DAT Breakdown from a Non-Traditional - 29 June 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CraigHack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN'ers, I've been looking forward to doing one of these since I started studying for the DAT. Thanks for checking it out!

Background: I'm 27 years old. I graduated from the University of Florida in 2009 with a B.S. in Exercise Physiology (Pre-Med track). I had a 3.8 oGPA at UF, but I didn't do all of my pre-requisites (more on that in a moment). Since 2009 I have been a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps. Until recently I was a Naval Aviator, but I made the decision to switch occupations for the last couple of years I have left in the service, so now I'm a administration officer (we call them "Adjutants"). My last day is scheduled to be 30 August 2016, but I'll be able to shift that date to the left to accommodate starting Dental School in Fall 2016 (so long as I can gain admission).

I've known for a long time I was going to leave the Marine Corps to pursue Dentistry, but I didn't get serious about the process until Summer 2013. Since then, I've been mapping out my approach from crusty non-traditional missing a couple of pre-reqs to fully qualified applicant.

So when I was a sophomore at UF, I was taking Organic Chemistry I&II with a combined lab over the summer session. I was also exploring my options with the military, and in particular, the Marine Corps. This was in 2007, and the Marine Corps was looking for bodies to fill its ranks. I signed my contract that summer, thinking I would do 20 years in the Marine Corps and never return to academia. So my first order of business was withdrawing from Organic II (I finished Organic I with an A) as well as the lab (since it was a combined lab, I didn't get credit for Orgo I lab). Obviously, I am kicking myself for that one to this day.

I plan on doing a more comprehensive thread in the Pre-Dental section later on, so I'll end this part with a summary:

-27 Year old male with Health Sciences background, graduated with B.S. in Exercise Physiology in 2009
-Never took Organic Chemistry II
-Married, with one child (toddler)
-oGPA: ~3.7 (includes Dual Enrollment from high school)
-sGPA: ~3.7 (missing Orgo II, Orgo Lab I&II, Biochemistry, Microbiology)

By The Numbers:

DAT taken 29 June 2014, 12:00pm
PAT: 25
QR: 22
RC: 22
Bio: 24
GC: 23
OC: 21
TS: 22
AA: 22

Bootcamp Stats (1-5)
PAT: 19/19/18/19/21
QR: 21/21/21/23/20
RC: 22/21/21/23/--
Bio: 25/23/19/21/22
GC: 22/22/23/20/22
OC: 20/20/18/26/23

Free 2007 DAT (Untimed/Taken before studying for DAT)
PAT: 22
QR: 21
RC: 20
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: -- (skipped, because I had no idea what I was doing)
TS: --
AA: --

Study Materials (From Most Recommended to Least*):

DAT Destroyer - You'll see a lot of people say that Destroyer is overkill, and they're right. It trains you above and beyond what you need to know for the DAT. In my opinion, that's a great thing. I had a lot of time to prepare for this test, so I ran through Destroyer 3 times in each science section. I started at 65% in GC and OC, and 70% in Biology (and that was with referring to my notes at times), and progressed to approximately 90% (without aids) for all three by the end of my third time through. If I had been pressed for time, it may not have been the most efficient study tool, but it was certainly the most comprehensive and skill-enhancing for my situation.

DAT Bootcamp - My test-day simulator. I took the first batch of tests in April as a diagnostic tool, then took 2-5 this week leading up to the test. I found the PAT material on Bootcamp to be too difficult compared to the DAT (especially keyholes), which is illustrated by my scores. Ari, if you're reading this, thank you for putting out a quality product. (If I may make a humble suggestion, I would recommend you change the order questions and answers are listed in each practice test so rote memorization doesn't take over).

Chad's Videos - Being a non-tradition who's been out of college since 2009, these probably saved my bacon more than I realize. Chad does an excellent job of teaching all of the material, though I would rank his General Chemistry videos higher than his Organic ones. That's a biased assessment though, because I was much shakier in Organic when I watched the videos. I did not watch his Quantitative Reasoning videos.

Cliffs AP Biology - My source reference for all things Biology-related. I used it in conjunction with Feralis' notes (props to you dude!). My strategy here was to read a chapter, then take thorough notes on it the following day. The multiple exposures to the material helped me absorb it better.

Organic Chemistry Odyssey - Since I was so weak in Organic Chemistry to start, this was a pretty useful tool for me. It certainly covered a great deal of things that I did not see on my test, though. But it also gave me extra practice in material that was unfamiliar to me.

