DAT: If you want 18 or higher on RC read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you want to score 19 or higher on the reading comprehension section of the DAT ? If the answer is yes, here?s how to do it. PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.
There?s two parts to this. First, one needs to practice on daily basis for at least 30 days.
Second, you need to practice with accurate practice materials. Let me explain the second point. Just by reading two articles from Discover or Scientific American you are not going to improve your score. Although the articles from the above magazines are similar to the passages of the DAT, they do not contain the 17 questions that follow each article. In other words, just by reading a chapter of General Chemistry and memorizing some of the formulas, you?d not score high on the DAT unless you apply what you have learned by doing some problems. ( ask anyone who scored over 20 on the G-chem section of the DAT, they?ll tell you that they practiced and practiced ). Also keep in mind that there?s a major difference between the MCAT reading section and DAT reading section. 80% of the DAT questions are factual which is not true for MCAT.

The point is this: if you want to score 18 or higher on the reading section of the DAT and reading comprehension is your weakest area, you need to practice with the type of materials that are similar to the DAT. I?m sure you?ve already felt that there?s very few practice materials available for the reading section of the DAT. ( This is also true if you are taking the Kaplan course. ) The ultimate question is how to get good practice materials? The answer is simple: let?s make our own materials.

Here?s how to do it

1) Let?s form a study group whose members are truly committed to work hard and improve their scores.
2) Each member of the group must be determined to pick an article from the following magazines and write 17 multiple choice questions about it . And e-mail it to the rest of the group. You only do this once a week. By doing this you not only getting 6 passages back from the other members but soon you gonna figure out how those test writers write the questions and thus on the BIG DAY you?ll find it easier to find the answer because you know what to look for.

( Scientific American, Discover, American Scientists, Journal of the American Dental Association, The New England Journal of Medicine, and other Scientific magazines or journals )

3 ) Before, I write more about this and how we gonna do it , I want to know who is interested in this. I HAVE TO POINT OUT THAT YOU NEED TO SPEND ABOUT 30 MINUTES A WEEK to write your passage. If you think you have the time and you really want to score 18 or higher on the reading section of the DAT PM or reply this post.

Members don't see this ad.

Great advice, AT03!

Make sure you read a lot on the computer. Learn to scan passages and look for key words along with the glare of the screen. This is very important since reading on a computer screen is more tiring than reading paper.

It is a skill that can be mastered with practice.

DesiDentist

I do not think you have to study for a month. heck, you do not even need to read passages in any magazines. All you have to do is read the passages quickly, recall where you can "find" certain information, and be able to pick up the author's tone in the passage. Is he trying to give you infomration on a particular subject, is he biased on a particular subject, etc...If you start learning these simple techniques I have mentioned, I guaratee 18+ on your DAT. Remember two valuble points, do not try to store any of the information, unless the question its asking about that subject is relatively simple. Remember where to find the information!!! I cannot stress this point enough

I agree with croco. Your ability to recall or have a rememberance of where the info is located is key. I should have studied more. I took one practice test with the RC on it three months prior to and the day before taking the actual DAT. I scored an 18. Not too good I know.

I think for 30 days, every day is overkill personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even have to recall information on mine. I only missed 2-3 questions (99.999+%ile), and finished with 20+ minutes to spare.

Each question directed me to a specific paragraph. The topics weren't technically difficult (although one was about the oocytes of some water animal), and the questions were direct and simple.

It just isn't very hard to figure out the tone of a passage.

Still, AT's thoughts may prove very beneficial for those who struggle with reading or who are completely psyched out by the reading section.

Don't stress--it'll be easier than you imagine!

I can totaly relate to what AT says. Reading comp on DAT is no big deal for lots of people, but when English is not your native language, reading 3 long and scientific passages and trying to answer 50 confusing questions in matter on min become a nightmare. those who dont belive me, can pick up a scientific magazing in a foreign language and try for themselves.

if you look at the Reading scores of those who identify themselves an not-native English speakers, most of the time, you will see that the RC score is lower than the average of Native English speakers. why? b/c we read a bit slower than them. this is why the whole "practice, practice, practice" deal comes....

