Dartmouth- Step 2 CS Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emaline

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys-

I searched the forum and I know that Dartmouth requires Step 2 scores before ROL time. What I'm wondering is if any of you know if they really actually do need step 2 CS scores by that time. The invite I got says they do, but I'm hoping that maybe it is not an absolute requirement. I am taking step 2 CK in December, but I am not signed up for CS until mid-February. Obviously my CS score will not be ready by March 1st. I had no idea that any path program would require CS be passed before ranking applicants!!

Anyway, I really wanted to visit Dartmouth and I am bummed over this discovery. I would call them Monday, but I don't know I will have a chance since I start neurosurgery that day. Well, actually I start neurosurgery at 5:45 tomorrow morning. Ugh. If anyone knows the specifics, please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Emaline said:
Hi guys-

I searched the forum and I know that Dartmouth requires Step 2 scores before ROL time. What I'm wondering is if any of you know if they really actually do need step 2 CS scores by that time. The invite I got says they do, but I'm hoping that maybe it is not an absolute requirement. I am taking step 2 CK in December, but I am not signed up for CS until mid-February. Obviously my CS score will not be ready by March 1st. I had no idea that any path program would require CS be passed before ranking applicants!!

Anyway, I really wanted to visit Dartmouth and I am bummed over this discovery. I would call them Monday, but I don't know I will have a chance since I start neurosurgery that day. Well, actually I start neurosurgery at 5:45 tomorrow morning. Ugh. If anyone knows the specifics, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi Emaline,

I have exactly the same deal. I'm not taking step 2 CS until late January. I am interested in going there too.

Can't believe you have to start neurosurg on a Sunday! That is crazy!

beary said:
Can't believe you have to start neurosurg on a Sunday! That is crazy!

Yeah, they made us come in today for rounding and orientation. Got home around 11, so at least I have the afternoon for myself. This week is going to be rough though. I don't think I have done a 40 hour shift before. Can't say I will ever want to do one again I am sure. Oh, well.

Anyway, hopefully Dartmouth isn't super strict about the CS exam, but if it is I guess that just helps me narrow down my interview list. Maybe we will meet on the interview trail beary... it seems that we have a similar list of programs to visit. If you hear anything form Dartmouth let me know, and I will do the same. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they told me that they needed that CS exam taken because of the way temporary licensure was handled in the state of NH. Apparently, there is this one woman who does it all. Maybe it's one office, I forget. Anyway, I guess the delay there is so big that they have to submit things pretty early in order to get your license ready by July 1. The office won't start processing your application unless you have given them a score for CS. So what happens if your CS score delays your license? Apparently, you can watch, but you can't touch anything, which would obviously cause your training months to suck. If they say they are strict on this, they might have gotten burned last year, and had residents starting July 1 who couldn't do anything. Their program director is nice, I'm sure he could tell you more specifically what the deal is.

I emailed them saying that I am taking the BS exam on January 23 but that I really wanted to interview there and was wondering if Jan. 23 was too late.

They wrote back that "it may indeed be too late."

So guess I'm not going there! :(

beary said:
I emailed them saying that I am taking the BS exam on January 23 but that I really wanted to interview there and was wondering if Jan. 23 was too late.

They wrote back that "it may indeed be too late."

So guess I'm not going there! :(

Yeah, I called the coordinator yesterday in the middle of my 36 hour shift on neurosurg ( :scared: ) and she emailed me back saying that it takes a minimum of 8 weeks for the scores to get back and therefore my score will not be back in time. Too bad really... I bet a lot of really good applicants have to pass them over because of this. I would have scheduled the CS earlier if I had known. Oh well... there are many other fish in the sea :)

Emaline said:
Too bad really... I bet a lot of really good applicants have to pass them over because of this. I would have scheduled the CS earlier if I had known.

I would have too. I don't feel too bad for them though. They could have emailed everybody who applied there an email long ago telling them of this situation.

Or maybe I'm just in a really bad mood. :rolleyes: