DAT Bootcamp Math Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, had a quick question about how to solve the following problem. I know it's really simple but I was wondering why the answer is 3/850 instead of 13/850?

I was thinking that the probability should be 13/52 (first club) * 12/51 (second club) * 13/50 (heart)

10. 3 cards are drawn without replacement from a deck of playing cards, with no jokers. What is the probability that the first 2 cards are clubs, and the third card is a heart face card?

Members don't see this ad.

the question is asking for heart FACE cards, so the last probability you multiply by should be 4/50

Reactions: 1 user
the question is asking for heart FACE cards, so the last probability you multiply by should be 4/50

Just a minor, but significant adjustment: you mean "3/50"

Hey guys, had a quick question about how to solve the following problem. I know it's really simple but I was wondering why the answer is 3/850 instead of 13/850?

I was thinking that the probability should be 13/52 (first club) * 12/51 (second club) * 13/50 (heart)

10. 3 cards are drawn without replacement from a deck of playing cards, with no jokers. What is the probability that the first 2 cards are clubs, and the third card is a heart face card?

Face cards are: Jack, Queen, King
There are 12 face cards total (4 of each since J, Q, and K can be heart, club, diamond, and spade)
Therefore, there are 3 total heart face cards in the entire deck.

You had set up the first two fractions correctly, but not the third:
13/52 (first club) * 12/51 (second club) * 3/50 (heart FACE)

Thus, after simplifying the product, your answer will be 3/850. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
hah my bad, thank youu
Just a minor, but significant adjustment: you mean "3/50"

Face cards are: Jack, Queen, King
There are 12 face cards total (4 of each since J, Q, and K can be heart, club, diamond, and spade)
Therefore, there are 3 total heart face cards in the entire deck.

You had set up the first two fractions correctly, but not the third:
13/52 (first club) * 12/51 (second club) * 3/50 (heart FACE)

Thus, after simplifying the product, your answer will be 3/850. Hope this helps!

thanks so much guys! i totally missed the "heart FACE cards" and kept thinking heart cards...