DAT Breakdown 25AA w/ Study Tools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krcs3865

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster - I just got out of my DAT with some results that I'm very happy about so I couldn't help contributing to the breakdown threads! Here's my breakdown:

PAT: 22
QR: 23
RC: 24
Bio: 26
GC: 26
OC: 27
TS: 26
AA: 25

I studied for about 8 weeks, 7-8 hours a day over winter break as I was reviewing the material and then ~2 hours a day when classes started back up in January, mostly doing Destroyer problems/practice tests. Here are the tools I used:

Kaplan (2017)
-Not bad for getting your toes wet, I only read through the bio section and the introductory PAT strategies. I wouldn't have bothered with it if it weren't for the online practice tests they give you, which are okay (but not as good as Bootcamp).

Cliff's AP Bio (4th ed)
-I've heard 3rd ed. is better but 4th was fine too imo. Much more in depth info than Kaplan in a lot of places, but goes into too much detail sometimes. Remember that for bio you want breadth over depth. Practice tests in the back are helpful too, but I never did them.

Chad's Videos
-As many people will tell you, totally indispensable for gen chem and o chem. I watched through all of these during my first 4 weeks of reviewing and they're probably the reason I scored as well as I di on GC/OC.

Crack DAT PAT
-This was also a hugely helpful tool for me, since I suck at pattern folding. The sections vary in difficulty from test to test so I took as many as I could (which ended up being 4). Ended up being a touch harder than the real thing, which is good.

Destroyer (both Sciences and Math)
-Probably the tool that helped me the most. Seriously, these books are incredible. Huge shout-out to Dr. Romano. If you work through every question in the sciences portion and work to understand your mistakes, there's no reason you shouldn't get a stellar score. I did 22 orgo, 24 gen chem, and 40 bio questions a day.

Bootcamp
-I didn't pay for this service because I was getting a bit strapped for cash at this point, but I did the free practice test they give you and it was fantastic. My score estimate was 20 bio/23 GC/30 OC/22 PAT/27 RC/22 QR, and I felt it was very representative of the actual exam.

The Test
-Obviously every test is different, but here was my experience. Bio and orgo were significantly easier than the ridiculous questions you get in the Destroyer (especially orgo), while gen chem was about right. I got a lot of calculation problems on GC but they can only ask them in so many ways, so if you memorize how to work them all beforehand then you're good.

As for the PAT, keyholes are usually one of my best sections but the keyhole problems I got were f***ing ridiculous. I remember sitting there just dumbfounded as to how any human could accomplish such a task. Luckily, the other portions were a lot easier. I used both the rapid eye movement and "laptop" techniques for angle ranking, which I think helped a lot.

Reading comprehension was a breeze, I got almost exclusively fact-checking type I questions. My strategy was to read question 1, read half the passage thoroughly, then search and destroy the rest. Tbh it reminded me a lot of AP english exams, on the weirdly worded ones you just have to get in the head of the test-writer and try to think about how they're trying to trick you. It's all mind games, man.

QR on my test was a bitch. Lots of long word problems with a few really, really weird problems I wasn't very familiar with (regarding function systems, etc.). Still, if you stay on your toes in this section (caffeine helps :)), you should be fine.

I hope this was kind of helpful to people and didn't come across as too boastful, I'm just very happy right now that all my hard work paid off! Happy to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 16930353_1503746182969106_1247372704_o.jpg
    16930353_1503746182969106_1247372704_o.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Wow, nice scores! I am studying for my DAT now I have a month and a half left. It is hard studying during school but I am just pushing through it and working hard. Do you have any advice for me? I just started going through destroyer.

Also do you mind telling us how many times you went through destroyer?

Very nice! My 24AA was pulled up a bit by my QR section, which was pretty easy. As long as we're showing scores, I guess I'll add mine.

IMG_20170207_232634_868.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, nice scores! I am studying for my DAT now I have a month and a half left. It is hard studying during school but I am just pushing through it and working hard. Do you have any advice for me? I just started going through destroyer.

Also do you mind telling us how many times you went through destroyer?

Thanks! I can definitely sympathize, studying for the DAT while dealing with classes, work, and various orgs has been tough. My strategy was to set aside 2 hours every day dedicated to just doing Destroyer problems, then I cleared this past week as best I could to do full practice tests (I managed to get 2 in). To be honest I missed a lot of days just because of life stuff, but my attitude was to just do the best I could.

