Tips for DAT from a DI Student-Athlete! (24AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALLRAYN

Reaction score
Here’s how I used DAT Bootcamp to score a 24AA on the DAT, studying during my spring semester as a Division I student-athlete:
1686335270687.png

The DAT Bootcamp lays out an 11-week day-by-day study schedule, which I used to create my own personalized study schedule. Due to some outside circumstances, I unfortunately had to study for the DAT during the spring semester and take the test in May. I set my test date before anything else in order to keep me accountable and on top of my studying. I highly recommend doing this.

My test date was exactly 20 weeks out from when I started studying over winter break. I knew I could not dedicate more than 2-3 hours a day to studying for the DAT during the school week, so I used this extended time period to stretch out Ari’s 11-week study schedule even further. I went through every day of the semester, allocating certain “Days” of Ari’s study schedule to my own schedule. For example, I allocated an entire “Day” (probably 6-8 hours) for each day I studied over winter break, spring break, and some Saturdays, and only allocated half of a “Day” for each weekday during the semester. I strategically placed my “rest” days on days where I knew I’d be traveling for games, studying for finals, or otherwise unable to do any DAT studying, and it worked out great! While I do not recommend studying during the school year if summer is an option for you, I have come to realize that this is what many people end up doing, and I think it’s very possible!

My semester ended on May 16, and I purposely scheduled my test on May 26 so I could have 10 days spent doing very dedicated studying. I used each of these days to take a full length practice test in the morning, then to review the questions I got wrong in the afternoon and to revisit science material from earlier studying (since I hadn’t seen some of this material since January). This was the time that I feel best prepared me for the actual test. The practice tests allowed me to build stamina and comfort with the format and length of the actual test, and some of the questions on my real exam were ones I recognized from the practice tests! Additionally, it was a way to build my confidence and have a good feeling of the score I could achieve when walking into the test. I can’t stress enough how useful the practice tests are.

1686335270705.png

I have attached a screenshot of my progression of these practice tests, especially for comparison to my actual scores. My actual Bio and PAT scores were way higher than I had scored in any practice tests, and I don’t think this was just a strike of luck. I found that these sections, especially Bio, were easier on the real exam than the practice questions and tests. I definitely recommend still spending a significant amount of time studying both of these sections– Bio was the subject I spent the most time studying by far– but don’t get too bogged down on the details. DAT Bootcamp’s Biology videos go into great depth of the subjects, and to me it felt a little overwhelming. I didn’t spend too much time memorizing the small details, but I definitely engaged with each of the videos and reread my notes to retain as much of the information as possible.

BIO (19 practice average, 25 actual)- Much easier on the real exam. Still go through all of the Bio videos on Bootcamp at least once. Don’t get too bogged down on the details.

GC (22 practice average, 22 actual)- Very similar to DAT Bootcamp practice tests. Focus more on concepts than longer math-heavy questions.

OC (20 practice average, 22 actual)- Also very similar to Bootcamp practice tests. Again focus on bigger trends but also be familiar with specific reagents and what they do.

PAT (20 practice average, 23 actual)- Easier on the real exam, but still do plenty of practice. I struggled a lot with having enough time to answer all the questions on the Bootcamp exams, but found that it was much more manageable on the actual exam.

RC (24 practice average, 26 actual)- Very similar to the Bootcamp practice exams. I felt that I struggled on the QBanks and figuring out which method I wanted to use. I found that the Vanilla method worked best for me (quickly read through the entire passage in about 6-7 minutes, then use the remaining 12-13 minutes answering questions and going back through the passage to find answers).

QR (22 practice average, 24 actual)- Slightly easier than the Bootcamp exams, but still pretty similar. Definitely get familiar with the types of questions that are asked and review any concepts you are less familiar with. This was the section I spent the least time studying for, but it probably depends on the person.

If I could have done anything differently, I might have taken a full length test earlier on in my studying to identify the areas where I needed the most improvement; however, I also think this could have been a confidence killer if it went poorly. If you know yourself you can probably decide whether this would be a good idea.

I took the day before the exam completely off to give my mind a rest. I highly recommend this. Don’t review, don’t do practice, don’t even think about the material. Go for a run, hang out with family or friends, prepare your snack for the break, lay out a comfy outfit, maybe go over the rules and guidelines for the exam and testing center, make sure you have your 2 forms of ID, and then get to sleep early! Sleep is the most important factor in doing well on ANY test! Attack the test with confidence and crush it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user