DAT breakdown (finally)!! 23 AA/22 TS/20 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi670

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to doing this :claps:
This is really long... sorry in advance...

DAT was taken on 6/20/17.

Background:

- Just finished my junior year of undergrad

- Overall GPA 3.91

- Science GPA: 3.93

- Major is Biomedical Diagnostics and Therapeutic Sciences

- Minor in Business

Materials:

- DAT Kaplan 2017-2018

- DAT Destroyer

- Math Destroyer

- DAT Bootcamp

- Chad’s Videos

- AP Cliffs Bio

- Khan Academy videos

Subject Practice Test scores

- DAT Bootcamp:

o 3/6/17-Biology Exam 1: 18

o 3/13/17- Reading Comprehension Exam 1: 19

o 3/20/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 1: 17

o 6/6/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 6: 21

o 6/7/17- Perceptual Abilities Exam 9: 19

o 6/8/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 8: 19

o 6/16/17- Biology Exam 6: 19

o 6/17/17- Biology Exam 7: 22

o 6/18/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 7: 22

o 6/18/17- General Chemistry Exam 6: 21

o 6/18/17- Organic Chemistry Exam 6: 21

o 6/18/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 6: 24

Full-length Practice Test scores

- 5/7/17

o Note: I had already taken Bio, RC, and QR subject tests two months before I took this full-length. The questions are the same. I had just started studying GC (Chad’s videos) and had not yet started OC.

o Bio: 20

o GC: 20

o OC: 18

o PAT: 19

o RC: 20

o QR: 17

- 5/16/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I reviewed my answers for the sciences and QR only. I also finished Chad’s GC videos and started working through the problems in the GC section of Destroyer. Also, my connection was lost after the PAT section so I didn’t finish the test… oh well.

o Bio: 16

o PAT: 18

- 5/20/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I studied bio a lot more from Cliff’s, especially the taxonomy section and plants section. I continued to work on chem problems and started watching Mike’s OC videos. I also practiced PAT using generators.

o Bio: 17

o GC: 24

o RC: 22

o QR: 16

- 5/22/17 (Kaplan, not Bootcamp)

o Note: It has only been two days since last exam, but I felt I could do better after reviewing science section and QR section, but, as you can see, it wasn’t a good idea.

o Bio: 18

o GC: 21

o OC: 15

o PAT: 15

o QR: 14

- 5/30/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I finished more than half of Destroyer Bio questions, practiced PAT generators, and started doing one timed math practice test a day from Math destroyer. I also finished Mike’s videos for OC. I hadn’t done any GC questions though.

o GC: 22

o OC: 20

o RC: 23

o QR: 18

- 6/13/17 (Kaplan, not Bootcamp)

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I finished the Bio section on destroyer, finished the OC section in destroyer, practiced PAT generators and tests, and did one math practice test a day. I also started rewatching some of Chad’s videos for GC.

- From here on, I kept taking practice tests for the subjects I needed help in (mostly Bio and QR). The day before my test, I decided to relax and only took the survey of natural sciences section from the last full-length on Bootcamp.

o GC: 19

Official Scores: I think maybe the feeling of knowing that this is the real thing helped me? I’m not sure…

- AA: 23:soexcited:

- TS: 22

- PAT: 20

- Bio: 21

o Took Bio 1 two years before I took the DAT and did not take Bio 2. Studied as mentioned above.

- Gen Chem: 20

o Took Gen Chem 1 and 2 two years before DAT. Studied as mentioned above.

- O Chem: 26

o Took O Chem 1 and 2 one year before DAT. Studied as mentioned above.

- RC: 24

o Did not study except for full-length tests..

- QR: 23

o Have not taken algebra or statistics since high school (3+ years ago). Studied as mentioned above.

I started studying in December 2016 during winter break, but not seriously. I read through the Kaplan Bio section and took notes as a refresher for bio. I read one chapter a day and took thorough notes. I registered for the DAT at the end of winter break for June 1st (but I ended up moving it to June 20th when it got closer to the test date because I wasn’t prepared).

In January, I started my winter semester of school with 15 credits, volunteered as a research assistant in a lab, and was a student ambassador. I also shadowed on Saturdays for 8 hours and had some other smaller extracurriculars. I did not have much time to study for the DAT but I did what I could. I woke up 1-2 hours early and studied for it. Each month I would work on a new subject until the end of the semester. January was reviewing Bio from Kaplan and my notes, February was getting familiar with PAT from Kaplan (as I had never seen it before), March was QR practice from DAT destroyer (about 20-30 problems a day, depending on how much time I had that day), and April was more bio review.

I spent little time on RC and no time on OC or GC during the semester because I figured that I would have all of May to study those since I was not taking summer classes. During the semester, I realized how much of Bio and Math I had forgotten and realized that I would need to study those more during May. So basically I ended up pushing studying for everything to May.