As for the Destroyer, I got through the science book once and I only did 3 math tests because I felt confident in my QR abilities, plus given that it's the least weighted section I felt my time was better spent elsewhere. Hope that helps!

Excellent scores, congrats!

Thanks Feralis, I forgot to mention in my post but I referenced your notes from time to time and the clear explanations there definitely helped me out a bunch.

Nice! Congratulation!
Could you tell me what biology courses have you take so far ? I just wondering if I should take Genetics, Biochemistry before I take DAT.

I'm in genetics right now and I took biochem last semester, along with the standard intro bio courses. I can say without a doubt that both have been a huge help with the material. I would highly recommend taking them if at all possible before you take your DAT.

Long time lurker, first time poster - I just got out of my DAT with some results that I'm very happy about so I couldn't help contributing to the breakdown threads! Here's my breakdown:

I studied for about 8 weeks, 7-8 hours a day over winter break as I was reviewing the material and then ~2 hours a day when classes started back up in January, mostly doing Destroyer problems/practice tests. Here are the tools I used:

Kaplan (2017)
-Not bad for getting your toes wet, I only read through the bio section and the introductory PAT strategies. I wouldn't have bothered with it if it weren't for the online practice tests they give you, which are okay (but not as good as Bootcamp).

Cliff's AP Bio (4th ed)
-I've heard 3rd ed. is better but 4th was fine too imo. Much more in depth info than Kaplan in a lot of places, but goes into too much detail sometimes. Remember that for bio you want breadth over depth. Practice tests in the back are helpful too, but I never did them.

Chad's Videos
-As many people will tell you, totally indispensable for gen chem and o chem. I watched through all of these during my first 4 weeks of reviewing and they're probably the reason I scored as well as I di on GC/OC.

Crack DAT PAT
-This was also a hugely helpful tool for me, since I suck at pattern folding. The sections vary in difficulty from test to test so I took as many as I could (which ended up being 4). Ended up being a touch harder than the real thing, which is good.

-Probably the tool that helped me the most. Seriously, these books are incredible. Huge shout-out to Dr. Romano. If you work through every question in the sciences portion and work to understand your mistakes, there's no reason you shouldn't get a stellar score. I did 22 orgo, 24 gen chem, and 40 bio questions a day.

Bootcamp
-I didn't pay for this service because I was getting a bit strapped for cash at this point, but I did the free practice test they give you and it was fantastic. My score estimate was 20 bio/23 GC/30 OC/22 PAT/27 RC/22 QR, and I felt it was very representative of the actual exam.

The Test
-Obviously every test is different, but here was my experience. Bio and orgo were significantly easier than the ridiculous questions you get in the Destroyer (especially orgo), while gen chem was about right. I got a lot of calculation problems on GC but they can only ask them in so many ways, so if you memorize how to work them all beforehand then you're good.

As for the PAT, keyholes are usually one of my best sections but the keyhole problems I got were f***ing ridiculous. I remember sitting there just dumbfounded as to how any human could accomplish such a task. Luckily, the other portions were a lot easier. I used both the rapid eye movement and "laptop" techniques for angle ranking, which I think helped a lot.

Reading comprehension was a breeze, I got almost exclusively fact-checking type I questions. My strategy was to read question 1, read half the passage thoroughly, then search and destroy the rest. Tbh it reminded me a lot of AP english exams, on the weirdly worded ones you just have to get in the head of the test-writer and try to think about how they're trying to trick you. It's all mind games, man.

QR on my test was a bitch. Lots of long word problems with a few really, really weird problems I wasn't very familiar with (regarding function systems, etc.). Still, if you stay on your toes in this section (caffeine helps :)), you should be fine.

I hope this was kind of helpful to people and didn't come across as too boastful, I'm just very happy right now that all my hard work paid off! Happy to answer any questions.
Congratulations! Very impressive scores and thank you for the shout out! Don't worry about coming across too boastful, you have plenty to boast about!

Wishing you the best..

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
co

Kaplan (2017)

Cliff's AP Bio (4th ed)

Chad's Videos

Crack DAT PAT

Bootcamp

The Test

congrats on the great scores!!

Reactions: 1 user