DAT done 8/3/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aed2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my DAT. I'm glad its finally over I have been really stressed out about it. Here are my scores:

PAT: 21
QR: 15 :(
RC: 21
Bio: 29
GC: 24
Org: 23
Total Science: 26
Academic Average: 22

All in all I did much better than I expected. I am disapointed to see the 15 in QR. Heres my information:

Florida resident. GPA ~3.7. Science GPA ~3.6. At USF. EC's: ~60 hours of shadowing at a UF dental clinic, ~250 hours of undergraduate research and counting, dental club, intermurral soccor/football, and I have participated in a handful of group service projects at USF. I am worried that with the 15 in QR and being short in volunteering might hold me back. I have 4 letters of recommendation 2 from science proffessors, 1 from a former president of the Florida Dental Association, and 1 from a UF dental professor. I am getting ready to finish my application I just have to write my personal statement (any advise would be great). I am planning on sending my application to UF, (first choice), NOVA, Alabama, Indiana, and possibly some others. Any opinions on my chances at UF or elsewhere would be appreciated.

THE BREAKDOWN:

I started studying 5/4/2009. I boutght the kaplan book and read it in a week. The following week i started the kaplan class. The in class time was a waste but the online resources + the book were well worth it. I turned both books inside out, made note cards, drew diagrams, did all the online work, every thing i could get my hands on. All of my pratice test info is below, i thought it was interesting that i scored much higher on the real dat than the pratice. Everything i have always heard told me it would be the other way around. anyway i studied about ~25 hours a week untill a month before then it moved to ~8 hours a day, and finally 2 weeks before it was close to 10 hours a day. The studying was gruling but i guess im happy with my scores.

So thats about it. I just used kaplan's program and studied allot. occasionaly i would use my science texts as a refrence but that was pretty few and far between.

Diagnostic---(scores were low but it was the first time w/e )
PAT: 16
QR: 13
RC: 17
Bio: 16
GC: 14
Org: 20
Total Science: 17
Academic Average: 16

Midterm--(some improvements)
PAT: 20
QR: 16
RC: 18
Bio: 17
GC: 16
Total Science: 18
Academic Average: 17

Final-- (not where i want to be yet)
QR: 17
Bio: 19
GC: 15
Org: 19
Academic Average: 17

Test 1--(3 weeks before)
PAT: 22
QR: 18
RC: 19
Bio: 17
GC: 18
Org: 18
Academic Average: 18

Test 2--(2 weeks before)
PAT: 23
Bio: 20
GC: 19
Org: 18
Total Science: 19

Test 3--(2 days before. i freaked when i saw my chem score)
RC: 18
Bio: 21
GC: 14 :eek:
Total Science: 19

REAL DAT
QR: 15
RC: 21
Bio: 29
GC: 24
Org: 23
Total Science: 26
Academic Average: 22

PAT: This was definately much harder than the pratice kaplan tests. the angle ranking was rediculous. when i was taking it i was figuring i was gonna get about an 18. It worked out well though, i just stayed positive and used the kaplan methods for each problem.

QR: OMG i got murdered on this section. i usualy get about an 18, and i wasnt even worried about this section going into the test. I usualy cruse through the test and anwser all of the easy questions then come back for any hard ones i skipped. Well when i took the real test i finished all of the easy ones in about 8 min ~8 problems. /sigh. i went back and worked my way through the rest of them but eventually ran out of time and had to guess on ~7. I have never seen any pratice test with a QR section this difficult. i definatley felt under prepared.

RC: The reading section was pretty straightfoward, i used the kaplan mapping method for the first article, but abandoned it on the second which was all keywords. by the time i finished the second article i was down to 13 min for the last section. Luckilly it was on experimental genetics, (i work in a genetics lab) so i had no problem with the questions.

Bio: Everyone complains that the questions are so random, but biology is a huge field so they have to cover alot of info. All in all the questions were much easier than the kaplan tests i took, and all of the questions save one were things i had seen before. Honestly notecards are the best way to study for this. Just turn the whole bio section of the kaplan book into notecards and you will soar through the test. BTW 2 of the questions were identical to the pratice tests... lol. (~20 min on this section but i came back to it after finishing the whole test)

GC: This was also much easier than the kaplan tests. most of it was simple theory, and there were only ~10 or so questions that required any calculations. On top of that most of the calculation questions were the format where you just pick the formula with the numbers filled in meaning no actual math had to be done. saved me soo much time. (20 min for whole section)

Org: First let me say that this is my strongest subject. I just finished Ochem in the spring and loved every second of it. If there was orgo 3 i would take it. Anyway i sudied the least for this section, i looked over my book 2 days before the test and brushed up on the names of the reactions i already knew by heart incase they asked me some weard reaction stuff. Nothing too tricky here, most of it was very simple and ~5 of the questions were about lab techniques e.g. "these compounds could be seperated by which of the following techniques?" needless to say they are freebees. All in all i wouldnt reccommend the kaplan stuff for this unless you already have a solid foundation in organic, and even then it didnt cover some of the other things like wittig or aldol condensation stuff.

