DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scbiology

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just took my DAT two days ago and I couldn't be happier to be done! :soexcited:

I wanted to post a breakdown because I read A BUNCH of breakdowns leading up to my DAT and I thought they were extremely helpful. Thank you so much SDNers -- any questions I had, I could find the answers on here. Your help was very much appreciated :)

Here are my 2017 DAT scores:

BIO/GC/OC/TS/PAT/RC/QR/AA
22/26/22/23/20/27/20/23

This is going to be long because I want to make it detailed for anyone who is looking into how they should begin preparing for the DAT / what materials to use.

Preparation:

BIO - Feralis Notes (you can find the download here Feralis Biology Notes | DAT Bootcamp), Barrons DAT Prep Book, and DAT Destroyer. Feralis Notes are THE BEST way to prepare yourself for this section. I would not rely solely on this, as it can get confusing if there is a topic you don't quite understand. I recommend doing some studying using another source first (I used Barrons, but I've heard Cliff's AP Bio is really good too), and then reading Feralis Notes to reiterate everything you already know. I went through Destroyer after reading Barron's and Feralis. It absolutely killed me, but I made sure to look at the answers in the back for every question -- even the ones I got right! Do not use this as a timed // graded section. It is supposed to be a source to help you build your knowledge, not see where you stand!

Gen Chem - CHAD'S VIDEOS ARE BOMB. Seriously, I would not have done as well as I did in this section if it wasn't for Chad. Make sure to take notes and go back to them as you study. I also used my class notes for this section, Barron's Gen Chem section, and DAT Destroyer. Destroyer's problems were much harder than the real DAT in my opinion, BUT it prepares you really well.

Orgo - I LOVED organic chemistry when I took it in college. To prep, I watched Chad's Videos up until he got into mechanisms. I decided to use my class notes to study mechanisms instead because I had some pretty amazing professors for both Orgo 1 and 2. I also used DAT Destroyer to do practice problems -- again, much harder than real DAT but prepares you well.

RC - I did 2 practice sections from Achiever, and felt that was sufficient. I read all the time (for fun + for class) so I wasn't too worried about this section!

PAT - Barron's is amazing for this section, especially to start off with. They teach you about each section and little tricks to make things easier. I also watched videos online for the sections I really struggled in, such as folding, TFE, + hole punching. Barron's has good practice questions, so I did those, + 5 practice exams in Achiever.

QR - Barron's + DAT Destroyer were helpful, but what I found the MOST useful was doing practice exams. I did 5 Achiever exams + each exam had a variety of different questions that were super super helpful in preparing me for this section. Also keep in mind the ADA made a change to the QR for 2017 exam. It now includes Quantitive Comparison problems (I would look at the 2017 ADA Guide for more on that).

I also recommend signing up for the DAT Question of the Day by Bootcamp! It keeps your mind engaged and thinking about DAT questions on the daily. It's also free to sign up + the questions get sent to your inbox.
Practice Exams:

I purchased 5 DAT Achiever Exams and did all 5 of them for EACH section except RC (I only did 2). ACHIEVER IS WAY HARDER THAN THE REAL DAT. I was scoring around 15-18 for each section. I couldn't get anything in the 20s! Definitely makes you feel defeated, but great great great practice. The set up is also very similar to the real DAT.

I did 2007 and 2009 ADA Exams. I would say 2007 is easier than exam, but 2009 is close in difficulty to real DAT. My scores for 2009 were:
BIO/GC/OC/PAT/QR
21/21/20/19/19
My real scores were pretty close to these, with some variation. I would definitely use this to see where you stand // if you are ready to take the exam.

