DAT in two days, last minute tips appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hdkyu10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just took the '09 test today, and got GC 26, OC 22, Bio 23, RC 21, PAT 24, QR 20. I still feel pretty unprepared because a lot of the questions seemed like stuff I just studied recently. I also felt VERY pressed for time on PAT and RC. What should I do on my last day before the test to help prepare?

The test is at 12PM. I've been getting pretty tired around ~2-3PM every day, and I'm worried this will happen on Friday. Can anyone recommend what kinds of foods I should eat the night before and the morning of to keep me alert? Also tips on falling asleep would be appreciated--I've been having trouble sleeping because of anxiety.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I just took the '09 test today, and got GC 26, OC 22, Bio 23, RC 21, PAT 24, QR 20. I still feel pretty unprepared because a lot of the questions seemed like stuff I just studied recently. I also felt VERY pressed for time on PAT and RC. What should I do on my last day before the test to help prepare?

The test is at 12PM. I've been getting pretty tired around ~2-3PM every day, and I'm worried this will happen on Friday. Can anyone recommend what kinds of foods I should eat the night before and the morning of to keep me alert? Also tips on falling asleep would be appreciated--I've been having trouble sleeping because of anxiety.

Thanks so much!
Hi, your 09 scores look great, again it's hard to predict exactly what you score on the DAT but all indications are good. I don't think you will get tired the day of the test, adrenaline will keep you going. Don't make any changes to your normal routine, if you eat breakfast eat the same thing you always eat. This is not the time to experiment on new foods, etc. Most students do not sleep the best the night before the exam, that's ok. You will make it a day with less sleep and trust me the adrenaline helps. Do not take any thing for sleep that might make you less alert on test day.

Always remember to breathe..there are tons of mediation videos on line, you might find them helpful to ease the stress.

Wishing you the very best and feel free to pm should you have any questions.

Take care..Nancy

The 09 RC is way overkill lol. It's pretty impressive you got over a 20 in it. If you need coffee/sugar just do it. It's one day and if you feel bad afterwards it will be worth it for the good score! I did fairly well on the practice ADA tests and choked on attempt #1; don't be too headstrong but I'm sure you'll do well :D

I advice against caffeine on test day, as Nancy said the adrenaline will keep you awake and the caffeine puts you at risk for panicking. Pomegranate juice is a good substitute :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah that 12 PM. I'm taking it at that time too so I'm so excited I get to sleep in! I've always complained I didn't do well on the SAT cause they had me wake up at 7:30 on a Saturday :| Morning are rough and now in college anything before 9 AM feels even harder
DAT is the best that they let you take it when you want.

Good luck! Your scores look good! Just go over what you got wrong and keep reviewing. Pay attention on test and you'll do amazing!!

Ah that 12 PM. I'm taking it at that time too so I'm so excited I get to sleep in! I've always complained I didn't do well on the SAT cause they had me wake up at 7:30 on a Saturday :| Morning are rough and now in college anything before 9 AM feels even harder
DAT is the best that they let you take it when you want.

Good luck! Your scores look good! Just go over what you got wrong and keep reviewing. Pay attention on test and you'll do amazing!!
Mornings are ok if you get used to them lol but I took my DAT around noon just so I would have time to calm down before it. I don't think you should sleep to the last minute because you might be groggy/in a rush haha!

Last edited:
Haha I just know I won't be able to sleep till very late. I would hate to go to bed at 2-3 and have to wake up at 7. But now I get to sleep till like 9.
Noo! haha I'm gonna get up do some stretching eat something nice and probably go over Feralis notes quickly and do 5 min of Bootcamp generators maybe. Also go over math formulas. What did you do the morning of do get you brain started?

Won't go too hard. Just a little to get my mind thinking about all those bio facts I've learned for 9 weeks haha

My exam was at 12pm also, I slept A LOT the day before, and did light review. You're probably getting tired from the amount of studying. The day before I woke up ate amazing breakfast, napped, woke up light study, watched TV, did a QR and PAT, then just stopped studying. I ate a lot of fruit to get them glycogen store up, cause test day you'll burn it fast.

I did have half a cup of coffee about 3 hours before the test. Then saved the other half for the exam break. I did take a sip before I went in to make sure I was alert. I took like 2-3 sips during the break, didn't finish it. I also ate an apple again light so I don't get tired, but lots of sugars in it.

. EAT well, you need the nutrients. I had omelette with cheese, chicken breast, any fruit works, Lots of water. potatoes for the carbs. toast, more water, orange juice.

to sleep, I did some light exercise, nothing big. If you eat a lot before bed you can just food coma hahah, its delicious and helps you sleep.

Reactions: 1 users