Thats about all I can think of for the moment my brains pretty fried so I'm gonna take a nap. If you have any questions or have any imput on my chances I would really appreciate it! Good luck to anyone who is about to take the test!

Members don't see this ad.

Great job, I took it today too, what reading passages did you have? I had the dreaded piano, cellular messaging and something else, can't remember at the moment.

wow great scores!

omg, 29 on BIO, how did you study for it? and any tip on it?

i am struggling with it... :oops:

congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I had your RC (possibly your exact DAT exam). I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought that this QR section was darn near impossible! Good job though!

For bio i found it helped if i drew out diagrams of the processes. i pretty much mapped the whole body, all the enzymes produced by each organ, the things that controll those organs, and the organs that controll those organs...ect...lol. I know that im a very visual learner so doing this helped me a lot. beyond that notecards are the way to go. ive taken bio one and two, cell bio, and genetics so i guess i have a solid backround in bio but anything related to anatomy i had to get from kaplan since i havent ever had an anatomy course. I dont know what else to reccomend besides that its kind of hard to study for this since its such a broad subject they can really ask you anything. When you study try to keep the bigger picture in mind. Its great if you know the in's and out's of glycolysis but if you dont know where it happens then your SOL. =) good luck.

Hey congratulations on those incredible scores!

As for the lab questions you experienced in organic chemistry, is kaplans chapter 12:purification and separation sufficient to answers these questions? If not, then can you direct me to another resource.

Thanks!

I wouldnt worry about that QR schools. I have heard from at lease Indiana that the QR is the section they care the least and I know someone that got it with a 15 in the QR

you hammered this one chief! congrats! i had the same reading passages and they really were straightforward. good luck big show!

it's really a shame you have that QR marring those beautiful science scores, but I really don't think you'll have a problem getting into just about any school you choose, provided that you have a decent personality and don't completely F up an interview :)
congrats! celebrate!

btw what were you percentiles?

What are some of the theories out there that explain why QR often is the lowest score? Because people who were obviously prepared for everything else surely were not dumb enough not to study for the QR.

There were a couple of Topscore questions on probability that had strange explanations with obscure formulas (the rolling 6 heads in 9 tries problem comes to mind). So how prevalent was probability on your exam?

I definitely had your DAT version, talk about an impossible QR eh? Good job on everything else!

Great scores. i would not worry about QR score. I got a 16 in qr and a friend of mine got a 15 and the rest of our Dat and gpa are lower than yours and we both got in.

most schools will tell you that QR is their least weighted section

i dont think you have anything to worry about

and are the lab questions similar to the questions at the end of chapter 12
thanks again!

Chapter 12 is more than you need to anwser any of the questions i saw on the test. the only challanging experiment question i saw was something like problem one "a mixture of sand , benzoic acid, and naphthalene in ether is best seperated by". and even this wasnt hard. It more or less tested wether you knew what certain techniques were and why you would use them.

What are some of the theories out there that explain why QR often is the lowest score? Because people who were obviously prepared for everything else surely were not dumb enough not to study for the QR.

There were a couple of Topscore questions on probability that had strange explanations with obscure formulas (the rolling 6 heads in 9 tries problem comes to mind). So how prevalent was probability on your exam?

Probability took up about 3 of 40 questions suprisingly trigonometry showed up more frequently about 5 of 40 questions...I hate trig.

Great scores. i would not worry about QR score. I got a 16 in qr and a friend of mine got a 15 and the rest of our Dat and gpa are lower than yours and we both got in.

most schools will tell you that QR is their least weighted section

i dont think you have anything to worry about

You have no idea how great that makes me feel. Thanks so much for your imput!

Percentiles:

PAT: 21 - 92.2%
QR: 15 - 39.0% :(
RC: 21 - 84.5%
Bio: 29 - 99.9%
GC: 24 - 95.2%
Org: 23 - 94.3%
Total Science: 26 - 99.9%
Academic Average: 22 - 96.4%

Great scores.. I took my kaplan exam III today and got a 14 on gchem... man I am so depressed but your post gave me a hope.. other than that I did fine.. any suggestions for Gchem... I am so worried about it..

How would you say the sciences on the Kaplan Full Length Practice Tests correspond to the real thing? I just took my Practice Test 1 today and got an 18 again for TS (I got this on my final as well) even though I should have done better today after I saw some of the ones I missed. I have two more practice tests to take in the next week before my test though... Hope I can boost them up. Any suggestions?

Jesus Christ... is everyone and their mama's scoring 22 and 23 AAs? It makes me feel stupid for getting a 19/19/22.

Anyways, great scores! i don't think you'll have any problems getting in.