Test Day:
I was extremely nervous test day. I woke up early, ate yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, flax seeds, and coconut flakes, + a hard boiled egg (I found an article online that said those are some of the top brain foods :laugh:). I went to the test center an hour early -- I was there before the administrators were even there! When the arrived, I put my things in my locker, signed in, and started the exam at 8 am. The number one thing I would recommend is TO TAKE THE BREAK. I fueled myself back up with a few sips of coffee, water, almonds, + an apple (more brain food I found in the article :laugh:). I went to the bathroom + got back to my seat way before my break had ended -- make sure you give yourself time to sign back in + get situated. The exam WILL continue whether you are there or not.
Some tips for test day would be:
1. STAY CALM. Anytime I got worked up during the exam, I would tell myself "STOP. You cannot afford to freak out. This is the REAL THING and you need to stay focused." It really helped me stay on task.
2. If you don't know something, mark it and move on. There were a few questions I had no clue about, but when I moved on + came back to it, the answers would click in my mind. This happened a few times, so please please please don't freak out if you can't think of an answer right away :)
3. Take the break + eat a snack. Your brain needs the energy!
4. Whether you get the scores you hoped for or not, BE PROUD of yourself for all the effort you put in. I know it can be upsetting if you don't do well but this is not an easy exam. You should still congratulate yourself for your handwork + effort, ++ kick booty next time around!

Good luck to everyone who hasn't taken the exam yet. Stay confident + work hard! You can do this! Let me know if you have any questions :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Your scores are incredible CONGRATS!!!! I take mine in less than 3 weeks and I'm so nervous!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I just took my DAT two days ago and I couldn't be happier to be done! :soexcited:

I wanted to post a breakdown because I read A BUNCH of breakdowns leading up to my DAT and I thought they were extremely helpful. Thank you so much SDNers -- any questions I had, I could find the answers on here. Your help was very much appreciated :)

22/26/22/23/20/27/20/23

This is going to be long because I want to make it detailed for anyone who is looking into how they should begin preparing for the DAT / what materials to use.

Preparation:

BIO - Feralis Notes (you can find the download here Feralis Biology Notes | DAT Bootcamp), Barrons DAT Prep Book, and DAT Destroyer. Feralis Notes are THE BEST way to prepare yourself for this section. I would not rely solely on this, as it can get confusing if there is a topic you don't quite understand. I recommend doing some studying using another source first (I used Barrons, but I've heard Cliff's AP Bio is really good too), and then reading Feralis Notes to reiterate everything you already know. I went through Destroyer after reading Barron's and Feralis. It absolutely killed me, but I made sure to look at the answers in the back for every question -- even the ones I got right! Do not use this as a timed // graded section. It is supposed to be a source to help you build your knowledge, not see where you stand!

Gen Chem - CHAD'S VIDEOS ARE BOMB. Seriously, I would not have done as well as I did in this section if it wasn't for Chad. Make sure to take notes and go back to them as you study. I also used my class notes for this section, Barron's Gen Chem section, and DAT Destroyer. Destroyer's problems were much harder than the real DAT in my opinion, BUT it prepares you really well.

Orgo - I LOVED organic chemistry when I took it in college. To prep, I watched Chad's Videos up until he got into mechanisms. I decided to use my class notes to study mechanisms instead because I had some pretty amazing professors for both Orgo 1 and 2. I also used DAT Destroyer to do practice problems -- again, much harder than real DAT but prepares you well.

RC - I did 2 practice sections from Achiever, and felt that was sufficient. I read all the time (for fun + for class) so I wasn't too worried about this section!

PAT - Barron's is amazing for this section, especially to start off with. They teach you about each section and little tricks to make things easier. I also watched videos online for the sections I really struggled in, such as folding, TFE, + hole punching. Barron's has good practice questions, so I did those, + 5 practice exams in Achiever.

QR - Barron's + DAT Destroyer were helpful, but what I found the MOST useful was doing practice exams. I did 5 Achiever exams + each exam had a variety of different questions that were super super helpful in preparing me for this section. Also keep in mind the ADA made a change to the QR for 2017 exam. It now includes Quantitive Comparison problems (I would look at the 2017 ADA Guide for more on that).

