DAT advice: Destroyers vs. Bootcamp Practice Tests Ex. GChem Test 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vvgp1216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Fam,

I'm sorry in advanced if this question has already been asked. I'm using Ari's schedule and am currently on Day 31. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finishing a day's worthy of study material.

For example, Day 31, Ari has you do the following below. I put the time it takes me do each section and review the solutions, and it's like a crazy 12-13 hour session! I'm not sure if I'm just a super slow learner but at the end of the day I feel depressed because I can only get through half of the material.

-Read Cliffs AP Bio and Take notes (1.5 hours)
-Math Destroyer Test 3 (4 hours)
-Take DAT Bootcamp Chemistry Test 3 1 (2 hours)
-Do GChem Destroyer 49-72 (2.5 hours)
-Do OChem Destroyer 1-27 (2.5 Hours)
-PAT Trainer Game (30 min)
-Read a science article (30 min)

MY MAIN QUESTIONS:
-Should just try to tough it out and stick to Ari's schedule or should I do the typical 30 Bio, 30 GChem, 30 Ochem, and 40 QR Destroyer questions?
-Does it take other people this long to finish one day of study material? If not, do you have any tips for me?
-I also don't understand why there's Bootcamp Subject Practice Tests in the middle of having to do Destroyer questions, should I just save these until after I'm done with the Destroyers?

As you can see I'm all over the place. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing to do is to follow the schedule but I would focus on destroyer and keep you exam till you are done with destroyer because it can help you bring lots of information back! Also destroyer does take lots time so just do it but focus more on destroyer now than practice test

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is math the hardest subject for you? You are spending almost a third of your time on this section. The first several tests of math destroyer are made up of a lot of similar questions (as in test 1 is pretty similar to test 2 in terms of content). If you notice yourself missing the same type of question, it may be beneficial to take a little extra time and study that topic individually (google it, watch a youtube video on it, etc.). Getting a better grasp on the question will help you undertstand it when you come across a similar question, which should drop you time a little bit. If you have any questions in this section, feel free to message me.

When I was studying Cliff's Bio, I was probably doing it in a similar amount of time. What may help is to watch a video on the topic before you read the chapter (I usually watched Bozeman). Having a general idea on the topic should help you move through Cliff's a little quicker.

I would also say you can lower the amount of scientific articles you read. Honestly, you don't really need to read these, the important thing is that you just practice reading anything (perhaps a favorite book). However, if you want to continue reading these articles, you could probably lower it to once every other day.

Hi SDN Fam,

I'm sorry in advanced if this question has already been asked. I'm using Ari's schedule and am currently on Day 31. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finishing a day's worthy of study material.

For example, Day 31, Ari has you do the following below. I put the time it takes me do each section and review the solutions, and it's like a crazy 12-13 hour session! I'm not sure if I'm just a super slow learner but at the end of the day I feel depressed because I can only get through half of the material.

-Math Destroyer Test 3 (4 hours)
-Take DAT Bootcamp Chemistry Test 3 1 (2 hours)
-PAT Trainer Game (30 min)
-Read a science article (30 min)

MY MAIN QUESTIONS:
-Should just try to tough it out and stick to Ari's schedule or should I do the typical 30 Bio, 30 GChem, 30 Ochem, and 40 QR Destroyer questions?
-Does it take other people this long to finish one day of study material? If not, do you have any tips for me?
-I also don't understand why there's Bootcamp Subject Practice Tests in the middle of having to do Destroyer questions, should I just save these until after I'm done with the Destroyers?

As you can see I'm all over the place. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!!!
This seems like big overkill. Math shouldn't take 4 hours. And the PAT trainer game should be like 15 minutes. And an article should be read in less time than 30 minutes. Also the GC Bootcamp test shouldn't be 2 hours long. Its timed for 30 min and then maybe 30 minutes to go over your missed questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for your input, I definitely feel a lot better today. I just need to pick up the pace. It's helpful to know how much time I should be dedicating to certain things. I end up pondering and overthinking which consumes a lot of time so I am thankful for your advice!

-Math Destroyer Test 3 (4 hours) *Do what I can in 2.5 hours
-Take DAT Bootcamp Chemistry Test 3 1 (2 hours) *save for later, after doing two days of Destroyer
-PAT Trainer Game (30 min) *15 min each night
-Read a science article (30 min) *one article

With the adjustments I'm at about 9 hours. Sound about right?

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your input, I definitely feel a lot better today. I just need to pick up the pace. It's helpful to know how much time I should be dedicating to certain things. I end up pondering and overthinking which consumes a lot of time so I am thankful for your advice!

-Math Destroyer Test 3 (4 hours) *Do what I can in 2.5 hours
-Take DAT Bootcamp Chemistry Test 3 1 (2 hours) *save for later, after doing two days of Destroyer
-PAT Trainer Game (30 min) *15 min each night
-Read a science article (30 min) *one article

With the adjustments I'm at about 9 hours. Sound about right?
Yeah that should be perfect

Reactions: 1 user