work one day because he was shot to death in his driveway in a nice suburban neighborhood as part of a carjacking/robbery. Also, thank you New Orleans for all our new neighbors! We love you all, but wish that some of your gangsters and drug dealers would have stayed home (making the NO - Hou drug run doesn't count).
 
one of the project managers where I worked there a while back couldn't make it to work one day because he was shot to death in his driveway in a nice suburban neighborhood as part of a carjacking/robbery.

Lol, not to be morbid, but I think getting shot dead is a pretty good reason that he couldn't make it to work lol.
 
Lol, not to be morbid, but I think getting shot dead is a pretty good reason that he couldn't make it to work lol.

That's the one reason that PD's will probably take for a resident not showing up for call of duty at TMC .... :scared:

Then again, you'll probably be showing up at work after all, and it'll be the one time you can park right in front of (or on top of) the trauma center without anyone complaining ... :scared:
 
Having done my 4 years of undergrad at Hopkins (which is in a safer neighborhood than the medical school, by far), I can tell you that thugs will target students... we carry ipods, laptops, cash, whatever else. It's easy to spot naive people in a new city. They also target houses where students live, and rob them during vacations (there go the tv, computer, stereo, jewels, clothes, socks - I'm not kidding. socks.).

Granted, this was undergrad, but I've got way too many horror stories from college. Point is, be safe. Lock your doors, drive if you can, make friends with security guards. There are always people trying to take advantage of you.
 
Granted, this was undergrad, but I've got way too many horror stories from college. Point is, be safe. Lock your doors, drive if you can, make friends with security guards. There are always people trying to take advantage of you.

👍 Street smarts folks, if you can make it home before dark, do so, if you know you're staying late, dont take anything thats worth something. Or if nothing else works, dont shower for weeks, wear a smelly ratty jacket, and just start speaking crazy, that might ward off criminals-that-be. Lol JP, but just stay on your toes and know your surroundings
 
👍 Street smarts folks, if you can make it home before dark, do so, if you know you're staying late, dont take anything thats worth something. Or if nothing else works, dont shower for weeks, wear a smelly ratty jacket, and just start speaking crazy, that might ward off criminals-that-be. Lol JP, but just stay on your toes and know your surroundings

and learn jujitsu
 
I'm not sure what's going on here... are we picking schools based on the possibility that at one, we may have our wallet taken at some point? You're more likely to stick yourself with an infected needle doing rotations.

You need paxil if this is your biggest concern. Seriously.
 
Man, I'm spending my undergrad years in NYC, and I travel to DC, Philly, and Baltimore on a regular basis. I'm not scared of any city. 😴 I walk everywhere, travel by Greyhound and public transit.. Heh, I almost enjoy being poor as dirt. 😎

I'm just crazy, people don't intimidate me anymore. Nutty homeless people just make me laugh. The other day in the subway, I saw a guy in swimming trunks, a Santa hat, with a tattered blanket tied around his shoulders and a cardboard sign hung around his neck that said "Merry Christmas," trying to sell people some old pants out of a rolling garbage can. Guy was kinda cool, I thought. :laugh:

I love cities, so I'd rather deal with the possibility of being assulted than live in the middle of nowhere and deal with the possibility of having to drive an hour to see another human being... But that's just me. 😉
 
this whole thread sheds a negative light on the US cities in general. I'm proud to say that no canadian's check for the crime rate of a city before matriculating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man, I'm spending my undergrad years in NYC, and I travel to DC, Philly, and Baltimore on a regular basis. I'm not scared of any city. 😴 I walk everywhere, travel by Greyhound and public transit.. Heh, I almost enjoy being poor as dirt. 😎

I'm just crazy, people don't intimidate me anymore. Nutty homeless people just make me laugh. The other day in the subway, I saw a guy in swimming trunks, a Santa hat, with a tattered blanket tied around his shoulders and a cardboard sign hung around his neck that said "Merry Christmas," trying to sell people some old pants out of a rolling garbage can. Guy was kinda cool, I thought. :laugh:

I love cities, so I'd rather deal with the possibility of being assulted than live in the middle of nowhere and deal with the possibility of having to drive an hour to see another human being... But that's just me. 😉

Cities are dirty and can be dangerous. The air is polluted and unhealthy. Crime rates are high. If you like living in a city, good for you... but if you got mugged or if your car/apartment was broken into, you'd be pretty pissed off. I'll take my chances living in suburbia when I'm done with my medical training.

I sympathize with the OP and feel his concerns are valid.
 
Nowhere in my original post did I mention that I was chosing a medical school based on crime, despite what some people have mentioned. I am simply curious and concerend - that's all.
 
Nowhere in my original post did I mention that I was chosing a medical school based on crime, despite what some people have mentioned. I am simply curious and concerend - that's all.

Nor did "some people" contend that anything was directed at you, even though you started this garbage.
 
CUDenver is moving their medical school next year to the Fitzsimmons medical center..........located smack dab in the middle of Aurora, Colorado. Let's just say they rent hotels by the hour there.
 
The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :meanie:

uh, what were you doing with his wallet?