I also recommend signing up for the DAT Question of the Day by Bootcamp! It keeps your mind engaged and thinking about DAT questions on the daily. It's also free to sign up + the questions get sent to your inbox.
Practice Exams:

I purchased 5 DAT Achiever Exams and did all 5 of them for EACH section except RC (I only did 2). ACHIEVER IS WAY HARDER THAN THE REAL DAT. I was scoring around 15-18 for each section. I couldn't get anything in the 20s! Definitely makes you feel defeated, but great great great practice. The set up is also very similar to the real DAT.

I did 2007 and 2009 ADA Exams. I would say 2007 is easier than exam, but 2009 is close in difficulty to real DAT. My scores for 2009 were:
BIO/GC/OC/PAT/QR
21/21/20/19/19
My real scores were pretty close to these, with some variation. I would definitely use this to see where you stand // if you are ready to take the exam.

Test Day:
I was extremely nervous test day. I woke up early, ate yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, flax seeds, and coconut flakes, + a hard boiled egg (I found an article online that said those are some of the top brain foods :laugh:). I went to the test center an hour early -- I was there before the administrators were even there! When the arrived, I put my things in my locker, signed in, and started the exam at 8 am. The number one thing I would recommend is TO TAKE THE BREAK. I fueled myself back up with a few sips of coffee, water, almonds, + an apple (more brain food I found in the article :laugh:). I went to the bathroom + got back to my seat way before my break had ended -- make sure you give yourself time to sign back in + get situated. The exam WILL continue whether you are there or not.
1. STAY CALM. Anytime I got worked up during the exam, I would tell myself "STOP. You cannot afford to freak out. This is the REAL THING and you need to stay focused." It really helped me stay on task.
2. If you don't know something, mark it and move on. There were a few questions I had no clue about, but when I moved on + came back to it, the answers would click in my mind. This happened a few times, so please please please don't freak out if you can't think of an answer right away :)
4. Whether you get the scores you hoped for or not, BE PROUD of yourself for all the effort you put in. I know it can be upsetting if you don't do well but this is not an easy exam. You should still congratulate yourself for your handwork + effort, ++ kick booty next time around!

Good luck to everyone who hasn't taken the exam yet. Stay confident + work hard! You can do this! Let me know if you have any questions :cat:
Congratulations! You Destroyed the DAT and put in the hard work to achieve these scores. If you could recommend something what would it be helpful for reading, 27 is HUGE! Our classroom students like you often use achiever and feel it is on point or harder than the actual DAT. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of summer..

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! You Destroyed the DAT and put in the hard work to achieve these scores. If you could recommend something what would it be helpful for reading, 27 is HUGE! Our classroom students like you often use achiever and feel it is on point or harder than the actual DAT. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of summer..

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Thanks! And thank you so much for your help -- Destroyer was very helpful and made me feel confident going into the exam. A major tip for reading is to keep your mind engaged and reading every day! I didn't practice DAT reading passages every day, but I would read for my enjoyment. This kept my mind engaged. I think if you read every day, you teach your brain to better focus on what you are reading. In addition, I would suggest doing a few practice exams to make sure you're timing is down!

Thanks! And thank you so much for your help -- Destroyer was very helpful and made me feel confident going into the exam. A major tip for reading is to keep your mind engaged and reading every day! I didn't practice DAT reading passages every day, but I would read for my enjoyment. This kept my mind engaged. I think if you read every day, you teach your brain to better focus on what you are reading. In addition, I would suggest doing a few practice exams to make sure you're timing is down!
Thanks for taking the time to reply, that is exactly what I tell our classroom students and try to convey to students on SDN!

22/26/22/23/20/27/20/23

Preparation:

Practice Exams:

BIO/GC/OC/PAT/QR
21/21/20/19/19

Test Day:

Those are some fantastic scores! Congratulations! It's breakdowns like yours that encourage me (especially because your 2009 scores almost mirror mine). I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, you have definitely earned it.

Reactions: 1 users
Those are some fantastic scores! Congratulations! It's breakdowns like yours that encourage me (especially because your 2009 scores almost mirror mine). I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer, you have definitely earned it.
When are you taking the DAT Bear?

Last edited: