Dangerous Medical Schools

Started by Eric Lindros
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really, just as everyone else has said, you need to exercise common sense -- just walk around in a large group of people, stay alert, use your gut, try to stay near crowded and well-lit areas, etc.

See, thats the thing. There are places (I grew up in one) where you can go anywhere at any time, by yourself, and have no worries about it.

I go to school somewhere that has a decent crime problem, with frequent student muggings. The difference sucks.

Who wants to find a big posse of friends any time they want to go down the street, or take an extra long route to find a more populated/well lit area? Not me.
 
The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :meanie:

I wish it was possible to get a carry/conceal permit in NYC. It seems that the only people carrying weapons, concealed or not, are the cops and the criminals. Unfortunately the former never seem to be around when the latter are. I guess writing parking tickets is more important but hey...it is a souce of nearly 1 billion dollars in revenue.:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rudy Giuliani did a pretty good job of cleaning up house and bloomberg maintaining it. Rememeber in home alone 2, when kevin is out near central park or in other scenes in NYC it was filled with porn shops and hookers and bums and whatnot, thats pretty much what it was like around the Gerald Ford days when NYC filed for bankruptcy. After Giuliani cleaned up and made sex shops illegal, and cracked down, the city became alot safer and to this day. I can honestly only think of a very few places where you may be in trouble if you're walking there late home one night, but even then in comparison to other places, it may be safe. You'll have to actively look for trouble to find it in NYC rather than it finding you.

Forget Ford....Dinkins was the worst.
 
Having both lived in St. Louis city and many suburbs in my life, I find people really forget the frequency of petty crime that occurs in the suburbs that goes unreported (stealing of Christmas yard decorations, vandalism) or no one catches (drunk driving, driving while high, etc). Frankly, I was more afraid to drive somewhere at night in the suburbs when I knew there were drunk drivers everywhere. I've never heard of a drunk driving incident in St. Louis city and I've heard of a billion in a suburb in FL where I used to live. Mainly teenagers that kill themselves or someone else in the process because they had nothing better to do than drink.

Hospitals in general should be safer than their surrounding area. They should have securty to get into the emergency room, police officers on constant patrol, evenly spaced lit phones that call the hospital patrol, and informed workers who are active in reporting suspicious behavior. Really, you shouldn't be walking around the periphery of the hospital at night to get a drink or something. Why is this such an inconvenience? Everything you need should be in the hospital. A lot of hospitals in the city are completly connected by tunnels or catwalks. Why choose to go outside to walk to your destination? These tunnels are actually built for convenience--no heat, no cold! And why is it such an inconvenience to not live 5 minutes from the school? In most cases there will be more to do in a nice, fun area of the city than w/in 5 minutes of both the suburb hospital and the city hospital.

Oh, and for all you nice, compassionate suburbinites... don't give bums money. 😀 This WILL keep them around your hospital, WILL stop decent people from moving into the area, and eventually WILL raise crime.
 
...frequency of petty crime that occurs in the suburbs that goes unreported (stealing of Christmas yard decorations, vandalism) or no one catches (drunk driving, driving while high, etc). Frankly, I was more afraid to drive somewhere at night in the suburbs when I knew there were drunk drivers everywhere.

Hospitals in general should be safer than their surrounding area. They should have securty to get into the emergency room, police officers on constant patrol, evenly spaced lit phones that call the hospital patrol, and informed workers who are active in reporting suspicious behavior. Really, you shouldn't be walking around the periphery of the hospital at night to get a drink or something. Why is this such an inconvenience? Everything you need should be in the hospital.

I'll spot you the drunk drivers, but I'm not sure anyone here is worried about petty crimes. Theft, etc. is the problem. And it doesn't matter how safe the walls of the hospital keep you. You still have to walk outside to get to your car, and you still have to drive through the sketchy neighborhhods to get home, or get on your preferred method of public transportation.

I'd rather not worry about my car getting broken into while I'm on an overnight shift.
 
What about the stress level associated with the school and what systems schools put in place to assist students?

One thing that is rarely talked about is the number of suicides committed by medical students...


Yes u r right. The suicidal rate is twice the drop out rate.
 
Yeah I am definitely buying some kind of protection.

And yeah, nothing irks me more than the old "oh the poor poor people" thing. I'm talking about crime, not poverty. Yes, they often go hand in hand but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. Sorry, but I just do no feel bad for the bastard that sticks me up at night for my wallet.
.


But poverty and crime are related.
 
I wish it was possible to get a carry/conceal permit in NYC. It seems that the only people carrying weapons, concealed or not, are the cops and the criminals. Unfortunately the former never seem to be around when the latter are. I guess writing parking tickets is more important but hey...it is a souce of nearly 1 billion dollars in revenue.:laugh:
That what I used to want to be able to have, until I realized that if you ever actually bothered to take your gun out, the NYPD would probably put 95 bullets in you and not the criminal you pulled it on, lol.

So...it's a terrible idea to have a gun in NYC, because you'd probably just end up being shot by the cops repeatedly lol.
 
That what I used to want to be able to have, until I realized that if you ever actually bothered to take your gun out, the NYPD would probably put 95 bullets in you and not the criminal you pulled it on, lol.

So...it's a terrible idea to have a gun in NYC, because you'd probably just end up being shot by the cops repeatedly lol.
Forget even having a gun, having a dark wallet is good enough to get you riddled with bullets. Lesson: Get a white colored wallet, or a pink one, no one carries around guns that are these colors.
 
Forget even having a gun, having a dark wallet is good enough to get you riddled with bullets. Lesson: Get a white colored wallet, or a pink one, no one carries around guns that are these colors.

lol, yeah I was going to mention how I'm always careful about how quickly I whip out the wallet, just in case there are trigger happy officers around. I try to jostle a little and fumble through my keys for good measure if it's in public by the cops.

It's kinda sad that I'm only half-joking 😕 And it's probably only half a joke because I'm asian, I'm pretty sure if I was darker skinned I'd actually be uber-paranoid about this.

It'd be funny if you bought a pink colored wallet, and all that ends up happening is that the cops think "HOLY CRAP HE HAS A PINK GUN!" That would be fairly hilarious (and tragic, but hilariously tragic).
 
Yea, perhaps, but how many innocent bystanders (including innocent children) get killed by a stray bullet?


I worked in Detroit near the Ambassador Bridge (SW) for a logistics company and we had a cop killed behind our building. He had been on a call the previous evening and came back during the day to try to find his flashlight that he lost.

Sure there are a lot of decent people there but there are also plenty of opportunists lurking around who would kill you in a second for your money or car.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked in Detroit near the Ambassador Bridge (SW) for a logistics company and we had a cop killed behind our building. He had been on a call the previous evening and came back during the day to try to find his flashlight that he lost.

Sure there are a lot of decent people there but there are also plenty of opportunists lurking around who would kill you in a second for your money or car.

You probably wouldn't know this because you just worked there and not lived there but in Detroit, the cops are just as crooked as the criminals, they just have badges.
 
Some people say COP is just an acronym for Crooks On Patrol. It wouldn't suprise me if a fair percentage of the police force in major cities have double dealing pastimes.
 
New Orleans didnt really seem dangerous but I did walk by a restaurant where this guy was getting arrested for threatening to kill somebody. Two cents.
 
The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :meanie:



omg.
 
Wow...this thread has gone OT just a bit. Anyway, I can second the Philly schools, especially Temple. Cinci is in one of the worst parts of town, too, but not particularly dangerous as far as I know.