DAT DESTROYER _ organic chemistry - orgoman destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gold Cherry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Dr Romano, can you please explain to me why is this in a basic solution?? I thought we only look at the top and ignore the solvent even if it was basic. Why isnt c2h5oh Acidic and get attached to the most substituted carbon???
Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The solvent is ethanol. But there is also deprotonated ethanol present (which is basic).

Also, alcohols are not acidic. Phenol is the only acidic alcohol and it’s very very weakly acidic.

Edit: typically the solvent is placed below the arrow, but I don’t think it’s a requirement to always have it below the arrow. So watch out for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The solvent is ethanol. But there is also deprotonated ethanol present (which is basic).

Also, alcohols are not acidic. Phenol is the only acidic alcohol and it’s very very weakly acidic.

Edit: typically the solvent is placed below the arrow, but I don’t think it’s a requirement to always have it below the arrow. So watch out for that.
Thank you much!!