dansko clogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconut lime

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with these....they're pretty expensive, but are they what everyone wears on the floors? does anyone know where to find good deals? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My clogs were the best 100 bucks I ever spent. I got them when I started working 12 hour shifts as a lab tech running around the NICU. I had tried running shoes and birkenstocks, and neither came close to the comfort of the clogs. I got the basick black "professional" design, and they're great because they go with about anything -- jeans, slacks, whatever. I even wore them to my GWU interview with my suit (and got in) when i got sick of my "nice" shoes.

I don't generally see them on sale, but you might try online at dansko.com or off-line at shoe storesspecificallty geared toward comfort shoes. I've also seen them on sale at Nordstrom Rack.

Buy some...you'll LOVE them!

Members don't see this ad :)
coconut lime said:
what's the deal with these....they're pretty expensive, but are they what everyone wears on the floors? does anyone know where to find good deals? thanks!

As a dansko follower I'll tell you what the guy at the shoe store told me: they don't go on sale and as a distributor you can't put them on sale. That's why you'll go into your average crunchy shoe shop and find everything from birks to earth shoes (also super comfy) on seasonal sale but not the beloved dansko. They have really expanded the line over the past year, so I suppose there is a possibility that they'll be doing season sales in the future, but it will be really hard to find any standard dansko clog from less than $100-120. You might try online, but usaully the additional shipping takes you back to square one. They're worth the money.

i got mine from a website, i think it was dansko outlet from the dansko website. they're seconds (which means there may be a scratch on them, but I"m sure i'll put a scratch on them too) so they're cheaper. i think they were like $75 then $7 for shipping, so I saved a bit. the link was in a thread in the clinical rotations area. not sure which thread though.

I HATE Danskos... I don't have fallen arches or flat feet, but the arches in those damn clogs were so high that after one 12h shift I had bruises on both arches! Haven't worn them since.

They should have told you when you bought them that you have to break them in and you should never wear them for 12 hours straight when they are brand new. They told me to take my old shoes and start off with 2-3 hours in the Danskos then switch to my old ones, gradually increasing the time each day.

Once mine were broken in I loved them.

There are lots of good shoes out there--ask the nurses what they wear--those folks know their shoes!

coconut lime said:

I have two pairs. They are great for the OR too. I wear mine every day.

You can find great deals on the Dansko Outlet site: http://www.danskooutlet.com/

I purchased my clogs for less than $70. Retail is over $120. ;)

I wore my professional dansko's for countless hours the first day and haven't had any complaints since. No "break in" needed for me. I went on a caribbean cruise over winter break and was happy to wear flipflops and cute sandals but I came back to cold Chicago and was thrilled to slip back into my dansko's.
The outlet has been mentioned, and if you know your size (take advantage of the knowledgable people in the crunchy shoe stores) you can usually save at least $30 on ebay -- sometimes even more.

DANSKO'S SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

They get so much hype, but they're no where near comfortable as a pair of good tennis shoes (esp new balance, or any shoe with soft soles) for being in the OR all day or walking around the hospital. Their soles aren't soft, wtf???? My dansko's that were over 100 bucks have hard soles and as a result aren't fun to stand on all day. Plus they look like crap.

Granted, they can pass for shoes to wear with your shirt and tie when you're not in scrubs, so in that case they're better then my dress shoes. But if you want something to wear while on surgery when you can wear scrubs, just wear sneakers. Although, dankso's did come in handy once in the OR when blood was splashed on them b/c it was easy to rub off. Whereas, had I been in my sneakers, it might have soaked through, eewwwww.

Hi all,

I'm starting work doing 12 hour shadowing shifts in the ER pretty soon and am considering Dansko's. What style do you all wear? The professional?

Thanks for any info.

Roselee

I don't have a pair but I know they sell them at some nice horse tack/clothing stores. There's one in Kansas that does and they might be a little cheaper at a place like that. It might be worth looking up tack stores in your local phone book and asking. good luck!

RoseLee said:
Hi all,

I'm starting work doing 12 hour shadowing shifts in the ER pretty soon and am considering Dansko's. What style do you all wear? The professional?

Thanks for any info.

Roselee

I like the professional b/c there's a back to the heel to provide additional support.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a pair for ~60 bux at www.allheart.com in a really cool metallic blue color.

I have the Professional model and prefer to have the back heel support. A couple of months ago I was almost hit head-on by a vehicle which had lost control and crossed the highway median. The car then proceeded to veer off the road, go under a chain link fence (yes, under the fence stretched and then bounced back into place) and crash in to a bunch of trees. Being the EMT that I am I jumped out of my car wearing my Danskos, ran down a grassy hill and climbed the 6 foot fence to get to the patient. I learned two things - 1) I could climb a 6 ft. chain link fence and 2) These clogs are amazing - you can run around and climb a fence and they don't fall off. BTW: the driver had minor injuries.