Math Destroyer - Again, more overkill, but I think putting in hard work here will translate most directly to the speed with which you complete the Quantitative Reasoning section on the DAT. I did five of the practice tests, scoring between 19 and 22 based on a DAT score conversion table I found via Google.

*I would recommend all of these study tools. I just tried to rank them by how essential I felt they were to my success.

My Study Strategy:

I started studying for the DAT in late February. The very first thing I did was take the free 2007 DAT for a baseline reading. I started the actual studying by running through all of Chad's Videos. After that, I tackled the DAT Destroyer for the first round. Believe what people say about it being a humbling experience. I was getting rocked on my first time through. Based on my experience, I think it would be prudent to do Destroyer at least twice, but preferably three times in preparation for the test. Your first time through will eat up a lot of time too, because you'll be reading solutions for a lot of questions you got wrong. After that was done, I worked my way through Cliffs and did most of Organic Chemistry Odyssey. I also took the first round of Bootcamp tests to see how I was progressing.

Up to this point, I had been studying about two hours a day. It was the end of May. At this point, I decided to turn up the heat, and started hitting the books hard. This meant 3-4 hours of studying per day, with 5-6 hours on weekends. I did another pass through Destroyer and Odyssey. Then I started doing sets of Destroyer questions in conjunction with practice tests out Math Destroyer. At this point, I was feeling pretty solid on my Sciences and Math, so I signed up for Bootcamp to practice for the test. After doing the second test, and feeling pretty good about it, I decided to sign up for the DAT (I signed up for the test on June 24th). I took the rest of the week off from work to go full bore on the study sessions, and was doing 8 hour days until Saturday (the day before the test). Those days were a Bootcamp test in the morning, followed by content review in the afternoon/evening (mostly Biology).

My Test Strategy:

I signed up for the test the week I took it. It did mean driving three hours to Atlanta, but that made it kind of a vacation in my mind (there isn't much where I am stationed). I would recommend looking at your possible testing sites and gauging how quickly appointments fill up, because I felt much more comfortable studying knowing that I could sign up for and take a test within two weeks of making the decision that I was ready. I didn't like the idea of having this ominous date hanging over my head, but do what works for you.

I got up to Atlanta on Saturday afternoon, stopped at a local brewery to unwind, then headed over to the hotel. Spent a couple more dollars for a nicer place than I usually stay when I travel. After dropping my stuff off, I went to a Starbucks and ran through some random test bank questions from Bootcamp. I paid extra attention to the PAT portion, since this was the section I was most concerned about going into test day. Then I grabbed dinner and headed back to the hotel.

Stayed up pretty late, because I didn't want to be awake early Sunday morning since my test wasn't until noon. That backfired, because when I turned in, I couldn't fall asleep. Ended up getting 6 hours of sleep. Got out of bed around 1000, checked out of the hotel and went to a breakfast place for a big breakfast. Had three cups of coffee while I was there (I'm a one cup a day, at most, type of guy).

Got to the test site around 1130. I brought a banana and a protein bar, along with some water and a 5-Hour Energy shot. After I locked up everything in the locker, I got checked in (did you know they actually use a metal detector wand on you?). Started the test early, probably around 1145.

There's a 15 minute tutorial to start the test. I set up one of my laminated sheets for the PAT (cube counting tracker and hole punching grid). I also wrote down some formulas/tables for the QR section (like the sin/cos/tan values for common angles between 0 and 90 degrees). After that, I hit end on the tutorial, and dove in.

The first thing I noticed about the test is that the timer starts as soon as end the tutorial, so be ready to get off to a running start. But you don't start the test on the first question. You are looking at the title/example page for the section of the test you're on. And there's a title/example page for each science section, and each section of the PAT (sometimes two pages here). Individually, it's only a second or two before you realize what you're looking at, but as a whole, it probably ate up 10-15 seconds since I didn't know all of this before I started the test.

Biology was more challenging than I was used to seeing. Fortunately, it looks like I wasn't the only one who felt that way, judging from the outcome. The questions didn't take a lot of time, so I was done with them after about 15 minutes (with 5-10 marked/unanswered). No plant questions that I can remember. I don't remember a lot of specifics, but I do recall feeling like Bootcamp had framed questions a certain way, and that the DAT was asking questions about the same topics framed in a way that was different enough that I was unsure about my answers. For example, there was a question about DNA micro arrays, but it was more about the technique/application of this technology, whereas other times I have seen a question about it in Destroyer/Bootcamp, the question gave an example of a situation where you would use DNA micro arrays. This just speaks to the importance of knowing the explanations for all the questions you study, not just the ones you get wrong. You miss a lot of good background information if you don't do this while you're studying.

