DAT advice/prep/orgo and PAT help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mOlar1!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so i have a month and a half left and orgo is killing me. Orgo has always been my weakest point. I took kaplan online class and did those problems which didn't seem crazy. then i did chad's which helped me a lot since it basically re taught me orgo. I strated practicing on bootcamp. HOWEVER I STARTED DESTROYER TODAY AND I DIED. I kid you not, I got maybe 5/20 problems right. i started making flashcards of all the questions I got wrong as they were getting soaked in my tears. I am planning on making flashcards for all questions and memorizing the reaction table chad has up. I was gona use my kaplan orgo flash cards as well. I STILL DON"T KNOW HOW TO USE THESE ROADMAPS. everyone talks about how efficient they are. I am planning on doing 25 problems everyday so I can go through destroyer twice before my exam. Alongside I am gona do all the bootcamp orgo exams as I am already doing 1 subsection everyday and making flashcards. I study 4 subjects a day so it's impossible for me to spend more than 3 hours a day for orgo. I study 7 days and 3 hours of orgo everyday. Any other advice would help. what else should I do? ALso, as i go with bootcamp problems, i rewatch chad's to refresh where i don't remember.

PAT kaplan was good starting point but it seemed too easy after a while so i finished watching my kaplan lectures twice and doing all the problems, I moved to bootcamp and it kicked my ass. I read through the sections and watched ari's tutorial. I do one bootcamp section everyday (like study). i do pat trainer game everyday and I basically watch every possible youtube video out there on the suubsection I do for the day. I have been doing this regularly for past 3 days and planning on continuing till next month and a half. I see a difference in my performance bc first I couldn't visualize anything and literally got so frustated at every problem bootcamp had to offer but now its getting tiny better. I kept a sheet with me "why did I get it wrong so I can track my mistakes" what else would you guys recommend? P.S, I do 2 hours of PAT everyday +PAT trainer game.

Bio, I read through kaplan like 1 and a half time and did the kaplan practice and stuff. memorized kaplan flashcards. I also watched chad's videos on major concepts and added ferali's notes to it and made my own notes and highlighted. I took bootcamp bio subsection and for every answer I made a flash card for the right and wrong answer. I use anki ferali's everyday 50 flashcards/day. I don't like cliff cause it's too boring and i like studying for bio so if it bores me, i can't sit through it. I watch youtube videos on anatomy especially kidney once every few days to refresh a concept. I also act as if I am teaching myself bio to make sure I understand the majot concept and not just pure memorizing. I read ferali's twice if I don't understand something. I started practcing with bio destroyer 35 problems/day but that thing is overly detailed. but over preparation doesn't hurt i guess. What else would you guys recommend I do? I am so nervous for bio because I always second guess myself.

Gen chem, I finished practicing with kaplan then watched chad's. Took all the quizzes and now doing bootcamp and starting destroyer tom.

QR, I did kaplan, then chad and quizzes twice. now bootcamp+destroyer togeher. (half way through destroyer and I get like 60% right).

Reading, I did all the kaplan practice which helped me cause i went from a 13 to a 19 on my third test. However, now I read a scientific article everyday. timing is huge problem for me. I am gona start practicing with bootcamp starting monday. idk what else to do.

This is it. Idk what else to do? I study 3-4 subjects everyday and I study for like 9-10 hours maybe. I am feeling very nervous and scared. I am not naturally smart so I have to always study hard to get the scores I want. PLease, if any of you have any advice, give it away. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You have an incredible amount of time left. Focus on Chad, Feralis, to learn the material. Do destroyer when you have a very decent understanding of the sciences, get your ass kicked by it a few times, then you will improve. Bootcamp to assess

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I feel the same way. I was an undergrad tutor for o-chem; however, the material taught by the professor did not cover everything. He felt some topics were more important than others. Therefore, I'm left learning material that I've never seen before. Just constantly study, study, and study. It may feel overwhelming, but after a while you will get the hang of it! I take my DAT in 12 days, I feel overwhelmed still, but I know that I put my definite amount of work into this exam, and can only hope for clarity of the mind on test day and a decent score! Stay positive folks!

A month a half?? PLENTY of time! Continue to go through Destroyer as many times as possible. The more times you go through it the better your score will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have an incredible amount of time left. Focus on Chad, Feralis, to learn the material. Do destroyer when you have a very decent understanding of the sciences, get your ass kicked by it a few times, then you will improve. Bootcamp to assess
so would you say I should pause destroyer until I get a strong grasp of material? should I come back to destroyer after bootcamp?

Man, I feel the same way. I was an undergrad tutor for o-chem; however, the material taught by the professor did not cover everything. He felt some topics were more important than others. Therefore, I'm left learning material that I've never seen before. Just constantly study, study, and study. It may feel overwhelming, but after a while you will get the hang of it! I take my DAT in 12 days, I feel overwhelmed still, but I know that I put my definite amount of work into this exam, and can only hope for clarity of the mind on test day and a decent score! Stay positive folks!
how are you studying for orgo since u have 12 days left so at this point you are probably reviwing right?

A month a half?? PLENTY of time! Continue to go through Destroyer as many times as possible. The more times you go through it the better your score will be.
lol yeah my plan was to go through it at least 3 times for math but for orgo my speed doesn't increase for more than 20-30 problems a day lol. I was reviewing my kaplan flashcards for ochem today and I think I now understand what is the point of this destroyer roadmap.

how are you studying for orgo since u have 12 days left so at this point you are probably reviwing right?
Yea man, I had gone through chad's videos taking extensive notes on everything. I still feel some topics I don't fully grasp the concepts, yet. But, I've begun making my way through destroyer and seeing the solutions to those problems.

