DAT anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CKaK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok... it's 2 weeks away... I've worked through the entire Kaplan book, even listen to audio learning CD's... I am planning to take practice tests everyday from here on out (Kaplan tests, topscore, some CD, some paper)..

I just want to know if anyone has any other suggestions on how to prepare as well as some advice about the OChem section. How much detail do you really have to know and what aspect is stressed? Any advice will help, thank you so much.

CK

Members don't see this ad.

CKaK said:
Ok... it's 2 weeks away... I've worked through the entire Kaplan book, even listen to audio learning CD's... I am planning to take practice tests everyday from here on out (Kaplan tests, topscore, some CD, some paper)..

I just want to know if anyone has any other suggestions on how to prepare as well as some advice about the OChem section. How much detail do you really have to know and what aspect is stressed? Any advice will help, thank you so much.

CK
with just 2 weeks left, i'd suggest you take the CD practice tests, NOT THE PAPER versions so to familiarize yourself with computer testing. And try not to take practice tests everyday... by the time you take the exam, you'll be too tired. and plus, you want to make sure you'll be able to review your exams properly to learn from your mistakes so not to make the same error on the real exam. I took both Kaplan practice tests and TopScore and thought they both did a good job covering materials for the test. TopScore seemed a bit harder but it worked out better for me because alot of the biology/ochem questions were similar to Topscore's questions (this may not be true for your exam). I basically reviewed all my notes that required reviewing during the week of the exam.

As for OChem - you WILL be asked at least one question on SN1/SN2/E1/E2 (I am 99% confident). i had a couple questions about mark vs antimark, they asked a question on a reaction using methybenzene + something and you had to figure out the product... E/Z.. OH! and oxidation/reduction of alkenes/carb. acids. they asked about aromaticity, identifying anti/gauche/eclipsed, naming compounds -just one questions (it was more complicated than Kaplan's examples), ortho/para/meta, and a couple other rxns. But these are pretty obvious topics to cover. i was disappointed that they didn't ask me anything on NMR/IR only cuz i had spent so much time memorizing/understanding them. i would say focus on knowing your reactions and understand how reactants interact with Nu. (Again, keep in mind that some of the topics covered on my exam may not be on yours.)

It's alot. I know. just relax and do as much as you can without jeopardizing your health physically/mentally. :) The DAT's are nice because you find out your score SOON AFTER you complete your exam. this way, you'll know if you need to better prepare for next time.

gluck to ya.

keep practicing, do questions, anywhere u can find them do as many as you can. Thats wat i would do. Good luck

thanks alot for ur suggestions and help. Another quick question.. was there any questions on the organice section abt purification and/or separation? thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
CKaK said:
thanks alot for ur suggestions and help. Another quick question.. was there any questions on the organice section abt purification and/or separation? thanks alot.

I believe I had a question relating to purification - but it was easy. Everything you need to know concerning organic chemistry is in Kaplan's blue book. If you have everything memorized in that section then you should do well on it come test day. What else can you do? Get plenty of rest and eat well, especially during the couple of days leading up the day. Best of luck!

Thank you for the help. One last question, haha, on the angle discrimintation are you allowed to trace the angles onto your paper by holding it up to the moniter?

no, you can't hold your paper up to the monitor, and you surely can't trace the angles. In fact, you can't use any "measuring device", other than just looking at it.

Are you sure we can't trace or touch the monitor? I took the kaplan classroom course and that's the way we were taught to do IF we have time...