General Chemistry had a question that gave me some trouble about ionic compound strengths. I don't remember any ICE questions, but I had a few questions involving Ka calculations. The conceptual questions were giving more trouble than the calculations, but there were also more of the former. Rolled into Organic with about 45 minutes to go.

I actually felt the most comfortable with the Organic portion of the test, so I guess it was blissful ignorance on my part. There were a few tough questions. One about compound solvency in HCl but not H2O. One on H NMR and C NMR each. I don't remember any Aldol condensation reactions. Finished marking/answering questions with 15 minutes to go back and review what I was feeling iffy on.

So remember those three cups of coffee I had earlier? Yeah, I was uncomfortable by the time I started the PAT. Nonetheless, I pushed forward and started on hole punching. Ran through the last 3 sections in about 20 minutes. Did angles next, then TFE. Saved keyholes for last, because I was always getting crushed on this part in Bootcamp, and burning up all my time. Well, the keyholes on the DAT were significantly easier than my experiences with Bootcamp. As a result, I finished with eight minutes to spare, so I went back to angles and changed 3-4 answers. Finished the PAT feeling like I was going to pee myself and wondering if I shot myself in the foot by changing those angles answers.

So during my break, I expeditiously hit the restroom. After that, I ate my protein bar and gulped down the water and 5 hour shot. I hesitated drinking the shot, since I figured it would make me need to pee again, but I figured it wouldn't be too bad since it was such a small volume of liquid.

Back into the test room with 5 minutes left on my break timer. I used the time to look over the sheet I had prepared for QR during the tutorial. I think it would be smart to glance over your notes for formulas during your break while you're in the lobby, but I forgot to bring them with my snacks.

I had Reading Comprehension next. It was a little more challenging than what I was used to, but I'm not sure if that was testing fatigue starting to set it. In any case, the first article was dreadful to read, but the other two were okay. My strategy was to read the first question, then read the passage until I could answer it. I would get through the passage with only answering 2-3 questions each time. I felt like if I had attempted to use Search and Destroy on the DAT, I would have scored a few points lower, judging from the number of tone and inference questions. I finished the last passage with about 10 minutes left, and used the remaining time to mull over a few marked questions that were giving me trouble.

The Quantitative Reasoning section was the last thing standing between me and my scores. I think it's important to remind yourself that it's important to stay focused here, and not get distracted by your thoughts about being done with the test or how you've done up to this point. That said, I was already doing the "potty shuffle" in my chair. I found the QR section on the DAT to be exceptionally easier than Bootcamp or Math Destroyer. During my studies, I was always running out of time for the last couple of questions. On the DAT, I finished with over 15 minutes left, and that was after going back and reviewing the marked questions. I would like to say that I sat there for 15 minutes, double checking all my work. But in all actuality, I ended the test because I had to pee so bad. There were two questions I didn't know how to do. One of them involved calculating radians/angles of a circle tangentially enclosed by a triangle/angle, and I never actually learned how to do these kinds of questions before the test.

After you finish the test, the scores pop up on your screen. I was taken aback by my performance, especially my PAT score. I had considered it my weakest section, by far, followed by QR and OC. I didn't really have time to process them though, because I had to run to the bathroom. When I came back, the proctor gave me the paper copy of my scores. Then I left and went to the nearest bottle store to buy a bunch of beer to celebrate.

Final Thoughts (TL;DR):

It really does feel great to be done, and to have a score you can be proud of.

I would suggest giving yourself plenty of time to prepare for the DAT. I see a lot of posts from people who push their DAT date back because they don't feel ready, but that costs more money to do, so try to hold off signing up for the test until you feel ready (schedule permitting).

I see people complain that they don't have enough time to prep for the DAT while they're taking classes. I haven't been in college in a while, but I do remember having obscene amounts of free time. Just be real with yourself when it comes to the issue of time management. If it still seems unmanageable, take a summer to hit it hard.

At a minimum, roll with DAT Destroyer and Bootcamp. If you need to review your sciences, add Chads and Cliffs AP Bio. It is a lot cheaper to do the test right the first time, rather than retake it (it also looks better and lets you shift your focus to other parts of your application).

Stay calm during the test. If you put in the work before hand, you should minimize any test-day jitters, but getting rattled during the exam can only degrade your performance. Plan out your whole test day, including food, lodging, and transportation, so that you can focus solely on being a rockstar on the test.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those scores are amazing! Everyone I talked to said they could not sleep the night before the test either. Same issue with me. I got almost zero hours of sleep before my exam and it was at 8am. Went to bed at 12 and could not sleep all night!

Members don't see this ad :)