Dartmouth vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ken Young

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I'm having a difficult time in deciding between these two very different schools, and would really appreciate anyone's input on these schools. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Well the Dartmouth program stresses more rural medicine whereas the Brown program stresses urban med for the last 2 years. Basically at Brown, I've heard you get exposure to a vast diversity of patients. That's basically the main difference between the two. Big city vs. Rural medicine. Both are great programs.

My bad, I accidentally read Boston for Brown. Sorrry! Don't know too much about BU. Hope the info on Dartmouth/Brown helped anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ken it seems like a no contest. dartmouth is ivy league. boston isn't even top 50 i think.

Went to Dartmouth for undergrad. It was a fantastic place to study, and would highly recommend it for med school. Granted, its very different from undergrad, but its relatively stress-free, the people seem to like each other a lot, and the interaction with your professors is going to be intense. The hospital is brand new and, even though it isnt urban, it is the primary referral center for much of NH and some of VT.

I think it comes down to whether you want to be in the city or not during your first 4 years. You're going to get good patient exposure at either, just different types of patients. After that, residency is a whole different story.

So, I'd say Dartmouth. It's a great place. And not as expensive!!

Cheers.

If I wasn't here for undergrad right now I would definitely be interested in going to Dartmouth for medical school. The med students I have met seem really down-to-earth.

Thanks for your input. A Caveman, Dartmouth is ranked #34 and Boston University is #37, so there isn't much difference there, and I'm not that concerned with ranking however. Skelly99 and skye04, I guess my biggest concern about Dartmouth is that I will never be able to get away from medicine, medical students, dartmouth itself since it is isolated and small. Is this a valid concern? What did you do to get away from your studies?

i liked the brown dartmouth thing. but it looks like you are thinking about straight dartmouth. that rural medicine focus might be a turnoff considering boston as an urban city. but i really liked dartmouth. but know nothing about BU.

I personally have heard a lot of bad things about BU. Bad attitudes, bad competition, and constantly in the "go" mode. Never get a break for anything! This is just what I have heard.

Dartmouth I have not heard one bad thing about. What did your interview days tell you? Have you been accepted to both?
I would personally go with Dartmouth.
But it's your choice :)

i've also heard many negative things about BU and only positive stuff about Dartmouth. BU is one of the most expensive schools and a professor I know who teaches at both BU and Tufts said he would def. go with Tufts over BU. The class size of Dartmouth is really tiny, and there isn't much else in Hanover except for Dartmouth undergrad & grad. I guess it depends on your personal preference and what type of medicine you want to be exposed to during med school (rural v. urban). In terms of academic reputation, I would say Dartmouth is the better of the two, but again it depends on your own indiv. interests.

Originally posted by Ken Young:
•Skelly99 and skye04, I guess my biggest concern about Dartmouth is that I will never be able to get away from medicine, medical students, dartmouth itself since it is isolated and small. Is this a valid concern? What did you do to get away from your studies?•••

I guess I like being isolated in one sense because it helps me focus and also appreciate all the opportunities available on campus alone. It is, however, very easy to get away for the weekend to a more civilized area. Hanover is 2 hrs from Boston, 3 from Montreal, and 4-5 from NY. Also don't forget all the great outdoor activies right at hand, the Dartmouth Outing Club is the largest in the country I believe, and there are lots of opportunities for hiking, skiing, canoeing/kayaking, rock-clumbing, etc. Anyways, I vote for Dartmouth!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts about this (as I change my mind every week it seems). I'll keep you updated! Good luck to everyone. :D

Ken, I stand corrected. I did not know that (rankings). anyway, dartmouth, seems to be more highly regarded than Boston both by residency directors and in student selectivity rankings. That says a good deal, but if you don't care much about rankings, then what else can you base your decision on?? well--Location (Boston gets my vote BIG TIME as far as people and city life), Location (Boston is WAY more expensive), Location (Dartmouth's location just plain sucks to me). So there it is. my conclusion: Boston is a better area for me than stank old Hanover. ("2 out of 3 ain't bad").

But personally, and just like every other sane person on this board, I'd go to Dartmouth. why? it's ivy league at half off (stat wise). screw boston U. come to think of it, wasn't that one of those ho ass schools whose secondary consisted of signing some sheet, stapling a picture, and sending it away with a $100 DOLLAR CHECK? it think so.

that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
~400 lb Gorilla

It really comes down to what you're looking for. I grew up just north of Boston and went to college in Hanover. My rationale looking at undergrad was - I'm probably going to be in the city for the rest of my life, why not enjoy the outdoors for a bit. If you want to be in the city and can't be happy if you're not there - then Boston is the place. However, Hanover is beautiful and there is lots to do if you want to get outside and live a little. Plus, as others have said, you're only two hours from Boston (and its an easy ride - I can practically do it in my sleep).

It all comes down to whether you want the city life or not for the next four years. Personally, I don't think its bad to be in a peaceful environment while you're working your a** off in med school!

Cheers