Comet

Are still doing it or do you have your stuff from before

:thumbup:

AT03 said:
Do you want to score 19 or higher on the reading comprehension section of the DAT ? If the answer is yes, here?s how to do it. PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE.
There?s two parts to this. First, one needs to practice on daily basis for at least 30 days.
Second, you need to practice with accurate practice materials. Let me explain the second point. Just by reading two articles from Discover or Scientific American you are not going to improve your score. Although the articles from the above magazines are similar to the passages of the DAT, they do not contain the 17 questions that follow each article. In other words, just by reading a chapter of General Chemistry and memorizing some of the formulas, you?d not score high on the DAT unless you apply what you have learned by doing some problems. ( ask anyone who scored over 20 on the G-chem section of the DAT, they?ll tell you that they practiced and practiced ). Also keep in mind that there?s a major difference between the MCAT reading section and DAT reading section. 80% of the DAT questions are factual which is not true for MCAT.

The point is this: if you want to score 18 or higher on the reading section of the DAT and reading comprehension is your weakest area, you need to practice with the type of materials that are similar to the DAT. I?m sure you?ve already felt that there?s very few practice materials available for the reading section of the DAT. ( This is also true if you are taking the Kaplan course. ) The ultimate question is how to get good practice materials? The answer is simple: let?s make our own materials.

Here?s how to do it

1) Let?s form a study group whose members are truly committed to work hard and improve their scores.
2) Each member of the group must be determined to pick an article from the following magazines and write 17 multiple choice questions about it . And e-mail it to the rest of the group. You only do this once a week. By doing this you not only getting 6 passages back from the other members but soon you gonna figure out how those test writers write the questions and thus on the BIG DAY you?ll find it easier to find the answer because you know what to look for.

( Scientific American, Discover, American Scientists, Journal of the American Dental Association, The New England Journal of Medicine, and other Scientific magazines or journals )

3 ) Before, I write more about this and how we gonna do it , I want to know who is interested in this. I HAVE TO POINT OUT THAT YOU NEED TO SPEND ABOUT 30 MINUTES A WEEK to write your passage. If you think you have the time and you really want to score 18 or higher on the reading section of the DAT PM or reply this post.

I'll committ to the study group...let me know when to start..sounds fun.. ;)
AT03 said:

Here?s how to do it

DDSdude said:
I agree with croco. Your ability to recall or have a rememberance of where the info is located is key. I should have studied more. I took one practice test with the RC on it three months prior to and the day before taking the actual DAT. I scored an 18. Not too good I know.

I think for 30 days, every day is overkill personally.
*nods* My strategy was speed read as fast as possible. THE best advice is to attempt the MCAT verbal (maybe practice some mock MCATs if possible) then practice the DAT reading comp. Since VR is infinitely harder on the MCAT, it will train you to read incredibly fast, answer f***ed up questions and it will help immensely in RC (as it is mainly content based with very little VR trickiness). I wish I did that the first time I wrote the DAT. I scored in the 90th percentile when I tried that tactic. Good Luck.

Yeah
I agree with Comet
since i'm an international student also, and scored only 17 on Kaplan practice..

I'd definately like to improve this score..
I want 21 over all!!!!!
hehe

AT.. private message me when you are about to start

thanks

i'll probably just wing it.
that's going to be the key to my success in the RC, math, and PAT sections...

DAT's are just around the corner, aug. 12th maybe

I'll commit to the reading comp studying group too. Please let me know when you guys are ready to begin.

AT03 said:

Here?s how to do it

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter how old is the post. As long as we get people to join, I think it'll be helpful for the RC section. Is anybody out there organizing the study group?

I wish to participate no matter how old this thread is it's worth doing it. My email [email protected]. I am retaking teh DAT in January just because I had a 15 on RC the first time.

I really don't see the point to this. Why waste time making questions when you could be practicing? I scored pretty high on this section without studying, but if I had to study for it I would get some MCAT verbal practice books. Examkrackers has one with 101 verbal passages. Your time will be better spent practicing & going over answers. Really, this section shouldn't be difficult unless English isn't your first language.

If English isn't your native tongue, I would practice reading for speed in general. Reading scientific papers is one way to go about it, but I don't know too many people who will speed read a scientific article unless they were specifically proofreading it without regard to content.

NY Times, Economist, and etc, and any genre of books that are interesting to you. Really, the passages I encountered were nowhere near as dense as scientific articles. They were comparable to newspaper columns in fragmented thought and themes.