I swear by my Merrell's...they are so darned comfortable. I own two pairs in black, one in suede and one in regular leather that I wore while working for a private ambulance company (couldn't wear my previous suede pair), and I now wear them when in the hospital. Anyone else love them?

At the tack shops I go to they are the same price as Nordstroms. Definitely try a pair on and see how they feel. I have found there seems to be some variation from shoe to shoe in the size - I tried on two pairs of the same size and they felt very different from each other. Hence, I forked over the $100 and got them at a store where I could try them on. Allheart.com has a good return policy, but eBay might leave you stuck depending on the seller if they didn't fit.

People either absolutely love or absolutely hate Danskos. There's no middle ground. Personally, I love mine. They're more comfortable than any pair of sneakers I own. I didn't have to break them in, the arches aren't high at all, plus the ones I have don't look ugly and I get complimented on them all the time.
mariah_blak.jpg

My feet get hot, so I like the open back, but the strap of course keeps them from sliding off or anything. I've worn them at the hospital nearly every day for a year.

Advice: get a pair from somewhere you can return them if they don't feel comfortable right away.

Im on my third pair of Merrell mocks in as many years. Ive never tried Dansko but I highly recommend Merrell. Slip on and off, mold to your foot - very comfortable.

medic8m said:
Im on my third pair of Merrell mocks in as many years. Ive never tried Dansko but I highly recommend Merrell. Slip on and off, mold to your foot - very comfortable.

Do you know what style(s) you have? I had a pair of danskos once and they absolutely killed my feet! Some of the ones on the Merrell site look more comfy than others though.....

another thing about dansko's is that they don't breathe well and can get very hot.

Dansko's have a hard sole. After standing for 9 hours straight on one particular sugery, my feet literally went numb. The hard soles are great for preventing back pain but do not help if you're predisposed to sole pain.

Make sure your dansko fits. The salespeople sold me on one that was pretty big. Sometimes when I walk my foot will invert-- I've almost really killed my ankles a couple of times when walking.

medic8m said:
this is the model I always get. The first few times you wear them they are a little tight, but then they form to your foot. So comfotable. Its like wearing PJs and slippers at work.

I agree...My merrell's have lasted me a very very long time so far. Plus my feet are small so I fit in the cheaper kid's sizes. Another place you can look for their shoes online is www.merrell.com (but you can find them in most sporting goods stores as well). If you a clog person they have them as well, but personally I can't stand clogs so I don't know how those are.

medic8m said:
this is the model I always get. The first few times you wear them they are a little tight, but then they form to your foot. So comfotable. Its like wearing PJs and slippers at work.

I agree. You can also find them at www.merrell.com or at most sporting good stores. Luckily my feet are small so I can get the cheaper priced kids shoes that look exactly the same as the adults'. I am not a clog fan so I can't tell you how those are, but merrells have clogs as well.

Al Pacino said:
Dansko's have a hard sole. After standing for 9 hours straight on one particular sugery, my feet literally went numb. The hard soles are great for preventing back pain but do not help if you're predisposed to sole pain.

What happens if you're predisposed to sole pain and back pain :confused: i just got my dansko's today. they fit ok considering i ordered them off of the internet without trying them on and never wearing euro sized shoes before. i looked at the merrel's and no offense, but they are kinda ugly (not that the dansko's are jimmy chiu's by any means). and those of you who say they hurt, where did they hurt?

PluckyDuk8 said:
I swear by my Merrell's...they are so darned comfortable. I own two pairs in black, one in suede and one in regular leather that I wore while working for a private ambulance company (couldn't wear my previous suede pair), and I now wear them when in the hospital. Anyone else love them?
I second the recommendation of the Merrell clogs. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

I used to wear Dansko professionals, but the Merrells are so far better than the Danskos it's not funny. One thing to be wary of... if you're of the minority that tend to supinate your ankle (rather than pronate), the Dansko's narrow heels make it really easy to accidentally sprain your ankle doing nothing more than walking normally. I've sprained my ankle pretty good twice wearing Dansko Professionals.

Forget Dansko.
I wear Gucci sneakers on the wards.
L128750.jpg

pluckyduck owns me!

Interesting thread. I never figured that shoes were such a big issue, but hey, I'm learning. Is it only helpful for residents ? As a first year med student, I'll spend some days at the hospital, but nowhere near the amont of time some of you guys spend there.

Blake said:
Interesting thread. I never figured that shoes were such a big issue, but hey, I'm learning. Is it only helpful for residents ?

I think it definitely applies to 3rd years as well. I am buying a pair of Merrels for 2nd year to wear on my preceptor days.

footcramp said:
pluckyduck owns me!

Eh? And what in the world did I do while posting to make this thread look funky?