I'd recommend Organic Chemistry Odyssey for you if you're willing to buy it, it's pretty solid stuff. People usually say that this book can help if you're a bit weak in orgo. It's also written by Dr. Romano like the Destroyer. It's basically 20 chapters of problems and solutions. I'm not necessarily weak in orgo, but the more exposure the better you know.

Yea man, I had gone through chad's videos taking extensive notes on everything. I still feel some topics I don't fully grasp the concepts, yet. But, I've begun making my way through destroyer and seeing the solutions to those problems.
good luck. :) i hope you kill your DAT.

okay so i have a month and a half left and orgo is killing me. Orgo has always been my weakest point. I took kaplan online class and did those problems which didn't seem crazy. then i did chad's which helped me a lot since it basically re taught me orgo. I strated practicing on bootcamp. HOWEVER I STARTED DESTROYER TODAY AND I DIED. I kid you not, I got maybe 5/20 problems right. i started making flashcards of all the questions I got wrong as they were getting soaked in my tears. I am planning on making flashcards for all questions and memorizing the reaction table chad has up. I was gona use my kaplan orgo flash cards as well. I STILL DON"T KNOW HOW TO USE THESE ROADMAPS. everyone talks about how efficient they are. I am planning on doing 25 problems everyday so I can go through destroyer twice before my exam. Alongside I am gona do all the bootcamp orgo exams as I am already doing 1 subsection everyday and making flashcards. I study 4 subjects a day so it's impossible for me to spend more than 3 hours a day for orgo. I study 7 days and 3 hours of orgo everyday. Any other advice would help. what else should I do? ALso, as i go with bootcamp problems, i rewatch chad's to refresh where i don't remember.

PAT kaplan was good starting point but it seemed too easy after a while so i finished watching my kaplan lectures twice and doing all the problems, I moved to bootcamp and it kicked my ass. I read through the sections and watched ari's tutorial. I do one bootcamp section everyday (like study). i do pat trainer game everyday and I basically watch every possible youtube video out there on the suubsection I do for the day. I have been doing this regularly for past 3 days and planning on continuing till next month and a half. I see a difference in my performance bc first I couldn't visualize anything and literally got so frustated at every problem bootcamp had to offer but now its getting tiny better. I kept a sheet with me "why did I get it wrong so I can track my mistakes" what else would you guys recommend? P.S, I do 2 hours of PAT everyday +PAT trainer game.

Bio, I read through kaplan like 1 and a half time and did the kaplan practice and stuff. memorized kaplan flashcards. I also watched chad's videos on major concepts and added ferali's notes to it and made my own notes and highlighted. I took bootcamp bio subsection and for every answer I made a flash card for the right and wrong answer. I use anki ferali's everyday 50 flashcards/day. I don't like cliff cause it's too boring and i like studying for bio so if it bores me, i can't sit through it. I watch youtube videos on anatomy especially kidney once every few days to refresh a concept. I also act as if I am teaching myself bio to make sure I understand the majot concept and not just pure memorizing. I read ferali's twice if I don't understand something. I started practcing with bio destroyer 35 problems/day but that thing is overly detailed. but over preparation doesn't hurt i guess. What else would you guys recommend I do? I am so nervous for bio because I always second guess myself.

Gen chem, I finished practicing with kaplan then watched chad's. Took all the quizzes and now doing bootcamp and starting destroyer tom.

QR, I did kaplan, then chad and quizzes twice. now bootcamp+destroyer togeher. (half way through destroyer and I get like 60% right).

Reading, I did all the kaplan practice which helped me cause i went from a 13 to a 19 on my third test. However, now I read a scientific article everyday. timing is huge problem for me. I am gona start practicing with bootcamp starting monday. idk what else to do.

This is it. Idk what else to do? I study 3-4 subjects everyday and I study for like 9-10 hours maybe. I am feeling very nervous and scared. I am not naturally smart so I have to always study hard to get the scores I want. PLease, if any of you have any advice, give it away. thanks in advance.

Remember Destroyer is a teaching book, who cares how many get wrong while studying, use it to identify a weakness and turn it into strength. Make sure to do the 25 most asked reactions, all of those have been seen on one DAT test or another. Make sure to get through ALL the work in the DAT Destroyer, know it cold..In the Bio section know all the correct answers as well as the incorrect answers, study the solutions carefully. Bio is vast and can be VERY challenging if not well prepared. If you are in the last weeks of study focus more strengthening weak areas and less time on timed tests. If you are strong in the subjects you will have enough time. all the time in the world will not help if not well prepared.

Wishing you the best!

Just my 2 cents..Nancy

Remember Destroyer is a teaching book, who cares how many get wrong while studying, use it to identify a weakness and turn it into strength. Make sure to do the 25 most asked reactions, all of those have been seen on one DAT test or another. Make sure to get through ALL the work in the DAT Destroyer, know it cold..In the Bio section know all the correct answers as well as the incorrect answers, study the solutions carefully. Bio is vast and can be VERY challenging if not well prepared. If you are in the last weeks of study focus more strengthening weak areas and less time on timed tests. If you are strong in the subjects you will have enough time. all the time in the world will not help if not well prepared.

Wishing you the best!

Just my 2 cents..Nancy
Thank you so much. I def don't doubt the effectiveness of destroyer. Could you please also tell me if you recommend I do 25 problems everyday and review the those my flashcards because knowing how challenging destroyer is, I second guess myself on almost everything which could also mean that subconsiouly I don't know the material as well as I thought I did. i have 5 weeks left. Also how exactly do I use those roadmaps? they look really effective.