In May, I spent the first two weeks watching Chad’s videos and going to the research lab. I watched about 3 hours’ worth of videos a day. Once I finished that, I jumped into doing practice problems in Destroyer. I did about 50 practice problems on days when I took a full-length test. On top of these 50 problems, I would do a timed math practice test from Destroyer and 1 hour of PAT practice from bootcamp generators. On the days when I didn’t take a full-length test, I would do one hour of PAT practice from Bootcamp each day, 100 questions of Bio Destroyer questions each day (and take GOOD notes), watch 1 entire chapter of Mike’s OC videos on Bootcamp each day, and a timed math practice test from Math destroyer each day.

Once I ran out of math tests from Math Destroyer, I did tests 6-10 from Bootcamp (one a day). I really recommend doing these for the Qualitative Comparison Questions. They were very similar to the actual.

Once I ran out of Bio questions, I would take a test from Bootcamp, review what I got wrong, and watch Youtube videos on things I needed a refresher on. My advice would be to read the explanations from Bootcamp out loud because I find that it helps in understanding and remembering. Also writing out concepts that you got wrong more than once from different tests helps.

Once I finished the OC videos from Bootcamp, I did 100 OC questions from Destroyer a day (I scheduled it so I start the 100 OC questions a day after I finished all 600 Bio questions). After this I only took one practice exam because I didn’t feel the need to study OC much more.

I actually never finished all the GC questions. I got up to 250 and then stopped because again I didn’t feel the need to keep going. Instead I started rewatching Chad’s videos to keep it fresh in my mind. I would watch it whenever I was eating lunch or dinner (a little bit overboard, I know).

I actually never studied RC except for when I was taking a full-length test. I never reviewed this section of the test either. So no “one science article a day” because I didn’t need it. I used the search-and-destroy method and was left with 10 minutes at the end on the real DAT. I took a small nap before the QR section…

For PAT I mostly just practiced from generators and tests from bootcamp. I also took a couple practice tests. I probably should've studied more for this...

And that’s that!! Hopefully I explained everything. Let me know if something is confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
How was the QR section on the actual? And what would you say the difficulty was compared to your study materials, BC and Destroyer?

Reactions: 1 user
How was the QR section on the actual? And what would you say the difficulty was compared to your study materials, BC and Destroyer?
I thought that the QR section was very similar to bootcamp. There were a couple probability questions on there that wer destroyer level, but thankfully I knew how to answer them thanks to destroyer. I think the only reason I scored so high was because I was going very fast though it and had time to check all my marked questions and then double check the whole section (which has never happened to me on practice tests) I think it was just the adrenaline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great scores!! Any trig/geometry questions? And what was the difficulty level of the qualitative comparison questions compared to bootcamp?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Great scores!! Any trig/geometry questions? And what was the difficulty level of the qualitative comparison questions compared to bootcamp?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There was one or two about simplifying the expression with sin and cos but other than that nothing. The qualitative comparison was a little bit easier than Bootcamp but very similar.

I've been looking forward to doing this :claps:
This is really long... sorry in advance...

DAT was taken on 6/20/17.

Background:

- Just finished my junior year of undergrad

- Overall GPA 3.91

- Science GPA: 3.93

- Major is Biomedical Diagnostics and Therapeutic Sciences

- Minor in Business

Materials:

- DAT Kaplan 2017-2018

- DAT Destroyer

- Math Destroyer

- DAT Bootcamp

- Chad’s Videos

- AP Cliffs Bio

- Khan Academy videos

Subject Practice Test scores

- DAT Bootcamp:

o 3/6/17-Biology Exam 1: 18

o 3/13/17- Reading Comprehension Exam 1: 19

o 3/20/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 1: 17

o 6/6/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 6: 21

o 6/7/17- Perceptual Abilities Exam 9: 19

o 6/8/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 8: 19

o 6/16/17- Biology Exam 6: 19

o 6/17/17- Biology Exam 7: 22

o 6/18/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 7: 22

o 6/18/17- General Chemistry Exam 6: 21

o 6/18/17- Organic Chemistry Exam 6: 21

o 6/18/17- Quantitative Reasoning Exam 6: 24

Full-length Practice Test scores

- 5/7/17

o Note: I had already taken Bio, RC, and QR subject tests two months before I took this full-length. The questions are the same. I had just started studying GC (Chad’s videos) and had not yet started OC.

o RC: 20

- 5/16/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I reviewed my answers for the sciences and QR only. I also finished Chad’s GC videos and started working through the problems in the GC section of Destroyer. Also, my connection was lost after the PAT section so I didn’t finish the test… oh well.

o Bio: 16

- 5/20/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I studied bio a lot more from Cliff’s, especially the taxonomy section and plants section. I continued to work on chem problems and started watching Mike’s OC videos. I also practiced PAT using generators.

o Bio: 17

o GC: 24

o QR: 16

- 5/22/17 (Kaplan, not Bootcamp)

o Note: It has only been two days since last exam, but I felt I could do better after reviewing science section and QR section, but, as you can see, it wasn’t a good idea.

o OC: 15

o PAT: 15

o QR: 14

- 5/30/17

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I finished more than half of Destroyer Bio questions, practiced PAT generators, and started doing one timed math practice test a day from Math destroyer. I also finished Mike’s videos for OC. I hadn’t done any GC questions though.

o GC: 22

o RC: 23

o QR: 18

- 6/13/17 (Kaplan, not Bootcamp)

o Note: Between this full-length and the last one, I finished the Bio section on destroyer, finished the OC section in destroyer, practiced PAT generators and tests, and did one math practice test a day. I also started rewatching some of Chad’s videos for GC.