I don't mean to disrupt the flow (I'm really interested in finding the right shoes for rotations) but what the hell happened to the thread? :confused: Why does it look like this? Weird! :)

StringBean said:
I don't mean to disrupt the flow (I'm really interested in finding the right shoes for rotations) but what the hell happened to the thread? :confused: Why does it look like this? Weird! :)

The pictures posted by some users stretched the page. ;)

Yep, true Blake... but if you scroll up a bit you'll see that the last chunk of posts are all being posted under PluckyDuk's post (instead of each being separate like normal)...

Heehee, :laugh: look at me, acting like this is the most interesting thing ever... anything to get out of studying ;)

I just went to try some dansko's on today, as the style I want is only available on the internet, so I figured I'd go and check out my size, the feel, etc. All I can say is, OMG, those are the most comfortable shoes I have ever tried on. I will definitely have at least one pair in my closet, maybe more.

Sorry guys, I have posted many times before and this has never happened. If somebody can tell me how to edit my post or something I'll fix it. I went back and checked it and there aren't any weird quote commands there or something. :scared:

Al Pacino said:

Make sure your dansko fits. The salespeople sold me on one that was pretty big. Sometimes when I walk my foot will invert-- I've almost really killed my ankles a couple of times when walking.

Maybe its a guy thing...but I've nearly broken my ankle and twisted my knee SEVERAL times wearing mine. The things are freaking heavy for one thing and I never learned how to walk in heels properly as a young boy!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You totally look stupid when you trip wearing these things also! It's hard to look macho when you twist your ankle like Tootsie in these things!!!

I've always been size 5...but I've just received the Dansko Pros I ordered online, and 35 is too big! Any suggestions as to what to try now? I'd need some sort of insert + really thick socks to have any chance with these shoes. Very annoying since the model itself felt comfy enough.

PluckyDuk8 said:

I LOVE MY MERRELL'S!!!!! I also had a rough time with my Dansko's. I wore them for about 4 months, hoping I'd break them in. They only kept getting worse. If Danskos don't feel comfortable right away, I'd recommend going with Merrells. I have the primo mocs and a suede pair. Both are incredibly comfy and look nice.

Lara said:
I've always been size 5...but I've just received the Dansko Pros I ordered online, and 35 is too big! Any suggestions as to what to try now? I'd need some sort of insert + really thick socks to have any chance with these shoes. Very annoying since the model itself felt comfy enough.

Are you sure they are too big? Dankso's are made to be roomy -- you heel should almost slip out of the back of the clog when you walk.
http://www.danskooutlet.com/Fit_info.aspx

Vincristine said:
Are you sure they are too big? Dankso's are made to be roomy -- you heel should almost slip out of the back of the clog when you walk.
http://www.danskooutlet.com/Fit_info.aspx

Hmm - in that case I'll give them another try. I guess the roomy size is just something to get used to. Thanks! :)

I'm personally a fan of Crocs clogs. They're about $30 and come in all kinds of colors. They're worn by fishing guides and healthcare professionals alike. They don't slip on any wet surfaces, they're light (mine have fallen off at the beach and floated to the surface), and the rubbery material they're made out of molds to your foot after you wear them for a few hours. They're the sexiest unisexual shoe ever :thumbup:
http://www.crocs.com/index.asp

spyrogyra said:
I'm personally a fan of Crocs clogs. They're about $30 and come in all kinds of colors. They're worn by fishing guides and healthcare professionals alike. They don't slip on any wet surfaces, they're light (mine have fallen off at the beach and floated to the surface), and the rubbery material they're made out of molds to your foot after you wear them for a few hours. They're the sexiest unisexual shoe ever :thumbup:

i dont think i could pull off wearing these w/o getting beat up. :p

Don't think you can pull off the "mandles" (as I call them). I know, they're pretty funky looking...but I mean, if you're brave enough to wear any clog, I think these should at least be taken into consideration.

spyrogyra said:

Everyone on that webpage looks so happy! How could you not want your own pair of teel crocs?

Westies usually has a buy one pair, get the second half off and a pretty good selection of Danskos. The deal is also good for Born and Earth shoes, but sadly, not for Merrells.

spyrogyra said:

I love my crocs! They are super soft, give you support and are really light. They are definately funkly looking though. Every time I wear them out people look at them or say something to me about them. Its usually pretty amusing.

You can check www.sierratradingpost.com for (sometimes) really good prices on a lot of these shoes. I'm not sure what they've got now, but we've found Merrells, Birkenstocks, and Danskos there before.

I got my Danskos during my Ob/Gyn clerkship, and for the first few days while I was deciding if I liked them, I wore the OR shoe covers, so I could (hopefully) return them if I decided I didn't like them. I love them, but I have had my share of ankle-twistings.