- From here on, I kept taking practice tests for the subjects I needed help in (mostly Bio and QR). The day before my test, I decided to relax and only took the survey of natural sciences section from the last full-length on Bootcamp.

o GC: 19

Official Scores: I think maybe the feeling of knowing that this is the real thing helped me? I’m not sure…

- AA: 23:soexcited:

- TS: 22

- PAT: 20

- Bio: 21

o Took Bio 1 two years before I took the DAT and did not take Bio 2. Studied as mentioned above.

- Gen Chem: 20

o Took Gen Chem 1 and 2 two years before DAT. Studied as mentioned above.

- O Chem: 26

o Took O Chem 1 and 2 one year before DAT. Studied as mentioned above.

- RC: 24

o Did not study except for full-length tests..

- QR: 23

o Have not taken algebra or statistics since high school (3+ years ago). Studied as mentioned above.

I started studying in December 2016 during winter break, but not seriously. I read through the Kaplan Bio section and took notes as a refresher for bio. I read one chapter a day and took thorough notes. I registered for the DAT at the end of winter break for June 1st (but I ended up moving it to June 20th when it got closer to the test date because I wasn’t prepared).

In January, I started my winter semester of school with 15 credits, volunteered as a research assistant in a lab, and was a student ambassador. I also shadowed on Saturdays for 8 hours and had some other smaller extracurriculars. I did not have much time to study for the DAT but I did what I could. I woke up 1-2 hours early and studied for it. Each month I would work on a new subject until the end of the semester. January was reviewing Bio from Kaplan and my notes, February was getting familiar with PAT from Kaplan (as I had never seen it before), March was QR practice from DAT destroyer (about 20-30 problems a day, depending on how much time I had that day), and April was more bio review.

I spent little time on RC and no time on OC or GC during the semester because I figured that I would have all of May to study those since I was not taking summer classes. During the semester, I realized how much of Bio and Math I had forgotten and realized that I would need to study those more during May. So basically I ended up pushing studying for everything to May.

In May, I spent the first two weeks watching Chad’s videos and going to the research lab. I watched about 3 hours’ worth of videos a day. Once I finished that, I jumped into doing practice problems in Destroyer. I did about 50 practice problems on days when I took a full-length test. On top of these 50 problems, I would do a timed math practice test from Destroyer and 1 hour of PAT practice from bootcamp generators. On the days when I didn’t take a full-length test, I would do one hour of PAT practice from Bootcamp each day, 100 questions of Bio Destroyer questions each day (and take GOOD notes), watch 1 entire chapter of Mike’s OC videos on Bootcamp each day, and a timed math practice test from Math destroyer each day.

Once I ran out of math tests from Math Destroyer, I did tests 6-10 from Bootcamp (one a day). I really recommend doing these for the Qualitative Comparison Questions. They were very similar to the actual.

Once I ran out of Bio questions, I would take a test from Bootcamp, review what I got wrong, and watch Youtube videos on things I needed a refresher on. My advice would be to read the explanations from Bootcamp out loud because I find that it helps in understanding and remembering. Also writing out concepts that you got wrong more than once from different tests helps.

Once I finished the OC videos from Bootcamp, I did 100 OC questions from Destroyer a day (I scheduled it so I start the 100 OC questions a day after I finished all 600 Bio questions). After this I only took one practice exam because I didn’t feel the need to study OC much more.

I actually never finished all the GC questions. I got up to 250 and then stopped because again I didn’t feel the need to keep going. Instead I started rewatching Chad’s videos to keep it fresh in my mind. I would watch it whenever I was eating lunch or dinner (a little bit overboard, I know).

I actually never studied RC except for when I was taking a full-length test. I never reviewed this section of the test either. So no “one science article a day” because I didn’t need it. I used the search-and-destroy method and was left with 10 minutes at the end on the real DAT. I took a small nap before the QR section…

For PAT I mostly just practiced from generators and tests from bootcamp. I also took a couple practice tests. I probably should've studied more for this...

And that’s that!! Hopefully I explained everything. Let me know if something is confusing.
Congratulations, fantastic scores ! DAT Destroyed! With these scores and your high GPA you will have no problem getting interview invites and acceptances.

Thanks for the shout-out I'm wishing you the best in the application process

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Congratulations, fantastic scores ! DAT Destroyed! With these scores and your high GPA you will have no problem getting interview invites and acceptances.

Thanks for the shout-out I'm wishing you the best in the application process

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy
Thank you so much!!!:)

How would you recommend taking notes on the bio destroyer questions? Like about each topic in the answer choices?
Rewrite the explanation, go to that section in Feralis notes and memorize it so you never get a question in that topic wrong again